Sign in with
Your question

Help a newb with first build

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2010 2:06:11 AM

Hi all and thanks for any help you can give me. Basic problem first, then hardware details at the bottom.

Six months ago, I decided to try to put together my first computer out of a bunch of used parts. Bought a CPU and motherboard used but supposedly tested and working. Put them in a case according to instructions I found on the net. Turned it on and got no POST. Didn't get any beeps either. Then I had an accident which took away my time for several months. I would now like to try to get the thing working, but have forgotten what little I had learnt at the time. Since this was six months ago, I will no longer be able to bitch at the sellers if CPU or mobo are non-functional. Such is life. I will get new ones.

About me. I have never built a PC before but have always been perfecty happy replacing parts in them and even in laptops. I have owned computers continuously since my first Winbook 386 laptop twenty years ago. I am fairly careful and tend to do things slowly and methodically including following instruction. I do have a multimeter to test parts.

When I turn it on, the fans spin and lights come on but I get no image on the screen on the (known good) monitor. (I have tried connecting the monitor via both VGA and DVI.)

I do not hear any beeps.

The mobo is an AS Rock AOD790GX. The CPU is an AMD triple core (IIRC) whose name I can no longer remember. I think it was an AM2 Phenom. (It was one of a kind that supposedly might have a fourth core that was unlockable.) I bought that first and made sure that the mobo was compatible. The case came with a 420 watt power supply and couple optical drives. The HD was mine and worked previously.

Where do I go first in narrowing down what is wrong? Do I need to take it all apart or can I test it without removing the motherboard?

Dan

More about : newb build

a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2010 2:11:38 AM

slamtry said:
Hi all and thanks for any help you can give me. Basic problem first, then hardware details at the bottom.

Six months ago, I decided to try to put together my first computer out of a bunch of used parts. Bought a CPU and motherboard used but supposedly tested and working. Put them in a case according to instructions I found on the net. Turned it on and got no POST. Didn't get any beeps either. Then I had an accident which took away my time for several months. I would now like to try to get the thing working, but have forgotten what little I had learnt at the time. Since this was six months ago, I will no longer be able to bitch at the sellers if CPU or mobo are non-functional. Such is life. I will get new ones.

About me. I have never built a PC before but have always been perfecty happy replacing parts in them and even in laptops. I have owned computers continuously since my first Winbook 386 laptop twenty years ago. I am fairly careful and tend to do things slowly and methodically including following instruction. I do have a multimeter to test parts.

When I turn it on, the fans spin and lights come on but I get no image on the screen on the (known good) monitor. (I have tried connecting the monitor via both VGA and DVI.)

I do not hear any beeps.

The mobo is an AS Rock AOD790GX. The CPU is an AMD triple core whose name I can no longer remember. (It was one of a kind that supposedly might have a fourth core that was unlockable.) I bought that first and made sure that the mobo was compatible. The case came with a 420 watt power supply and couple optical drives. The HD was mine and worked previously.

Where do I go first in narrowing down what is wrong? Do I need to take it all apart or can I test it without removing the motherboard?

Dan

Run the checklist in this post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

If you have specific questions from that thread or the thread doesnt fix your problem come back here and we'll see what we can do.

Also after reviewing that thread and it still doesnt work make sure you post more detailed specs of your computer. We need the no kidding components, not generalizations.

Good luck!
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:01:24 AM

I ran through the checklist.

1, 2, 3 all done. Seem fine. Ignored 4 and 5 since system only has onboard video. 6 - 11 checked. 12, fan is plugged in and runs when I switch on the power. 13, Using a large Cooler Master CPU cooling fan which was new and came with thermal compound applied. 14 and 15 checked. 16 A speaker is installed. Its plug connection to the mobo is not keyed so I tried installing it in both directions. Still no beeps. 17. I think these are correctly installed. 18 There is no switch on the Power supply. 20 reset the CMOS by shorting for 10 seconds per manual. All that happened after this is that the machine powers on when I switch the plug on the back from 0 - 1, i.e. I do not need to use the power button on the front. BTW when it powers on the power light turns and stays green.

AM2 Phenom CPU. The mobo is an AS Rock AOD790GX. Cooler Master cooler. Turbolink CWT420ATX power supply.

Now what? I wont take it to a shop since a) they will just charge me more than its worth and b) in my experience they just throw parts at the problem just like any car dealership.

I have a nasty suspicion I got sold a dud CPU, but want to try everything. Its early days yet!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2010 4:20:09 AM

slamtry said:
I ran through the checklist.

1, 2, 3 all done. Seem fine. Ignored 4 and 5 since system only has onboard video. 6 - 11 checked. 12, fan is plugged in and runs when I switch on the power. 13, Using a large Cooler Master CPU cooling fan which was new and came with thermal compound applied. 14 and 15 checked. 16 A speaker is installed. Its plug connection to the mobo is not keyed so I tried installing it in both directions. Still no beeps. 17. I think these are correctly installed. 18 There is no switch on the Power supply. 20 reset the CMOS by shorting for 10 seconds per manual. All that happened after this is that the machine powers on when I switch the plug on the back from 0 - 1, i.e. I do not need to use the power button on the front. BTW when it powers on the power light turns and stays green.

AM2 Phenom CPU. The mobo is an AS Rock AOD790GX. Cooler Master cooler. Turbolink CWT420ATX power supply.

Now what? I wont take it to a shop since a) they will just charge me more than its worth and b) in my experience they just throw parts at the problem just like any car dealership.

I have a nasty suspicion I got sold a dud CPU, but want to try everything. Its early days yet!

Well just looking right now your motherboard manufacturer isn't the most "lauded" I have personally never used them. As for your PSU, never heard of them in my life.

What is the exact CPU. So far Ive seen AM2 Phenom CPU " an AMD triple core (IIRC) whose name I can no longer remember."

Is it maybe a Phenom IIx3 720?

I know you mentioned throwing parts at it, but in actuallity thats what needs to be done to a degree.

Do you have any spare parts you can swap around?

Did you remove components 1 by 1 and turn it on to verify beep codes? This was mentioned in the guide.

I'm on my way home from work, so I will check back in 30-45mins.

m
l
April 23, 2010 4:44:29 AM

So the next thing looks like I should take it all apart again and then, on an insulated surface, plug just the CPU and its cooler into the mobo, plug that into the power supply and turn it on. Correct? Anything to add?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2010 5:17:31 AM

slamtry said:
So the next thing looks like I should take it all apart again and then, on an insulated surface, plug just the CPU and its cooler into the mobo, plug that into the power supply and turn it on. Correct? Anything to add?

Breadboarding would definately help narrow down a defective component. Ive seen pics and read all about it, never done it personally.

I understand the concept and don't think it would be too difficult. But I think breadboarding is done when you have a problem such as yours. Ive never personally experienced a problem like yours that I didnt fix soon enough to need breadboarding.
m
l
!