Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler Master vs Corsair

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2010 5:28:13 PM

hi, am building myself a new pc and am confused which psu to buy. i have 3 options, one of which is Cooler Master Silent Pro 700, second one is Corsair 650TX and the other being Corsair 750TX. Cooler Master 700w costs 140$ locally, Corsair 750w costs 130$ and Corsair 650w costs 110$. i dont know which PSU brand to buy.

My system specs will be;

Intel i7 930
Asus P6T
OCZ 12Gb 1600Mhz (6x2GB)
OCZ SSD 60GB
W.D 1TB HDD
HD 5770 1GB
DVD-Writer
Pci Tv Tuner
4x140mm Casing fans

i wont be doing any overclocking or using 2 Gpu's in future but will be adding another 1TB Sata HDD.

:) 

More about : cooler master corsair

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 6:01:33 PM

Well all of those power supplies are way overkill for your specs a 550 watt unit would be more then enough for your system and I would say go for Corsair before Cooler Master. Out of the 3 you listed I would go with the Corsair 650TX just because its the cheapest out of the three and it will be more then enough power for your system my only qualm about it is that its not modular, but if you are not worried about all the extra cables in your case then it would be fine. I myself would go with one of the Corsair HX series since they are modular The HX-520 would be more then plenty for your system.

I ran your system thru a power supply calculator and it says your system will use a max of 450 watts so keep that in mind when choosing your unit.
June 30, 2010 6:08:38 PM

well unfortunately HX series aren't available in my country as far as i have checked. i will be using cooler master scout casing which have cable management holes meaning non-modular wont be a big problem. but r u sure 650w will be enough, i mean i want to save money but still i want to be very very sure i get the right product.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 6:14:20 PM

650W is A LOT more than you will need. 600 will still be well within safe margins.

But get the Corsair, no matter what. Corsair and Antec are known for making the best quality PSU's on the market. Cooler Master is average at best as far as PSU's are concerned.

A 500W Corsair will be more stable than a 700W Cooler Master. So get that 650TX, it's your best choice. 750TX is just a waste of money, the Cooler Master is low quality.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:16:09 PM

I think one of the Corsairs. but that's because I am a SeaSonic fan and the TX650 is manufactured by SeaSonic for corsair.

While the tx750 is manufactured by CWT and is supposed to be top notch. My brother has the TX750 and is very pleased with it, as are many others who have given it very positive reviews on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e168...

The TX650 I am not familiar with it, but SeaSonic is a solid manufacturer and it also seamed to get good reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for Cooler master I am not familiar with their PSUs. But I do know that corsair is a good solid brand.

I punched your setup in to the PSU calculator and got a recommended wattage of ~430 for your setup with the second 1 TB HDD added (its not 100% accurate but close). Don't forget that even a good PSU does not output 100% of its power rating usually good ones produce 80% and up from what I heard: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Here is a review of the TX750: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

to sum up thier review (they gave it 5 out of 5) but it looks like overkill for your setup:

Quote:
Pros:

- Unreal performance
- Price
- Long Cables
- Quiet
- 5-year warranty
- Four 8-pin PCI-E connectors

Cons:

- Not modular. (is that really a con?)

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 6:16:57 PM

Like I said 650 watts is way more then enough power for your system.

Put your specs into the calculator and see for yourself.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Power usage by part.

I7 930 - max 130 watts
HD 5770 - max 110 watts
Hard drives - max 15 watts
Ram 6 sticks about 30 watts
SSD about 10-15 watts
DVD burner 30 watts
4 fans 5 watts per fan
TV tuner 25 watts
Motherboard another 50 watts maybe

All of this brings you to around 425 watts and I am over estimating.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:21:14 PM

^+1 for SAAIELLO
Quote:
All of this brings you to around 425 watts and I am over estimating.

What country are you in? Or can you give us the website of the store you plan to purchase in so we can help you pick one out?

Maybe you can get the SeaSonic M12II series which are similar to the Corsair HX620 & HX520, after all SeaSonic manufactures them for corsair. I have the M12II 620W but they also have a 520W M12II. I must say that the M12II 620W is an excellent modular PSU.

