Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming Build under $850

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2010 3:02:36 AM

BUDGET RANGE: $850

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the internet, using basic programs such as I tunes and Microsoft office, watching movies.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

Parts not included: Monitor and OS.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want a decent gaming computer than can handle WOW at high quality and MW2 and Battlefield at mid to high quality.

Here are some parts I have thrown together and would like help on please!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

GPU/PSU Combo: GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 and Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

Case/ Optical Combo: Sony Optiarc Black and COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also what someone had told me before was that i could downgrade the cpu to the x3 425 and upgrade the motherboard to the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4. Would that be better or should i stick with the original build? Also i will probably be using a 1920x1080 monitor unless suggested otherwise!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Cody
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 3:11:15 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
BUDGET RANGE: $850

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the internet, using basic programs such as I tunes and Microsoft office, watching movies.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

Parts not included: Monitor and OS.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want a decent gaming computer than can handle WOW at high quality and MW2 and Battlefield at mid to high quality.

Here are some parts I have thrown together and would like help on please!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

GPU/PSU Combo: GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 and Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also what someone had told me before was that i could downgrade the cpu to the x3 425 and upgrade the motherboard to the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4. Would that be better or should i stick with the original build? Also i will probably be using a 1920x1080 monitor unless suggested otherwise!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Cody

the UD3 only has 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 so you wouldnt be able to Xfire later on. If thats an issue then yeah you need a new motherboard.

Just realize some people like to have the option to Xfire but very rarely does anyone actually do it.
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:19:29 AM

well i wasnt really thinking on xfire because i had picked the 5850 with the high price thinking that was the best thing to do... my other idea was to get a different motherboard and get a 5770 and later on when i can afford it maybe double up on the 5770 in crossfire. would that be more powerful than the 5850? other than that i wasnt planning on crossfire
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 3:21:12 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
well i wasnt really thinking on xfire because i had picked the 5850 with the high price thinking that was the best thing to do... my other idea was to get a different motherboard and get a 5770 and later on when i can afford it maybe double up on the 5770 in crossfire. would that be more powerful than the 5850? other than that i wasnt planning on crossfire

Stick to the 1 5850. Some games work better with Xfire so it's kinda hit or miss. Good rule of thumb is to buy 1 powerful GPU rather than double up lesser ones.

So if you have no aspirations to Xfire, your build looks fine to me.
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:23:46 AM

ok and would you recomment sticking with this quad core or could i downgrade my cpu to the x3 cause i wont be multitasking hardly at all. It will be mostly gaming. Because if i do downgrade i will have an extra $100 dollars to beef up the system in other areas? just wondering
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 3:30:39 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
ok and would you recomment sticking with this quad core or could i downgrade my cpu to the x3 cause i wont be multitasking hardly at all. It will be mostly gaming. Because if i do downgrade i will have an extra $100 dollars to beef up the system in other areas? just wondering

Uh you can, there are alot of benchmarks that show the Athlon IIx3 435 performs barely less than Phenom IIx4s.

But on some games, like GTA4 or Bad Company 2, they really utilize not only the 4th core but also the 6MB L3 cache that only Phenom IIx4s have

Tell ya what, post your 2 build ideas one with the Phenom one with the Athlon. Because saying 100 dollars in upgrades is so vague I cant say if its going to be a substantial increase.

I know it's kind of a lot of work to make 2 builds, but when you do that, you kinda dig and research and end up more familiar with what you're actually getting. I think that's what really sets apart builders from buyers. The knowledge gained from building your PC component by component!

-Chris
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:35:26 AM

ok well most of the parts were the same but i will try and post that build really quick lemme just find the parts and i will post it! Oh and on the reviews for the x3 people were saying that they could unlock the 4th core and l3 cache that were disabled. but they were saying it was luck? you have any ideas on that? ill have the build posted shortly!
Thanks so much!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 3:37:43 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
ok well most of the parts were the same but i will try and post that build really quick lemme just find the parts and i will post it! Oh and on the reviews for the x3 people were saying that they could unlock the 4th core and l3 cache that were disabled. but they were saying it was luck? you have any ideas on that? ill have the build posted shortly!
Thanks so much!

