Upgrade time for motherboard and processor

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Quad Core
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2011 2:06:21 PM

ive been thinking about upgrading to a quad core and a better motherboard for some time and i was wondering if someone could point me towards a good deal for under 200 for amd stuff that would be great. i found this earlier also.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

More about : upgrade time motherboard processor

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 3:39:17 PM

If ddr2 is what you already have, then yes, this upgrade will work. But newegg has had similar deals on newer phenom II x4 cpus with board which may overclock better. Check their daily deals and combo specials, or register for email promos. The tiger direct combo doesn't come with a heatsink or three year warranty, so it's only average.
m
l
January 4, 2011 6:00:27 PM

this is my current system. should have had this on sooner.

CPU: AMD Athlon™II X2 240 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A78LT-M LE AM3 DDR3 AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset DDR3 mATX w/ Integrated ATI Radeon 3000, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express DVI-I & TVO\

and what about this combo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 10:44:08 PM

Yes, it will work. But you have to ask yourself if your game will benefit from the extra cores. Your old board will work with some 95w phenom II's at half the price. The newer 1055t series is only available overseas right now and works with a bios update on your current board; it's also 95 watts.
m
l
January 5, 2011 12:15:17 AM

the game i play is quite processor intensive as it runs alot of scripts for collisions and navigation. so i might benefit. my other question is would it be worth it to buy it for the long haul scenario? considering that the tech changes often would it be worth it to buy it as an investment to allow me to not require an upgrade for a few years as opposed to when the next big thing comes out?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 2:28:18 AM

At that price point, I would look at Sandy bridge instead, with a cheap motherboard. I use the h55 series for my i3. Sandy bridge is worth the money; the six core amd's are ok but for the long haul I would look elsewhere. You say you're not upgrading, but replacing the board and cpu is an upgrade. IF you want to spend $271, then at least sell off your old stuff first. If you don't get any decent offers, then consider the 95w phenom II instead. And there's no such thing as an investment for computer stuff. It's changing so fast now that "future proofing" is a waste of money.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 4:21:02 PM

The cheapest Sandy Bridge cpu will be discounted by Microcenter and available starting on 1/9/11 for $149.99 (in stores only). Boards start at about the same price. I don't have a microcenter in my town, but frys may offer a similar deal.
m
l
!