Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2010 11:01:10 PM

Hi All,

I have the following setup:

Intel core i7 920
Win 7 64-bit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 graphics card

I am running 2 24" monitors: Samsung Synchmaster 2433bw, Dell E248WFP

I have been having issues with this card since I built the system in 9/09. Basically, windows startup would proceed and then blank the screen, requiring the monitor cable to be unplugged and plugged back in (sometimes several times) to generate a picture.

Since I added the Dell monitor, this has only worsened.

Most often, the following occurs:

Computer boots with POST and messages on Dell screen. Windows entry screen on Dell screen. Just prior to "login" the computer switches the main screen to the Samsung. Enter password, computer accepts and enters. Now things get wierd.

-sometimes the computer completes boot into windows with just the Samsung running, Dell now in sleep mode. The NVidia control panel will sometimes not show the monitor as installed. Sometimes (rarely) it will boot with both screens running. SOmetimes it will boot and then I will hear the "device removed" sound from Windows and the monitor will go blank.

When I boot with just the Samsung, I get to the "logon sound" but then I have no picture to enter the password. REmoving and reinstalling the monitor cord usually solves this issue. Afterwards, looking at the windows monitor setup often shows the Samsung along with a "generic non PnP" monitor even if nothing else is hooked up.

When I boot with just the Dell, the same thing occurs. However it often takes multiple times of removing the cord and replugging it to get a picture up.

If I book with the Samsung and THEN plug in the DEll it usually works correctly.

If I enter "nvidia control panel" I often lose the 2nd monitor. If I click on "manage 3d settings" often it creates a loop that I have to reboot to get it out of.

I am at my wits end on this. I have upgraded all drivers to most recent (both monitors and GTX260). I am thinking of updating the video board BIOS, but I wanted to see if anyone else had other ideas. I have seen this issue talked about quite a bit but I don't see a great solution that has been arrived at as of yet...

Any help much apprecaited. Thanks!

-TN

More about : gtx260 win issue

March 29, 2010 1:17:40 AM

bump

anyone?
m
l
March 29, 2010 3:52:53 AM

Just FYI, I seem to have been able to fix this problem - I downloaded the most recent BIOS (firmware) updater for the card and ran according to instructions on the website. Voila, seems to have fixed it.

Mods, feel free to close threat, thanks.,
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 3:54:32 AM

Thanks for posting back with the solution since you solved it on your own (that will hopefully help others). Sorry nobody here could help with your problem (before you solved it at least).
m
l
March 29, 2010 9:54:42 PM

EXT64 said:
Thanks for posting back with the solution since you solved it on your own (that will hopefully help others). Sorry nobody here could help with your problem (before you solved it at least).

ext - you're welcome; thanks for the note.

However, the problem came back today with a vengence.

I'm at a total loss on this one. I also changed Win 7 to auto-login to skip that step, thinking that maybe the transition from one screen to the other (changing resolutions?) may be the culprit. Doing this, it booted to the Dell all the way though - which unfortuantely is my extra screen so I couldn't see the start bar, etc.

This is one of the most frustrating computer problems I've ever had ... I'm about "yay" far away from switching over to the ATi card ....

Any suggestions?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 10:07:55 PM

Very very odd... First, I would try swapping around the Display cables (I assume you are using DVI?) if you have some extra's, swap out the ones you are using now and see if maybe you have an intermittent problem with the calbe. Otherwise it seems to me like either your GPU has some issues with its display outputs or one of your monitors (most likely the Samsung) has a problem. Try swapping which port the monitors are plugged into and see what happens. If you get the same problem with just the Samsung coming on as the secondary screen, its your GPU. If it swaps so that its still just the Dell coming on, but as your primary screen, then its the Samsung.
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:38:43 PM

flyinfinni said:
Very very odd... First, I would try swapping around the Display cables (I assume you are using DVI?) if you have some extra's, swap out the ones you are using now and see if maybe you have an intermittent problem with the calbe. Otherwise it seems to me like either your GPU has some issues with its display outputs or one of your monitors (most likely the Samsung) has a problem. Try swapping which port the monitors are plugged into and see what happens. If you get the same problem with just the Samsung coming on as the secondary screen, its your GPU. If it swaps so that its still just the Dell coming on, but as your primary screen, then its the Samsung.

