• GTX 470

Votes: 77 29.6%
  • HD 5850

Votes: 183 70.4%

• Total voters

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So this is the second poll and from what was gathered every one is leaning more towards the two cards as the best possilbe.
This is about the only thing that eveyone agreed on lol, but if you have some facts, info or a general interst in the possible
quest to the ultimate quesiton, and getting the ultimate answer then your in the right spot.

The 5850 is a card that is running below the $300 mark with plenty in stock, and has capibilitys that have proven it to be quite the catch. Since being out manufactures have been releasing there own vision of the card from the toxic to new upcoming Asus direct cu, which is increasing the cooling. So with the upcoming release of the new GTX 470/480, god only knows what ati is going to do to retaliate, my personal guess is the release of the whole line of the new asus's which every site seems to not have any asus 5850s out(which is were I go this hunch), and also I have a big feeling that prices are atleast going to go back to original release price. So I plan on a lot of big changes by the end of Q2.

The 470 the new green power hungry machine, is cranking out high perfomance out of the box, and has built such hype that one can only ask which card is better.
With features like 3D and PsyX, one being the probable future and one being the past, one might ask is this card really new or has it already been getting out dated since it was suppose to be released? With PsyX pretty much a dead technolgy and only a few games even bother to have it, some would say yes, It has.

On that note I would like anyone that has an opinion even if its just "that one sucks" post it, but atleast have a reason to why lol.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Well i'd just go for the 5850 b/c you can oc it to 5870 levels or beyond, and it will last longer due to how much less heat it releases.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v19475744ZBw375y4#
I found this about a month ago, and thought is was quite interesting, do enjoy!
I will look harder and around more to find anything that looks remotely legit abou the 470

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
You might say the fan is to loud, but they only cranked it up to 100% because its in open air and there is no fan on it, but if your playing video games with speakers then you could crank it up and not hear it, but if they had any cooling system it wouldnt need to be that high, just for the record.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

:lol:

If both were the same price I'd probably choose the GTX470.

For some people, 10% increase in performance is worth a $50 and 60watt increase.

For me, the performance increase isn't worth the extra cost - and my case doesn't dissipate heat very well so I'll choose the 5850 over the GTX470.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Oh I put the *F cause some people dont get it, but then again I am on toms, so 38*C my bad lol.
Man that psu is :pt1cable: I wouldn't even need a HX1000 for a CFX setup I plan on getting the
HX850 if they arn't completly out of stock everywhere. That is one thing a lot of people over look is what
kind of hardware are going to have to get when you purchase products.
If I had a liquid system and tons of extra cash I think having the EVGA 470 FTW would be pretty cool, but
I am all air, cause I am cheap, lazy, and scared of putting water in my computer, and ruining my 5850 lol,
but if I got the 470 and a water cooling system I could use it for boiling my water for top ramen.

AMW1011

Distinguished
You all do realize that the GTX 470 is competing with the 5870, not the 5850. With driver maturity and in tessellation-heavy games the GTX 470 will perform on par or faster than the 5870 and it overclocks very well to boot. All this for $70 less.

However, neither of them can really compete with the 5850 as neither of them can match that price v. performance, though for some the extra performance will be worth it. A 5850 that you can volt mod is a much, much better deal.

Also do note that the 5870 overclocks too, and will always be faster clock or clock than any 5850 because it has 160 more SP.

But yeah, not a fair comparison.

I went with the 5850, as I am betting the areas Fermi shines (Tesselation) will not be heavily implemented (or implemented well) in games at least until next gen. However, if that is not the case (I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball) and games do swing toward the Fermi architecture very quickly, I could see it being the better buy, assuming it actually is buyable at some point (in mass quantities).

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Your correct, the asus 5870, if you have the little extra cash, can OC just as good as his padowan. If your looking for super highend best single gpu on the planet, yeah you right cause when talking about the asus 5850 ocing its usally competing with the 5870 stock. The reason I say the 5850 is better overall is cause you can get it for just under 300$ and get stock 5870 stats. But I want to add is that the 5870 is currently under 400$, and if it gets any lower it will become the greatest overall ever, and all they would have to do to terminate Nvidia is drop the 5870 to 350ish cause who in the right mind wouldn't get that. So if we all get lucky when nvid releases there cards, ati will lower there prices.

*Hey I tried making another poll for the new 890FX chipsets, and I can never get the poll to work, i set it till the am3 release, does anyone know why it keeps doing that to me, or if someone can redo it or something, I just put all the current known list of 890FX. SO can any one help on this, I dont get it this voter worked.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I put the 470 against the 5850 to give the 470 the upper hand, and if you want I can make one thats the 480 and 5870 or 5970 I just like being practical and I made it cause boths sides only agreed on one thing, that the 470 or 5850 are the best bargin.
Also if your to write such a big claim and want people to beleive you, you should put a link to where they can read it. I am not calling you a lier or anything, just it would get your point across, so people are more likely to see what you are saying.

Well, the tessellation advantage is readily readable in almost all reviews. Not many can argue that - if the whole card can tessellate, it will tessellate well. The real question is will games use it and use it well (not just a way to kill FPS on either card).

Driver Maturity improvements is pure speculation, however it is speculation backed up by almost every card release over the years. Question is, does the 5800 have any more hidden potential at this point, and how much driver work has NVidia already done?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Everyone is putting so much emphasis on driver maturity, a simple way to test how much of a difference it actually makes is to find benches of the 5870 on release and make new ones with current drivers and compare.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I was talking about the 5850 vs 470 part, I have seen the tessellation, there is a couple of demos on the tube. and like you said what games are going to run better with it or without it.
I have been hoping to get info about what ATI plans on doing, if you check every site and nothing. What I am hoping for is for all the companys esp. asus to release there suped up version, and lower the prices so there is a couple of them between 280 and 300, and for the 5870 well if they can just drop its price to 350/370 then that would make this a new ball game. Also they might have a new driver the eyefinity 6, no one knows. But when nvidia releases them to the public will have a better understanding of prices and stock.

If you are looking at DX11 @ 1920 x 1200 and high settings.....the 470 has the lowest "dollars per frame" cost by a wide margin with the 5850, 5870, 5970, 470 and 480 in the mix

So far I am split.....

I'd take the 470 over the 5850 and the 5870 over the 480.....today....