Last response: in Graphics & Displays

What card is the overall better??

Total: 504 votes (259 blank votes)

• GTX 470
  • 30 %
  • HD 5850
  • 71 %
March 29, 2010 12:25:08 AM

So this is the second poll and from what was gathered every one is leaning more towards the two cards as the best possilbe.
This is about the only thing that eveyone agreed on lol, but if you have some facts, info or a general interst in the possible
quest to the ultimate quesiton, and getting the ultimate answer then your in the right spot.

The 5850 is a card that is running below the $300 mark with plenty in stock, and has capibilitys that have proven it to be quite the catch. Since being out manufactures have been releasing there own vision of the card from the toxic to new upcoming Asus direct cu, which is increasing the cooling. So with the upcoming release of the new GTX 470/480, god only knows what ati is going to do to retaliate, my personal guess is the release of the whole line of the new asus's which every site seems to not have any asus 5850s out(which is were I go this hunch), and also I have a big feeling that prices are atleast going to go back to original release price. So I plan on a lot of big changes by the end of Q2.

The 470 the new green power hungry machine, is cranking out high perfomance out of the box, and has built such hype that one can only ask which card is better.
With features like 3D and PsyX, one being the probable future and one being the past, one might ask is this card really new or has it already been getting out dated since it was suppose to be released? With PsyX pretty much a dead technolgy and only a few games even bother to have it, some would say yes, It has.

On that note I would like anyone that has an opinion even if its just "that one sucks" post it, but atleast have a reason to why lol.

More about : gtx 470 5850

March 29, 2010 12:39:05 AM

I would go for the 5850 for 300$ with a free copy of MW2.

The 5850 preforms similar enough to the 470, and the high temps, noise, and power usage of the GTX 470 scare me.
March 29, 2010 12:45:22 AM

Well i'd just go for the 5850 b/c you can oc it to 5870 levels or beyond, and it will last longer due to how much less heat it releases.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 12:52:25 AM

As far as I am concerned, the GTX 470 is definitely sucking.
March 29, 2010 12:53:58 AM

No resoanble person would buy the GTX 470 short of GPGPU and flashing bios and putting Quadro Bios on it.
March 29, 2010 12:55:37 AM

You might say the fan is to loud, but they only cranked it up to 100% because its in open air and there is no fan on it, but if your playing video games with speakers then you could crank it up and not hear it, but if they had any cooling system it wouldnt need to be that high, just for the record.
March 29, 2010 12:58:50 AM

Did you see the temperature on that video, only 100*F, and that is it cranked up on high, now what was the 470's temp stock???
March 29, 2010 1:00:19 AM

I abonded the customary system when I graduated from first grade.

Please use the Metric system .
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 1:08:27 AM

If both were the same price I'd probably choose the GTX470.

For some people, 10% increase in performance is worth a $50 and 60watt increase.

For me, the performance increase isn't worth the extra cost - and my case doesn't dissipate heat very well so I'll choose the 5850 over the GTX470.
March 29, 2010 1:13:30 AM

FOr rhose people who the 10% difference is worth money and power, why not buy a 5970 or a 5870?
March 29, 2010 1:38:08 AM

builderbobftw said:
I abonded the customary system when I graduated from first grade.

Please use the Metric system .

Oh I put the *F cause some people dont get it, but then again I am on toms, so 38*C my bad lol.
Man that psu is :pt1cable:  I wouldn't even need a HX1000 for a CFX setup I plan on getting the
HX850 if they arn't completly out of stock everywhere. That is one thing a lot of people over look is what
kind of hardware are going to have to get when you purchase products.
If I had a liquid system and tons of extra cash I think having the EVGA 470 FTW would be pretty cool, but
I am all air, cause I am cheap, lazy, and scared of putting water in my computer, and ruining my 5850 lol,
but if I got the 470 and a water cooling system I could use it for boiling my water for top ramen.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 2:04:49 AM

The sad thing is, people are going to buy the GTX480 with OEMs (ie Voodoo, Alienware) selling systems with it.

At anyrate, 5850 FTW!
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 2:15:48 AM

You all do realize that the GTX 470 is competing with the 5870, not the 5850. With driver maturity and in tessellation-heavy games the GTX 470 will perform on par or faster than the 5870 and it overclocks very well to boot. All this for $70 less.

However, neither of them can really compete with the 5850 as neither of them can match that price v. performance, though for some the extra performance will be worth it. A 5850 that you can volt mod is a much, much better deal.