I have swapped cables around with no difference. Yes, both are connected via DVI. I have swapped the ports back and forth a few times and that makes no real difference either.

Fortunately, I can usually get it to work by plugging/unplugging both monitors a few times and listening to the windows sounds. Sometimes pulling it out results in nothing. Sometimes it results in the "device removed" sound. Same goes for inserting - sometimes putting it in does nothing, while other times it results in the "device inserted" sound.

Going into the NVIDIA control panel also sometimes causes one or both monitors to black out.

The Samsung does the same thing when it's alone (I just got the Dell a few months ago).

The Dell behaves the SAME way when it's connected to the card alone.

I updated my motherboard BIOS after finding some posts suggesting that could be the root cause. No go yet. I just updated the NVIDIA drivers one last time and am about to try that again.

I'm leaning towards GPU issue but man ....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 10:42:25 PM

Does it happen in both ports, even if only one of the monitors is connected?
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:45:00 PM

flyinfinni said:
Does it happen in both ports, even if only one of the monitors is connected?

I believe it does, but I am not 100% sure. Good question - though - I can test that if you think it would be helpful.

It seems like both ports are working. It almost seems like the card forgets to send a "wakeup" signal to the monitors, or the monitors go into sleep mode too fast when they don't get a signal or something ...

Just rebooted with new drivers. Started up with signal and desktop on Samsung, Dell off. Turned Dell on from NVIDIA control panel and it came up.

I'm gonna try from a cold boot and see.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 10:47:59 PM

It would tell you if the problem is specifically tied to one of the DVI ports on the GPU, which would tie it more specifically to the GPU itself as the cause as opposed to just some weirdness in the setup as a whole.
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:50:37 PM

flyinfinni said:
It would tell you if the problem is specifically tied to one of the DVI ports on the GPU, which would tie it more specifically to the GPU itself as the cause as opposed to just some weirdness in the setup as a whole.

Cold reboot = same result. DEsktop on Samsung, turned on Dell via NVIDIA.

I feel that the NVIDIA is detecting both monitors right now, just turning the one off by default. The name of both appear under the "select displays you want to use" on the multiple displays tab. As soon as I check it, it gives me the graphical representation and hitting apply turns it on (hear the windows remove/add sound while it turns on).

Is there a way to make the NVIDIA panel default to having both on?

I will try to reboot with the Dell in each port and see what happens.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 10:55:04 PM

It seems that maybe its just not saving your settings properly. I don't know why that would be though because if you set it up and save your settings, it should boot up with the same configuration the next time unless you disconnect one of the monitors.
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:56:36 PM

flyinfinni said:

Fly - WHOA - we have a successful startup. I swapped the ports - i.e. switched which port each cable was plugged into. Now startup and desktop occured on the Samsung and the desktop extended automatically onto the Dell.

How wierd is all of this ......

Is one of the ports "primary?" Was i confusing it by trying to make the 2nd port monitor primary or something?

I'll play a little more and see if this is actually stable ...
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:57:10 PM

flyinfinni said:
It seems that maybe its just not saving your settings properly. I don't know why that would be though because if you set it up and save your settings, it should boot up with the same configuration the next time unless you disconnect one of the monitors.

There's no frank option to "save," just FYI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 11:00:32 PM

Right, but when you apply your changes, it should save that configuration, and continue to use it until either you change it, or the setup it detects changes.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:00:37 PM

flyinfinni said:

Just worked again.

COngrats fly, I think you've solved it. Not sure what we did, but it seems to be working without me having to climb behind it and plug/unplug cords.

Let's hope it sticks around!

Thanks for yoru ideas - if it comes back I'll do your idea first and post back here ...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 11:05:29 PM

sounds good. Hope it sticks:-)
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:14:04 PM

flyinfinni said:
sounds good. Hope it sticks:-)

nope. didn't work.

first cold reboot samsung was off. warm reboot got both up. repeat warm reboot ... and dell is off.

I'm occasionally seeing "TV" listed as well on the NVIDIA control panel. Windows is showing 2 additional monitors connected .....

I'm gonna try to boot with one as you suggested and I'll let you know how that goes ..

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 11:24:27 PM

Do you have the drivers for each monitor installed? Are they both recognized by name?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2010 11:24:53 PM

Thats really odd man. I'm not sure, but I don't think your GPU is detecting the connected displays properly.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:31:01 PM

EXT64 said:
Do you have the drivers for each monitor installed? Are they both recognized by name?