Once again it's hit or miss. Don't buy a CPU with the expectation of getting a quad core. Sometimes the reason the 4th core is inactive is because of a funky L3 cache.

Also not all Athlons will even have an L3 cache available if I remember right.
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:39:50 AM

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I switched the mobo to a little bit.. it added a little money but downgrading the cpu still makes it cheaper than the first build. Also this mobo seems to have better upgrading options in the future?
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:42:22 AM

ok well i am new to computer games and computers in general so im not entirely sure what the l3 cache is and how important it is. i will probably mostly be playing wow with the occasional mw2 or Bad Company 2 but i would like to play the newer games at mid-high quality if possible at this budget
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 3:52:36 AM

Seems the major difference between the Motherboards is an extra PCIE 2.0 x16 slot?

Basically asks the question: Are you going to Xfire?

Both options provide minor future proofing. Quad core with L3 Cache vs. 2nd GPU later on.

Also, with 2 5850's Im not sure if the x3 would end up being a bottleneck.

Both provide future proofing to a degree, but the UD4 motherboard only provides future proofing if you actually Xfire later on.

Me personally I'd stick with the Phenom IIx4, but I do have bias for it.

What I can say tho, EITHER build, you'll be happy. So it's really win/win
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:57:52 AM

alright i think i am agreeing with you the more i look at it. I think i will go with the original build with the Phenom IIx4. and this will be able to handle wow at max settings and newer games like bad company 2 and mid settings with decent fps? and one more question. I just want to make sure that there is nowhere where i can shave a little money off without decreasing the performance drastically?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:02:15 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
alright i think i am agreeing with you the more i look at it. I think i will go with the original build with the Phenom IIx4. and this will be able to handle wow at max settings and newer games like bad company 2 and mid settings with decent fps? and one more question. I just want to make sure that there is nowhere where i can shave a little money off without decreasing the performance drastically?

I can swear on my own life that your build will run WoW totally maxed out at 60 FPS everywhere except MAYBE Dalaran during like Bring your Pet to Dalaran day in which case you're probably looking at 30-40 FPS.

This means you can no longer blame your crappy build/interweb connection on why you didnt get out of the fire :) 

The other games will perform quite well at mid-high settings. Enjoy.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:04:22 AM

Also you can trim down alot of different things, but I personally would not. IMO any decrease wouldn't be worth the savings.

One thing I need to check on tho, is if the 5850 fits comfortably in a 690 case. Sorry I overlooked this before.
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:05:21 AM

oh ok.. yeah i totally forgot to ask that i know that the 5850 was a bigger gpu but i totall overlooked that as well! thank you! let me know!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:12:09 AM

cmcghee358 said:
This means you can no longer blame your crappy build/interweb connection on why you didnt get out of the fire :) 

Fire is a crit buff, though. ;) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:13:47 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
oh ok.. yeah i totally forgot to ask that i know that the 5850 was a bigger gpu but i totall overlooked that as well! thank you! let me know!

I cant find any reviews that complain of cards not fitting, but I still recommend stepping up to the HAF 922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a beast of a case and not expensive. This bumps up your cost I think 20 dollars. Hope you can afford it without sacrificing anything. :) 
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:18:12 AM

i think i could probably squeeze that into my budget. i will see thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple nooby questions now cause i am completely new to this and it is my first build. do you know where i can find a step by step guide for building this thing. Hopefully it isnt to difficult haha. oh and would you recommend any overclock on this pc or keep it at stock? later on i might be able to afford aftermarket coolers and heatsinks
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:25:53 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
i think i could probably squeeze that into my budget. i will see thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple nooby questions now cause i am completely new to this and it is my first build. do you know where i can find a step by step guide for building this thing. Hopefully it isnt to difficult haha. oh and would you recommend any overclock on this pc or keep it at stock? later on i might be able to afford aftermarket coolers and heatsinks

Im too lazy to link it because the Explorer at work is slow and annoying, but at the top of this section there is a sticky for "How to build a computer" or something to that effect, with PICTURES! It's pretty exhaustive, will help a ton.