Also do note that the 5870 overclocks too, and will always be faster clock or clock than any 5850 because it has 160 more SP.

But yeah, not a fair comparison.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 2:22:41 AM

I went with the 5850, as I am betting the areas Fermi shines (Tesselation) will not be heavily implemented (or implemented well) in games at least until next gen. However, if that is not the case (I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball) and games do swing toward the Fermi architecture very quickly, I could see it being the better buy, assuming it actually is buyable at some point (in mass quantities).
March 29, 2010 2:27:27 AM

Your correct, the asus 5870, if you have the little extra cash, can OC just as good as his padowan. If your looking for super highend best single gpu on the planet, yeah you right cause when talking about the asus 5850 ocing its usally competing with the 5870 stock. The reason I say the 5850 is better overall is cause you can get it for just under 300$ and get stock 5870 stats. But I want to add is that the 5870 is currently under 400$, and if it gets any lower it will become the greatest overall ever, and all they would have to do to terminate Nvidia is drop the 5870 to 350ish cause who in the right mind wouldn't get that. So if we all get lucky when nvid releases there cards, ati will lower there prices.

*Hey I tried making another poll for the new 890FX chipsets, and I can never get the poll to work, i set it till the am3 release, does anyone know why it keeps doing that to me, or if someone can redo it or something, I just put all the current known list of 890FX. SO can any one help on this, I dont get it this voter worked.
March 29, 2010 3:09:22 AM

AMW1011 said:
You all do realize that the GTX 470 is competing with the 5870, not the 5850. With driver maturity and in tessellation-heavy games the GTX 470 will perform on par or faster than the 5870 and it overclocks very well to boot. All this for $70 less.

However, neither of them can really compete with the 5850 as neither of them can match that price v. performance, though for some the extra performance will be worth it. A 5850 that you can volt mod is a much, much better deal.

Also do note that the 5870 overclocks too, and will always be faster clock or clock than any 5850 because it has 160 more SP.

But yeah, not a fair comparison.

I put the 470 against the 5850 to give the 470 the upper hand, and if you want I can make one thats the 480 and 5870 or 5970 I just like being practical and I made it cause boths sides only agreed on one thing, that the 470 or 5850 are the best bargin.
Also if your to write such a big claim and want people to beleive you, you should put a link to where they can read it. I am not calling you a lier or anything, just it would get your point across, so people are more likely to see what you are saying.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 3:16:20 AM

Well, the tessellation advantage is readily readable in almost all reviews. Not many can argue that - if the whole card can tessellate, it will tessellate well. The real question is will games use it and use it well (not just a way to kill FPS on either card).

Driver Maturity improvements is pure speculation, however it is speculation backed up by almost every card release over the years. Question is, does the 5800 have any more hidden potential at this point, and how much driver work has NVidia already done?
March 29, 2010 3:28:28 AM

EXT64 said:
Well, the tessellation advantage is readily readable in almost all reviews. Not many can argue that - if the whole card can tessellate, it will tessellate well. The real question is will games use it and use it well (not just a way to kill FPS on either card).

Driver Maturity improvements is pure speculation, however it is speculation backed up by almost every card release over the years. Question is, does the 5800 have any more hidden potential at this point, and how much driver work has NVidia already done?

Everyone is putting so much emphasis on driver maturity, a simple way to test how much of a difference it actually makes is to find benches of the 5870 on release and make new ones with current drivers and compare.
March 29, 2010 3:29:51 AM

I was talking about the 5850 vs 470 part, I have seen the tessellation, there is a couple of demos on the tube. and like you said what games are going to run better with it or without it.
I have been hoping to get info about what ATI plans on doing, if you check every site and nothing. What I am hoping for is for all the companys esp. asus to release there suped up version, and lower the prices so there is a couple of them between 280 and 300, and for the 5870 well if they can just drop its price to 350/370 then that would make this a new ball game. Also they might have a new driver the eyefinity 6, no one knows. But when nvidia releases them to the public will have a better understanding of prices and stock.
a c 228 U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 3:31:54 AM

If you are looking at DX11 @ 1920 x 1200 and high settings.....the 470 has the lowest "dollars per frame" cost by a wide margin with the 5850, 5870, 5970, 470 and 480 in the mix

So far I am split.....

