Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and Vista dropped packets

Last response: in Networking
February 15, 2010 3:24:52 PM

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum section but, here is my question:
Has anyone noticed packet loss in Win7 or Vista that is not present in the same hardware running WinXP?

I have tested this on two separate computers on two separate internet connections (both were using Comcast residential connections). Both computers use the built in LAN connections on the motherboard (one realtek, one marvell) and are connected (via ethernet cable, not wireless) to the internet through D-link routers (two different models) and mototrola cable modems.

When using a free ping tester to ping a site like google.com at a ping frequency of 1 per sec, the two computers when running WinXP pro will have a packet loss percentage of about 0.1 to 0.2% if left to run for a couple of hours. On the same computers (dual boot- one with Vista ultimatex64 and the other with Win7 prox64), the packet loss is about 6 to 7% with Win 7 and Vista if left to run for a couple of hours. Seems like a significant drop rate... (all drivers are up to date- I double checked the LAN drivers several times to be certain).
March 25, 2010 8:19:00 PM

hi

we have just rolled out vista snd i have noticed that running the same ping test through s hub on a vista machine and a vista machine through the same hub the xp pc reported back zero packet loss, the Vista pc reported back between a .4% down to .25% packet loss.

The server has the correct patch and i have updated the drivers on the pc.

Not much on the web at the moment on this subject. and not to sure of the implications, on the whole most applications dont seem to be affected but we do have problems with one application migrated to vista but as yet cannot put this down to the packet loss, the event log on the pc shows periods when certain applications seem to infer that it has been unable to retrieve data back in a timely fashion.

Any ideas let me know
March 26, 2010 12:55:44 AM

Using the built-in ping I'm not seeing any loss on Win7 Pro x64:

Ping statistics for 69.147.125.65:
Packets: Sent = 1427, Received = 1427, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 33ms

Ping statistics for 74.125.65.103:
Packets: Sent = 1385, Received = 1385, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 15ms

This was for about 20 minutes or so over Comcast residential service, with a Motorola 5100 modem, IBM Proventia M transparent mode (for IPS), and Cisco ASA 5505 firewall / router.
!