EXT Yes, both installed and usually recognized by name. WHen everything is working well they are recognized by name.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:33:35 PM

flyinfinni said:
Thats really odd man. I'm not sure, but I don't think your GPU is detecting the connected displays properly.

Fly -

ready for some even wierder stuff?

So for the DELL monitor:

L VGA port - booted OK (shows additional monitor connected, generic VGA)
R VGA port - failed (shows 3 monitors connected)

SAMSUNG monitor:

L VGA port - failed (plug/unplug made it work OK, shows extra generic VGA display as above)
R VGA port - booted OK (but reboot failed).

The above doesn't even make sense to me ...

What would be causing the GPU to not detect the connected displays?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2010 12:45:58 AM

I'm leaning toward a dying/buggy GPU.
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:07:00 AM

sabot00 said:
I'm leaning toward a dying/buggy GPU.

Yeah that's sorta what I was afraid of. I'm more on the "buggy" side as it hasn't changed much over the past few months ...

I'd really love to know what it's "conflicting" with.

There have been other reports of this around the internet but I'm not seeing anyone come up with a solution .... Kept hoping that one of the driver releases would take care of it ....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2010 5:00:55 PM

I would imagine that a driver release isn't gonna be able to fix that. It sounds more like a truly damaged/intermittent GPU. If the card is under warranty, I would RMA it and get it replaced. If its not still under warranty, I'm sorry! I'm not sure what else you can try other than a different card at this point. Has it always behaved like this?
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:16:29 AM

Fly,

It is still under warranty. I dropped a line with Gigabyte today (anyone have any experience with their email support?). They don't list a phone number to call which is sorta a bad sign IMHO ...

It hasn't always been as bad as it is now, but yes, I have has issues with it for a while with occasionally not recognizing the monitor. When I was running just the Samsung I would sometimes have to unplug/replug the monitor ... at first I chalked it up to WIn7, new system build (my first one), etc. At this point I agree with you that something is wrong.

When the card works, I am happy with it. Right now I think I'll RMA it, but per Gigabyte's policy I have to send it back before they will send me out a new one. Which means for a while I'm not gonna have a video card. I guess I either have to pick up a cheap one or just wait it out ....

If I were to switch cards (I was thinking from NVIDIA to ATi), any suggestions? I'm not a big gamer - I run Flight Sim basically as my only "serious" game ... do some video capture/editing, DVD/HD TV playback, etc ... but mostly run of the mill stuff. I'd like to be able to run games but am not gonna be a gamer anytime soon ...

-tn

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2010 12:23:59 AM

RMA it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 12:27:06 AM

By Flight Sim, which one do you mean. Microsoft FSX?
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:28:10 AM

EXT64 said:
By Flight Sim, which one do you mean. Microsoft FSX?

Yes, FS X.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 12:31:49 AM

Well, historically ATI cards had "issues" with FSX. All cards do I suppose, but they had problems with the way clouds were done. Unfortunately, this was a little while ago and I have not seen any comprehensive analysis of 5800s in FSX. Still though, if FSX is your primary game, you might be better off waiting for your RMA. It should only be a couple of weeks I'd hope.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:45:12 AM

EXT64 said:
Well, historically ATI cards had "issues" with FSX. All cards do I suppose, but they had problems with the way clouds were done. Unfortunately, this was a little while ago and I have not seen any comprehensive analysis of 5800s in FSX. Still though, if FSX is your primary game, you might be better off waiting for your RMA. It should only be a couple of weeks I'd hope.

Yeah, I'd hope. In the mean time maybe I'll find something over on Ebay ....

what a pain .....

Thanks again for all of your help and knowledge ... I appreciate it ...

-tn
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2010 4:29:22 PM

I would RMA, and if you need to, just pick up a cheapo card off of newegg (you could get a 4350 for like $20 yesterday I think) Whatever you can pick up just to run for a couple of weeks to have desktop function until it comes back- never hurts to have a backup anyway:-)
If you are thinking of switching and getting a new ATI card, the 5770 is going to be the closest performing to what you have now. A 5850 would be the best buy, and a nice little upgrade, but I don't know how you feel about spending $150 for a 5770 or $290 for a 5850.
m
l
!