I'd take the 470 over the 5850 and the 5870 over the 480.....today....
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 3:43:06 AM

I agree Jack, the 470 definitely is an interesting part. Now we need some new games to really put these cards through the paces.
March 29, 2010 4:00:52 AM

Wasn't dx 11 supposed to increase performance? So far that hasn't been the case.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 4:03:47 AM

No, it certainly hasn't. I'm hoping that is just due to the hack job these first games have been. But it may just be it allows for more difficult things at less FPS hit than doing in 9 or 10.
March 29, 2010 4:10:22 AM

EXT64 said:
No, it certainly hasn't. I'm hoping that is just due to the hack job these first games have been. But it may just be it allows for more difficult things at less FPS hit than doing in 9 or 10.

Eh maybe your right, but it still has a major performance hit. I hope, like you do, that its the games that are the problem.
March 29, 2010 4:50:52 AM

I just got done reading anandtech.coms review and the GTX 470 is 5-10% slower than 5870, so you get 90-95% perfoemance fo around 86-87% the price, but its only 2-8% faster than the 5850.
Noise in idle and load its only 2 dbA louder, and with temps. Furmark GPU temps the 470 is only 3 degrees hotter. Loading Crysis GPU temps is:the 5870 is at 77 and the 470 is at 93-right there is where its scary hot. Idle the 5870 is 39 and the 470 is at 46.
This was there rating and I have read almost identical ones yesterday.
So the question is really do you want that extra 8% better than the 5850 for the heat in your computer? This question is onlyl for certain people, this is the last question to ask, cause you might of already chose ati cause you have 3 screens, or you alrady chose nvidia cause you want 3d.
But when if comes down to it the 470 and esp the 480 soiled there name with the ridiculously high temps. which scares many people away, cause honestly I wouldn't get it for 8% higher. And from what the stats say that only makes the 5850 around 15% less than the 5870, and can easily get up to 20-25% more out of it.

So the 5850 is the ka-stan-za, while the 5870 stands out as the best single gpu card, cause I think even nvidia fanboys will admit that the 480 runs way to hot for normal use, to me it still needs to be worked on but they already behind so there just going to throw it out there. Anyways once the 5870 2 gb is out, its going to destroy it.
So I would get the 5870 if I have the extra cash, I would plan on getting the 5850 cause it is going to save me money and if I can get one for 300 and a 5870 for 385, then all i would lose is 10-15% performance, which would cost be 80 bucks to get that extra 10-15. Then if your looking for something in between and are going with intel the 470 is a good choice, I would just make sure I have plenty of air flow. I would get the 480 only if I got the EVGA 480 FTW, which comes ready to plug in tubes from a water cooling system, which would be pretty sweet but then were looking at a minimum of 800$.
So all the specs on the 400s are in the link, and my opinion is based on the hours I have spent learning, and I don't have a personal referenec currently I have a 9400GT in my rig as a quick fix from when my lastest 9800gtx which fryed and had a big black spot, which was a replacement from my original ATI card which I dont remember what it was, but that was put in a different computer and is still running, so ati cards last longer with me, nvidias have always fryed, fan go out, or would just stop working.
I will stop so here are the links: Sorry for all the writing I am done.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=1
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 11:58:06 AM

The 470 seems like a scitsophrenic to me; competing (and beating) the 5870 is some games, loosing to the 5850 in others. On the whole, it justifies its $350 price, which is quite competitive with the 5850 (Which seems to average around $339 on newegg/amazon as of last week)
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 12:19:55 PM

I marked up the 5850 which I have been enjoying a while now anyway + would still choose.

Here in the UK we have typical prices like:

Asus 5850 £224.99 $335.24
Asus 5870 £319.99 $476.79
Asus 470 £319.99 $476.79
Asus 480 £448.99 $669

At these prices Fermi just doesn't even get a look in :( 
March 29, 2010 12:49:47 PM

The question is which card is better. Not which card is better for the price.

In most instances, the 470 gives more FPS than the 5850. This is the most important metric.

The downside is the 4870 uses more power and generates more heat. Which isn't as important as FPS, but it's something to consider.

Overall, I would say the 470 is better than the 5850, but I would probably buy a 5850 over a 470 because of the lower price and it's been out for 6 months or so with proven reliability. The 470 hasn't been battle tested over time. All things being equal, higher temps increase the likelihood of electronics failure.
March 29, 2010 1:32:04 PM

The gaming industry does not follow PC market anymore but console market since it brings back more money . Next gen console will obviously make full use of DX 11 and heavy tessellation ; so the games will be developped around these 2 keys elements.

