Sign in with
Your question

Audio does not work after nvidia card installation

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 4:56:03 PM

Hello,
I have installed a new video card from Nvidia, and now there is no sound. When I check Sounds and Audio Dev, it says "No Audio Device". How do I restore the sound?
Thanks,
BJ
June 30, 2010 5:11:08 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I have installed a new video card from Nvidia, and now there is no sound. When I check Sounds and Audio Dev, it says "No Audio Device". How do I restore the sound?
Thanks,
BJ

Does your OS see the sound card? You'd need to look in Device Manager to see if the OS even detects the hardware. If it doesn't, I'd try to reinstall the sound device's driver.

On a side note, I recently got a new GTS250 to replace an old dead ATi card and my onboard sound suddenly stopped working at the same time. The pair of USB speakers I have attached worked perfectly, but the onboard sound quit. I assumed the onboard audio on my old motherboard had gone flaky and simply popped in an old PCI Sound Blaster card which worked perfectly, but maybe there's something going on here. My computer did detect the onboard sound hardware and it appeared in the mixer as a valid sound device, but it simply refused to work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 10:25:53 PM

does the new card have hdmi? Likely that sound is being routed thru the hdmi instead of the soundcard...
m
l
July 1, 2010 1:19:32 AM

popatim said:
does the new card have hdmi? Likely that sound is being routed thru the hdmi instead of the soundcard...

Yes, but the NVIDIA cards do not have an onboard audio chip like ATi R600+ cards do. There is a cable to connect to the S/PDIF header on your sound card to get audio out over HDMI.
m
l
Related resources
!