As for OCing the 955? Well I own the same processor and I OC'd it with the STOCK HSF, 1st thing you should do is set the vCore to 1.35 and set the multiplier to x17

Boom you just got the equivalent of the 965 on stock cooling.

I didn't go beyond a 17.5 on stock cooling because I live in Arizona and the ambient temp doesnt help much :/ 

Also, it's the C3 stepping of the 955 which is the newer step, when I installed mine it underclocked it to 800 MHz and my computer was really slow. If yours does this (which it probably wont, you have a much newer Mobo than me) just flash the motherboard and it will clock it correctly. (Once again, I doubt this will happen to you, Im just trying to give you the info in case it does happen, I freaked when my new CPU was 800 MHz)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 4:26:54 AM

One other thing. I personally wouldnt pull the trigger on this build until someone else chimes in. Thats the beauty of forums, you have a large population of experience people.

Let this sit a day or 2 and see if anyone else gives you some advice. :) 
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:32:57 AM

Haha I am probably going to sound like a retard, but I honestly have no experience in computers... Anyways, where can you change all the stuff like the vCore and the multiplier? Ive never done anything like that? and what do you mean by underclocking? is that like the opposite over overclock? And another quick question i installed CPU-Z on this old single core crappy computer, and it says the multiplier is x21 and the core speed is 2800MHz. Im really confused on what all that means? im sorry im a noob! haha

Thank you soo much! :) 
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:35:53 AM

ok i will let it be for a little while! thank you so much though! you've helped a lot!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2010 5:22:30 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
Haha I am probably going to sound like a retard, but I honestly have no experience in computers... Anyways, where can you change all the stuff like the vCore and the multiplier? Ive never done anything like that? and what do you mean by underclocking? is that like the opposite over overclock? And another quick question i installed CPU-Z on this old single core crappy computer, and it says the multiplier is x21 and the core speed is 2800MHz. Im really confused on what all that means? im sorry im a noob! haha

Thank you soo much! :) 

Its pretty simple actually. But I would recommend reading endless AMD Black Edition OCing guides before touching anything.

For example, the 955 has a base frequency of 200 MHz then it has whats called an "unlocked" multiplier. Meaning unlike alot of other CPUs you can adjust the multiplier to increase the CPU speed.

The 955 has a 16x multiplier (16x200MHz=3200 MHz or 3.2 GHz)

Mine had an issue where the BIOS was setting the multiplier at 4x meaning I was getting (4x200=800 MHz)

If CPU-Z says you have a 21x multiplier and is @ 2.8GHz its simple math it has a base frequency of 133 MHz
voltage it needs to do it. The flip side is, the more juice you give it the hotter it gets.

When you Overclock you are increasing its speed, and SOMETIMES also increasing its voltage to make the new higher speed stable.

Overclocking with increased voltage can lower the life expectancy of the CPU, by an unknown amount.
m
l
April 24, 2010 1:15:11 AM

oh ok so you take the base frequency times the multiplier and you get your speed? alright that makes much better sense now! and is like 1.35v good? isnt that about average? Also, is it possible to overclock other parts of the computer or just the cpu? And if so is it recommended? Oh and i thought of something today which i forgot to ask.. do i need to get a special cord like hdmi or something to hook from the monitor to the case to get full hd or does it come with the necessary cord to do that?

Thank you!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 2:00:55 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
oh ok so you take the base frequency times the multiplier and you get your speed? alright that makes much better sense now! and is like 1.35v good? isnt that about average? Also, is it possible to overclock other parts of the computer or just the cpu? And if so is it recommended? Oh and i thought of something today which i forgot to ask.. do i need to get a special cord like hdmi or something to hook from the monitor to the case to get full hd or does it come with the necessary cord to do that?

Thank you!

DVI is high def and generally comes with the monitor.

1.35vCore is pretty standard, but double check the voltage. When I installed my 955 CPU it was @ 1.45 vCore.