It does not mattter than ati 5xxx cards are better than new nvidia cards in DX9 or 10 benchmark, what does matter is the performance in DX11 since they re DX11 cards. If your "uber" ati 5xxx card loose 30 or 40 % perf in DX 11 games, you might as well stick with the 4xxx serie. And the same goes for tessellation, if your 5xxx card loose a lot of perf in heavy tessellation, whats the point ? Give 6 more months to Nvidia, let the DX11 games market mature and let see what happens ...
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 1:55:45 PM

It's not that the 470 is a bad card,but it is not that impressive either. We were expecting something more, a little more refined, and a little faster maybe, for being so late to that table. We just expected, and wanted better than what they have released. That is all.
March 29, 2010 3:31:22 PM

If you didn't care about heat and it isn't a problem, then it looks a whole lot better. With the 470 being where its at, its closer to the 5850 right above it, then its just within 10% lesser than the 5870 which is good since it isn't the flagship.
You got to look at what your going to be doing with it, I only have a 24" so I can run up to 1920x1200 so I dont care about anything higher than than. I also look at what games I want and see the benchs, since in most cases its a back and fourth between them, I try to figure what would be the best my situation.
The thing is in reality it would be hard to tell any huge difference between a couple of fps difference, so I would consider any of them cause no matter which one I pick I am getting a good average fps, but definetly would like to get the one that is better for a good price. The 5870 better overall yes , better for 400 instead of 350, yeah the 350 is more than just 350 with varietys up to 500, but when speaking of the cheapest the 5870 is really good price, not much more than the middle to highest price 5850 or 470, but this is speaking of now, prices should lower first with the nvidias, then the eyefiny 6, and 2gb 5870, so we should see a major drop with the cards and I think they will get as low as there original release price, which would make since cause they probably chose that price cause they thought nvidia was releaseing ther card to lol. I would definetly count on them lowering, also everywhere I go all the Asus cards are gone from everysite, its not for sell anywhere, I hope they are planning on releaseing the directcu cause its only supose to be like 10 more than reference.
Anyways its still to early to worry abou price, which gives us time to go through all the benchs and stats, but I would atleast for now know you budget and work with in some lines. The only problem is if your going with the 470 you have to get intel, and if I am getting intel I would get the X58 1136. But this can cost a lot more than what AMD is charging for a decent product. I want to get atleast the 1055T with one of the new 890FX prefeably the GD70, cause the hex-cores will give amd an advantage to 200-300 dollar range. Right now you can get the best amd and best board for around 350-400, with intel to get something like the i7 920 and an EVGA X58 SLI it is running between 500-600. So if you go with amd you can spend all that extra on a 5870.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 4:07:37 PM

Knup42 said:
The gaming industry does not follow PC market anymore but console market since it brings back more money . Next gen console will obviously make full use of DX 11 and heavy tessellation ; so the games will be developped around these 2 keys elements.

I laughed at that. You DO know that most every device that uses 3d-rendering [The 360 being the ONLY exception] uses OpenGL, or a varient of the base OpenGL language. I find it far more likely that new consoles will be built around the OpenGL 4.0 spec.

I for one can't wait for Rage, and Id's new engine. [Especially since that means the ID4 engine will likely be open-sourced around teh same time :D ]
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 4:11:50 PM

The frustrating bit about this release is that if you go through the reviews linked here on Tom's, they span the entire range from "Wow, the 470 and 480 deliver all the performance we thought they would" to "Wow, the 470 and 480 really let us down". I understand there is some subjectivity in the value placed on the heat and power consumption, but I'd certainly like to see some more consistency in the reviews.

The majority of what I have read is that (barring any significant price shifts from either camp) these NVidia cards fall right where you would expect them to in the price-performance pecking order, but the fact that many users may need to accompany and 470/480 upgrade with a PSU and/or cooling upgrade may be a dealbreaker. If you want to see the max framerates with all settings cranked up, period, then the 470 is better than the 5850 and the 480 is better than the 5870. However looking at your rig, your cooling situations, psu, etc may be a big factor.

There is no simple answer here as to which is better (hence the variety of interpretations of these cards' performance and appeal), but make no mistake- the 470 and 480 are faster. I think that will serve to drive their prices up (at least initially) while driving down ATI prices in response. This would make a card like the 5850 an even harder deal to beat for value conscious enthrusiasts.

For those looking to buy soon, I'd highly recommend waiting a month or so to see what shakes out.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 4:35:59 PM

AMW1011 said:
You all do realize that the GTX 470 is competing with the 5870, not the 5850.

What do you mean?

