Sign in with
Your question

How to upgrade Bios on Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2011 2:24:11 PM

Hi

I recently purchased the ALiveXFire-eSATA2 R3.0 motherboard from Asrock and i bought it as i have 12 GB's of ddr2 ram and didn't ahve the moeny for ddr3. But it says i need to upgrade the bios to the newer version for it to be compatible with my AM3 socket processor.

How is this done.

here is a link to the website that says it :

Thanks
Billy
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 2:38:34 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

In ASRock use the 'DOS' version - http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=DOS6

Q - What's prompting you to update your BIOS?
Q - What BIOS version and AMD do you have now?
Q - What AMD are you upgrading to now?

You'll need to use your 'old' CPU to do the flash prior to installing the NEW CPU.
January 4, 2011 3:35:17 PM

Quote:
What's prompting you to update your BIOS?

Erm the website says to support a am3 socket cpu i n need to upgrade my bios.

This is a quote from the website

Quote:
This MB supports AM3 CPU by upgrading the BIOS version to P2.70 or later versions.

Quote:
Q - What BIOS version and AMD do you have now?
Q - What AMD are you upgrading to now?

Erm i am not upgrading my cpu i am just changing my motherboard but i have a budget of £70 and this fits it nicely and with the bios i assume it has the earlier bios on

thanks
Billy

Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 4:26:31 PM

The first Q was supposed to be removed; I always ask. BIOS flashing is risky so I try to 'see' if there's a reason.
Q - What's prompting you to update your BIOS?
V
You'll need to use your 'old' CPU to do the flash prior to installing the NEW CPU.

Still need the following:
Q - What BIOS version and AMD "CPU" do you have now?
Q - What AMD "CPU" are you upgrading to now?

The reason is if the BIOS cannot 'dummy down' the CPU because the CPUID info is 'missing' then you MIGHT need a CPU that is recognized by the MOBO so you can access the BIOS.
January 4, 2011 4:43:37 PM

I am using a different motherboard at the moment, and my cpu is the phenom II X4
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 5:07:56 PM

You know how many X4's there are??!! http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=ALiveXFire-eSATA...

My best GUESS is that if the MOBO comes with BIOS 2.90 or later you 'should' be able to access the BIOS to update to the latest BIOS version.

I assume you understand what I'm saying by the following -> "if the BIOS cannot 'dummy down' the CPU because the CPUID info is 'missing' then you MIGHT need a CPU that is recognized by the MOBO so you can access the BIOS."

IF you cannot Post then you'll need to borrow an older but supported CPU before you can flash. The alternative is to Mail-In your MOBO to ASRock and have them update the BIOS.
January 4, 2011 5:15:59 PM

Ok great thanks for the info, i will post the result
!