Dell Inspiron 1546's FPS Issue with Intel Graphics

YamagiLight

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hey all,

I bought this week a Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop, and I'm having some issues regarding the performance in games.
In general, the laptop wasn't bought for playing games, and I knew from the beginning I shouldn't expect much from it when it comes to games.
However, I was abit shocked from the performance in an old game such as Day of Defeat 1.3.
The FPS will not cross the 50-60 zone, and the most ridiculous thing of all is the 6 fps while grenade explodes.
I really don't think ANY computer, PC or Laptop should be THIS bad in 2010, while playing a 10~ years old game.
The rest of the laptop's configuration should give a boost even with low graphic card.

That's the specifications of the laptop:

Intel® CoreTMi3 Processor 330M 2.13GHz ,1066MHz FSB 3MB L2 Cache
15.6 HD (720p) glossy WLED display ( 1366X768 ) with TrueLife
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
320GB Hard Drive Serial ATA 5400RPM
4GB DDR3 1066MHz dual channel

Windows Indexing:

CPU - 6.2
Memory - 5.9
Graphics - 4.6
Games Graphics - 5.1
HD - 5.7

3DMark2006 score: 1695.

To be clear, I'm well aware that this laptop DOESN'T fit for games. However, I still think it SHOULD have more fps in a game like DoD 1.3.
I had more than 6 fps with my gforce 2 card 10 years ago!

Besides DoD I didn't try any other game.. and according to the windows indexing and the overall PC performance @ the desktop it seems find.. maybe there's something else I'm missing. My first time ever with laptop.

Thanks in advanced.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If the commands are the same as Counter-Strike 1.6 then type this in the console ~

hud_saytext 0 <----"This disables chat in the server and was the only command that gave me constant 60 FPS in CS 1.6 with OpenGL. It is worth sacrificing chat for constant FPS in my opinion."
fps_max 60
fps_modem 60 <----"fps_max didn't work for me, but fps_modem did."
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100
rate 20000

For the grenades exploding and lowering your FPS. There is nothing you can do about that. I have the same issues with my Intel GMA 4500MHD and it's just the limitation of the integrated graphics.

Also, make sure you have the latest Intel Graphic Drivers (2086). These drivers gave me a 10-15FPS boost from the stock drivers.

3D Section:
Texture Quality: Balance
& all the other settings on "Application Settings"

YamagiLight

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks alot for this information.
From your words I see that it's not something wrong with my machine, but this graphic card is just dreadful.
It's pretty sad actually. To know that manufacturers still produce hardware that can't manage games 10 years ago.
As a former gamer (That's why I still play from time to time DoD), I'm embarrassed to own such inferior card.
Atleast my PC still has 8800GTS to run DoD on 100fps ^^