If the HD5850 isn't competing with the GTX470, then the GTX470 isn't competing with the HD5870.

5850 + 10% = GTX470 + 10% = 5870 + 10% = GTX480.
March 29, 2010 5:00:26 PM

Knup42 said:

It does not mattter than ati 5xxx cards are better than new nvidia cards in DX9 or 10 benchmark, what does matter is the performance in DX11 since they re DX11 cards. If your "uber" ati 5xxx card loose 30 or 40 % perf in DX 11 games, you might as well stick with the 4xxx serie. And the same goes for tessellation, if your 5xxx card loose a lot of perf in heavy tessellation, whats the point ? Give 6 more months to Nvidia, let the DX11 games market mature and let see what happens ...

I agree the game console market is what ultimately NV and ATI are aiming at. And Intel with Larrabee for that matter.

After the 360 red ring issues, I doubt MS will want to go with an oven for a processor. Probably ditto for Sony and Nintendo.

The winner in the next gen console will be whoever can provide just enough horsepower for whatever TVs are in use (Probably 1080p60 3D images) with low power and a low price. Right now, I would give the edge to AMD/ATI since fermi, as it stands now, is too big, expensive and hot. Larrabee has been put on ice for who knows how long. nVidia may have a better chance at the console market with Tegra than Fermi, since Tegra may provide a single solution that can be used in home and portable devices.

Next gen consoles are still 2-3 years away, so a lot can change between now and then.
March 29, 2010 7:17:46 PM

I want to see a 5850 OC'd to 100C temps on Liquid vs a 470 OC'd to 100C temps on liquid.
a c 192 U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 7:36:26 PM

From the conclusion of the review at HardOCP:

"GeForce GTX 470

Starting from the bottom up, we would say the least relevant video card is the GeForce GTX 470. In all our gameplay testing today, not once did the GeForce GTX 470 provide a superior gameplay experience compared to the Radeon HD 5850, even in Metro 2033. In fact, performance was very close between both video cards, and in some cases the Radeon HD 5850 proved to provide faster framerates. Looking strictly at performance, these video cards are equal.

Of course, we have to look beyond just performance, as metrics such as cost and power consumption come into play. The GeForce GTX 470 is more expensive than the Radeon HD 5850. We are seeing some great deals on Radeon HD 5850 cards starting to crop up, and the fact is that the Radeon 5850 can be purchased with a lot less of your cold hard cash. Looking at power, the GeForce GTX 470 consumes a good bit more power than the Radeon HD 5850, while also producing higher thermals.

The HD 5850 is the clear value winner when compared to the GTX 470. We have been telling you that the Radeon 5850 is the best value in enthusiast video cards since last year and the GTX 470 does nothing to change that."
================================
The full review is here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_...

Short answer: HD5850 > GTX470

March 29, 2010 8:12:23 PM

With sites like the OCP they get a nvidia card sooner and test it, and I have read reviews from 5 websites(were I read all the time and never get steered the wrong way). After all of them there is one thing for certain, where the 470 sits right next to the 5850, with its price and temps it is not the bargin choice.
Since the 470 & 5850 both can OC to achive higher ratings, the only problem once again is the 470 loads at 92C OCing it anymore is going to hard unless your running a liquid cooler. On the other hand if you get the 5850 and OC it to the roof and pass the stock 5870 by aleast 150mhz, the asus 5850 is for sure able to do this and it is able to OC up to the 5870, and it does it with at 32C.
To me that is a huge margin, I want to play with my card so unless I invest in a liquid cooling system, I probably wont get the 470, cause I am going to need to plug everything in my computer up to the liquid cooling unit cause I am not sure if all the parts were meant for 92C+. With the 5850 new designs are on there way with there own technology of cooling and also factory ocing and different editions.
I have read from OCP, ANandtech, 3dguru, OCC, and a couple other random site.
They all show about the same result with the 470s heat issue, and places the 470 next to the 5850 and 2-5% above it. WHat I didn't see was a test setup with all four doing torture tests, OCing tests, and so on, cause even an OC test is really worth cause I am sure half the people that get one of these card are going to tweak it up at little( or a lot). I would like to see a computer setup to run the 4 cards in 8 hour sessions of game play while reading temps and so fourth, I think it would prove a lot of good points.
March 29, 2010 8:24:26 PM

Hey Salt, i don't want to sound like a dick, but can i give you a few pieces of advice?

1. Make sure to avoid using to many commas, and posting run on sentances.

2. Download a browser like Google chrome or safari with spell check.

3. If you're writing long messages, make a new paragraph complete with an indent and a full hit enter key space between them.