M12II 620W : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

M12II 520W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

both are modular and bronze 80 plus certified I think their output is ~87%

m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 7:12:16 PM

If you can afford the TX 750, then surely go for it.. Although its overkill for your current build, it gives you the freedom to perform upgrades to bigger and powerful stuff later on without worrying about running out of power.. In any case, give the cooler master a miss.. They don't have high quality PSU's like their cases (the UCP series might be good though)..
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:20:39 PM

Well it looks like corsair has the edge on cooler master.

The question is are you planing on making any major upgrades in the near future or doing serious overclocking? In which case what emperus said may make sense to give you room to work with in the event of an upgrade and/or OC.

Or

Is what you have now enough? Like SAAIELLO said you will do more than fine with the TX650.

I saw the prices @ Galaxy Computers:

The TX650 is PKR 9000 = $105

The TX750 is PKR 11000 = $128.50

PKR 2000 (~$23.50) difference

Its your call.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 9:45:09 PM

Silmarunya said:

But get the Corsair, no matter what. Corsair and Antec are known for making the best quality PSU's on the market......

Not exactly. There are several as good or better. People on this board have an Antec/corsair obsession
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 9:49:30 PM

Coolermaster makes good units, but they overrate them. By that I mean it rated higher then its actual output. Labeling a quality 450 watt unit as a 600 watt unit for example.

Corsairs rating can be trusted. If it says 750 watts, it will give at least 750 watts and often more. That's is the biggest difference.
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:56:31 PM

FALC0N said:
Not exactly. There are several as good or better. People on this board have an Antec/corsair obsession

No not exactly. Both Antec and Corsair simply produce good PSUs.

He doesn't have that many options to begin with. Apparently they are enthusiastic about Corsair and Cooler Master in Pakistan. Its either Cooler Master, ASUS, Blue storm or Corsair by him.

And if what you say is true about CM PSUs why should he go through the headache of trying to figure out the actual output? He should probably go with RELIABLE and save himself the trouble.

Don't get me wrong here I love cooler master! I have a CM Elite 335 Case with CM 120MM Sickle Led Fans... but I just think that in this case Corsair offers the better PSU between the two. After all one can't be perfect in all areas.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
June 30, 2010 10:18:38 PM

Silmarunya said:
650W is A LOT more than you will need. 600 will still be well within safe margins.

But get the Corsair, no matter what. Corsair and Antec are known for making the best quality PSU's on the market. Cooler Master is average at best as far as PSU's are concerned.

A 500W Corsair will be more stable than a 700W Cooler Master. So get that 650TX, it's your best choice. 750TX is just a waste of money, the Cooler Master is low quality.

The Cooler Master Silent Pro line is defintely not of low quality and is made by Enhance who btw also OEM Antec's Quattro line.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Coolermaster_Silent_Pro_M...

mianmars your best bet is the Corsair TX 650
m
l
June 30, 2010 10:44:15 PM

Plus 1 for Davcon - Get the Corsair 650TX
It will allow you to add-on, if you choose to, in the future.
Plus you'll be able to feed all 6 sticks of your ram.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 1, 2010 1:22:17 AM

Like I sair 8 posts ago the 650TX would be the best choice out of what the OP listed. It is a little overkill but its a great quality unit that should last you quite a few years.

Good Luck
m
l
July 1, 2010 6:36:48 AM

saaiello said:
Like I sair 8 posts ago the 650TX would be the best choice out of what the OP listed. It is a little overkill but its a great quality unit that should last you quite a few years.

Good Luck

^+1
m
l
Anonymous
July 1, 2010 8:40:14 AM

I have the 750TX in the Scout case, a beefy PSU, look at specs to see what it is powering, and I have room for the next 5850!

If you are not needing the extra juice, the 650TX is the correct option, Corsair PSu are really really really good!

seriously, they are really really rated!
m
l
July 6, 2010 7:15:20 AM

Best answer selected by mianmars.
m
l
!