And yes, thats why buying a Black Edition CPU is such a nice feature. Other CPU's dont have an unlocked multiplier so it's more difficult to overclock. Where-as a black edition CPU like yours you simply increase the multiplier and enjoy the benefits of increased speed. :) 

Which is another feature of Black Edition CPUs have over Athlons IMO, ease of OC.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:13:06 AM

ok so now i will wait and see if anyone else posts in this thread but im getting excited to buy it i wont be buying all the parts at the same time because i will be buying it with my next pay check and the one after that.. what parts should i order first? so i can maybe do something while im waiting the week or two after i order the initial parts.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 2:18:58 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
ok so now i will wait and see if anyone else posts in this thread but im getting excited to buy it i wont be buying all the parts at the same time because i will be buying it with my next pay check and the one after that.. what parts should i order first? so i can maybe do something while im waiting the week or two after i order the initial parts.

I know you're really excited, but you're best off just waiting and assembling it all at the same time. Meaning, it doesnt matter what you order 1st.

Its just the best idea to wait until you have all the parts to assemble it. Especially for a 1st time build.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:22:36 AM

Ok Ok.. Haha I suppose i can wait! LOL but i really appreciate the help! If i come up with any other questions i will ask! thanks again!
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:26:28 AM

I like the Phenom II x4 build. I essentially have the same setup and it runs Bad Company 2 with no problem. Jumping from a dual core to the quad I was able to increase my settings substantially without getting a new video card either (Still running an 8800gtx).

If you're still looking for a case, you can also give this one a try:
It did get a little tight with my 8800, although it's longer than the 5850 by over an in ch

cmcghee358, when you oc'd with the stock cooler is there a noticeable difference in noise output? I've been thinking of oc'ing mine but I like my system remaining quiet. If it was too loud I figured I'd go with a different cooler then.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 2:29:33 AM

Wired2k said:
I like the Phenom II x4 build. I essentially have the same setup and it runs Bad Company 2 with no problem. Jumping from a dual core to the quad I was able to increase my settings substantially without getting a new video card either (Still running an 8800gtx).

If you're still looking for a case, you can also give this one a try:
It did get a little tight with my 8800, although it's longer than the 5850 by over an in ch

cmcghee358, when you oc'd with the stock cooler is there a noticeable difference in noise output? I've been thinking of oc'ing mine but I like my system remaining quiet. If it was too loud I figured I'd go with a different cooler then.

I have the Antec 1200 Case, with... 1x200m fan, 8x120mm fan. So to be honest, I never noticed a difference but I have ALOT of air moving through.

Also if you dont increase your vCore much, your fan won't get quicker because there is a minimal heat increase.

Raising the vCore is what generates the heat, and thereby increases the fan speed. I believe.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:32:24 AM

ok perfect! thats just what i need with this build! so would my 5850 fit into my original case or do you also recommend getting a bigger case?
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:34:43 AM

should i buy aftermarket coolers for this build or will i be fine because i dont plan on overclocking it very high at all.. at least not for some time
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:45:54 AM

If you don't plan on overclocking very much or at all then the stock coolers are fine. As was mentioned, there isn't really anything saying that there was a hard time fitting but one thing you'll realize with your first build is that the more room you have the better. It makes installation and cable management soooooo much easier and also helps with airflow.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 2:57:29 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
ok perfect! thats just what i need with this build! so would my 5850 fit into my original case or do you also recommend getting a bigger case?

Keep stock cooling for now.

The HAF 922 Cooler Master case we talked about was picked specifically because it has ample room for a 5850.

I think all your bases are covered.

No one has really come in here and said anything was drastically wrong, pull the trigger on the order whenever you are ready sir.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:57:54 AM

ok ill just stick with the stock coolers for the time being. And also, that is a good point! I think i will go with the case you suggested or the other case that was suggested! and also i was wondering does the cpu come with thermal paste strip applied or do i have to buy that separately?
m
l
April 24, 2010 3:01:50 AM

alright! sounds good i will go with the HAF 922 Cooler Master Case and just not get the combo i had initially! And i would like to buy it all but i have to wait for my next pay check! oh this is gonna be a rough week!! haha
m
l
April 24, 2010 3:16:12 AM

buckbuck_2 said:

The build won't be tough, this is your first build and you put together a soclid build with compatible parts on your first shot. You seem like a sharp guy, you're gonna be fine. There are 2 annoying parts during the build in my opinion...