4. You have very good points, and you seem like a nice guy, but some people disregard you to to you're run on sentences and poor spacing
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 9:29:11 PM

You made this thread just to argue.

Also in STALKER: Call of Pripyat DX11 does increase performance, *cough* research please next time *cough*.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 9:31:55 PM

Firefox tends to have the most dependable spell checker, at least for me.
March 29, 2010 10:04:31 PM

Sorry I had crash problems with firefox which did auto spell check and what not, I also had problems with Chrome so currently I am using Explorer 8. I think the problem is because I always reply in the quick reply box instead of where I am writing now. My bad I wasn't trying to make it sloppy and hard to read. I don't take suggestions as being rude unless you make it point to be a dick.

As for the forum, I didn't have any agenda as far as to argue at people. I thought that there was a lot of info on the web, so if we got everyone to vote and talk about the cards. I think after all whats been written I have gotten a way better idea of what the 470 and the 5850. If I came off as someone who is just looking for a fight that wasn't my intention. How ever I did plan on choosing one of the cards so I would like to get everyones thought on the issue and thats why I made the forum. I am not super rich so I do like to save money, and I do save money by foruming and talking to others with more experience than me. Thats what makes Toms the ideal place for beginners to even professionals.

I do think the 470 has a lot to offer, with 3D, PsyX, and all the other good stuff. I just don't know if it's worth buying over the 5870 or 5850. I checked this morning and the majority of the 5850's are 300-330$, while the 5870 is 390-420. If this keeps up I am sure when I buy I would pick one of these up. Performance is the first thing I look for then does it out weigh its price. I personally would be super happy with any of them, the only problem is I am on a budget. If I were to go with intel it would cost 300 for a decent chip and about 300 for a good MoBo then I would get he 470 for 350. If I were to get the AMD 955/965 it would be 200, with the MoBo costing another 200 and then I would get the 5850 for 320. Obviously these are rounded and what the ideal setup would cost.

So I want to apoligize for any mishaps, including any misunderstandings. I like to think I understand but if I wrote something tha is incorrect or wrong let me know, because I am not a mind reader. To wrap this up I hope we get to answer the ultimate question of which card is the overall winner. This is a general question with every individual it will be diferent, but it is a good start point if your are still not sure of what to get. So vote and bring your thoughts to the table. :hello: 
March 29, 2010 10:29:34 PM

There we go thnaki, for the spacing man.

Easier to read.
March 29, 2010 10:52:49 PM

:lol:  I always just used the quick reply so this is a lot better cause I get to use the emoticons. I have been checking through manufacturers sites and Asus has the 470 that comes with all the programs the other one comes with. Also I saw a 2gb 280 LE! I thought that maybe one of the companys solved the heat problem cause in the reviews I read none stated which brand they were using. If a company like Sapphire were to put there vapor x on one or make a toxic 470 maybe that would give Nvidia the angle to get out this heat problem.

This was posted from the last forum that we stopped using, this link shows what you got to do to get your 5850 to out beat the stock 470.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696250/Radeon-HD-585...

I am glad people are starting to do real world tests, that proves that the 470 is only 5-7% beter than the 5850. If this true than the 470 better lower its prices to compete with the 5850. I really would like the 470 to run the 5850 for its money, cause then we would be seeing lower prices on both sides. This is another test that gets some facts on the table. Once it gets released there are going to be a hundred videos on the tube with people doing tests, which is good cause I won't buy this month. I don't plan on buying till Q3, July being the soonest and Septembet being the latest. There is to much going on right now to make a decsion. The whole computer is upgrading big time this year. We got Sata and USB 3, Hex-Core, Dx11, 890FX and other new boards, and there are some nice cases coming out like the HAF-X and the LanBoy. These are all the future and should you wait for all of these, your computer will be future proofed.
March 29, 2010 10:57:25 PM

I reamin skeptical of 4+ cores for gaming.
March 29, 2010 11:15:47 PM

builderbobftw said:
I reamin skeptical of 4+ cores for gaming.

Your right, thats why I said it was good for future proofing cause it really isn't needed as of yet, besides for it to compete with intel. The quads can handle pretty much everything for the most part, I think getting a newer mobo is worth the extra cash, the MSI 890FX is so sweet! A year from now Hex-Cores will be a must have, but for now I am thinking of just getting the mobo, and a 955. So if in the future I can just throw on a thuban to my mobo that was made to handle it.
!