Vertex 3 Vs Vertex 4 Vs Samsung 830

Last response: in Storage
June 1, 2012 10:40:37 AM

Which SSD to buy :

1. OCZ Vertex 3 128 GB

2. OCZ Vertex 3 128GB MAX IOPS edition

3. OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

4. Samsung 830 128GB.

i will obviously update to the latest firmwares before installing the SSD.

The Samsung is the cheapest. Vertex 3 MAX IOPS is the most expensive. But the price difference is less than what you think....

Price makes < 5% difference to buying choice, though. I want the best performance for my usage type.

Typical usage : web surfing, little gaming, torrents, MS-Office, monthly windows updates :D  , multiple web browser installation-uninstallation

as i understand, Vertex 3 have become stable now ? I think most of my work is probably read based with queue depths of maximum 2 (AFAIK typical desktop usage) but i am no expert.

which SSD would be best for me ?

Edit : how do petrol drives compare ? a 128gb petrol is 66% the price of a vertex3

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 1, 2012 10:43:45 AM

Samsung 830 imo, they are very highly spoken of on basically every forum post like yours asking for advice on a drive to decide on. You will not notice any real difference between any of those drives based on the usage you specified, which again points to the Samsung if it's the least expensive.

I've got that same drive in this machine, had zero issues, and it made an i7 920 feel like a brand new machine. That's after a million headaches dealing with corsair drives over the span of a year.
a b G Storage
June 1, 2012 10:53:33 AM

I would also recommend the Samsung 830. I got the 256gb version and it has been nothing short of amazing. No hiccups and no driver related problems as far as I'm aware.

You could try to go with the Vertex 3 as it has become more "mature", but then again the Samsung 830 series has been rock solid from the beginning (I think?). The vertex 4 is unproven at this point in terms of reliability.

Since price isn't an issue for you, go with the more premium model (830). You won't be disappointed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 114 G Storage
June 1, 2012 11:10:29 AM

The Mushkin Chronos Deluxe simply has it over all the others except the Max IOPS. From a reliability / extended life standpoint. There are very few companies offering SSDs with premium 3Xnm Toshiba Toggle Mode Flash. These include the the Patriot Wildfire, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (latest revision), Mushkin Chronos Deluxe and OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS. In addition, Mushkin's pricing is way better than anyone else's w/ the Toshiba toggle flash ....less than $1 per GB.

Performance wise, nothing else keeps up with this flash as you can see on the THG monthly "Best SSD's for the money" roundup but it's much better conveyed here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4328/mushkin_chronos_d...

I wholeheartedly agree with Tweaktown's assessment when it says:

Quote:
To sum it all up with a bow on top, you get amazing performance, extremely long service life and a hassle free low price point on a drive that literally has very little competition in the marketplace.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More from above tweaktown link on flash types .... I added the numbers in front of the memory types for clarity :

Quote:
Other than a few really oddball entries, SF-2281 'consumer' SSDs come in three flash flavors.

[1.] Starting on the low end, you have IMFT 25nm asynchronous flash, a budget flash used in the Agility 3, Force 3, Chronos (non-Deluxe model) and a few other drives that in our testing perform at around the same level as last year's SF-1200 controlled drives when filled to 50 percent capacity. A majority of drives use IMFT 25nm synchronous flash; Vertex 3, Force GT, S511 and so on.

[2.] Synchronous flash, also called ONFi 2.x is really the first step for enthusiasts, especially now that prices have really dropped.

[3.a] The final flash type used is 3Xnm Toggle Mode flash from Toshiba, a form of ONFi 2.x without the JEDEC classification. 25nm IMFT is rated for around 5K P/E cycles and.....

[3.b] 3Xnm Toshiba Toggle Mode flash is rated for around twice as many. Even though we are talking about writing a lot of data for a very long time, the 3Xnm flash will still last even longer.
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:19:39 AM

where i live, only the ones i listed above are available.
I am not in USA or any other country where newegg ships.. :( 

was seeing this : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/269 . Samsung appears to be quite a performer.

what about vertex4 1.4RC firmware?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 283 G Storage
June 1, 2012 3:20:10 PM

Samsung is one of the brands I usually recommend.

I do not recommend the Vertex 4. The OCZ Vertex 4 ssd is brand new. It was released just two months ago. There were problems with the ssd. At the start of last month OCZ issued a firmware update. Unfortunately it is not the final firmware. It is just a "release candidate". Since then OCZ has released several small patches. There are more problems that need to be fixed. Once they are fixed OCZ will release the final firmware update. This is definitely a "wait and see what happens" situation.

There have been several technical reviews of the Vertex 4 that included the firmware released at the beginning of last month. The results indicate the synthetic benchmarks are very impressive but in actual real world use the ssd is just average.I am wondering if the controller and firmware were tweaked for synthetic benchmarks instead of real world performance.
m
l
a c 114 G Storage
June 1, 2012 4:24:47 PM

mayankleoboy1 said:
where i live, only the ones i listed above are available.
I am not in USA or any other country where newegg ships.. :( 

was seeing this : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/269 . Samsung appears to be quite a performer.

what about vertex4 1.4RC firmware?

The Samsung 830 would be my choice if I couldn't get any of the models with premium 3Xnm Toshiba Toggle Mode Flash:

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
Patriot Wildfire
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (latest revision)
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS,

m
l
June 11, 2012 5:33:10 PM

Which one would be better for a quickbooks server for a small business in raid 1?
m
l
a b G Storage
June 12, 2012 3:16:02 AM

Looking at your usage, you'd barely do anything with the drive. Also, all the drives you listed are the fastest in performance, but you won't see much of a difference between them. I'd get a Samsung.
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:45:47 AM

Deciding to buy a Samsung 840 Pro. Thanks guys for all the replies. :) 
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:46:46 AM

Best answer selected by mayankleoboy1.
m
l
!