1.) the CPU install/ HSF install
2.) Connecting all the little wires from your case to the mobo.

1.) Be careful, don't force anything, double check things. The stock cooler on the 955 is kind of annoying to get down. Putting the HSF on takes more pressure than you think it should, but it'll be fine.

2.) Typically white and black wires are the negative sides, and colored wires are positive. Read your mobo manual and your case manual if you need to.

The rest of the build is like lego's for adults.

Cable management as you go along.

Make sure you don't forget to fix your I/O shield before putting the mobo in, and always stay grounded!!! Invest in a static wrist strap for $5.

Stick with the x4 CPU. Enjoy the build and the building process!
m
l
April 24, 2010 3:18:48 AM

Only thing I would change is the HDD. When it comes to my data I want the most reliable brand, Western Digital.

I will sacrifice barely noticeable speed differences for the knowledge that my data is safe and my system safe.

EDIT:
Also make sure you are utilizing newegg's ample combo discounts. i saved about $100 by matching parts up with their combos.

like this one for your mobo and CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 3:27:56 AM

Samsung has superb reliability. Hence why the reference. If WD used 500 GB platters I would recommend them more often.
m
l
April 24, 2010 3:45:30 AM

ok thank you for the posts! i have been looking at some videos on installing the parts together and it looks a little confusing at some parts but im sure i can figure it out!

So what would be a better hard drive the samsung or WD? and also with raising the price as little as possible

and how do i find combos? im not really sure how to find them specifically
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 10:26:40 AM

buckbuck_2 said:
ok thank you for the posts! i have been looking at some videos on installing the parts together and it looks a little confusing at some parts but im sure i can figure it out!

So what would be a better hard drive the samsung or WD? and also with raising the price as little as possible

and how do i find combos? im not really sure how to find them specifically

Samsung is faster has good reliability.

Western Digital is slightly slower has great reliability.

Frankly, compare GB/$ and find whichever one is the better deal for you.

As for combos, usually when you put an item in the cart it suggests combos. Or you can search combos specific for each part but there search system is kinda meh.
m
l
April 24, 2010 1:37:19 PM

OK sounds good! I will take a look around for different hard drives and see if I cant get a a better deal.

Ok so when you add them to your cart it just suggests combos? That will work!

Oh and I had another question! I forgot about my monitor! Should i go for a full 1920x1080? Or go for the slightly less 1680x1050? And depending on which one you pick, what would be a good affordable monitor?
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:04:22 PM

In your original post you said you didn't need a monitor. Do you mean that a monitor isn't included in your $850? Becuase if you need a monitor with that budget its going to change your build alot.

If its in addition to that budget, get a 1920x1080 because they are basically the same price as the 1680's at this point.

And THIS is your monitor...

I own it and its wonderful.
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:09:14 PM

I prefer the samsung spinpoint F3s simply because I own one but get what you like.

Also don't do the X3 thing with intention of unlocking. The 955 is a very nice proc and it'll treat you well for years. But I recommend you get one of these with as many case fans you can.

My rig is at 19.00x 3.8ghz and it its anywhere from 28 (sometimes 27)c to 33c and load at 40-41c.
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:10:34 PM

Oh and with regards to actually putting it together when in doubt just ask. Personally if I didn't know how to do something I would ask a friend to help out. I've done it a few times for friends before and now they can build their own systems without any problems. :thumbup:
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:31:52 PM

Yeah in my original post i meant that the monitor wasnt included in the 850$ I plan on buying a monitor on top of that! sorry for the confusion!

And i still havent decided on a hard drive but i am still looking! Ok yeah, i already decided against the x3 and am going with the X4 and plan on overclocking to around 3.5ghz i think? that will be fine with stock coolers right?

And i also plan on getting aftermarket coolers, but that will be after i get everything set up and get into a little bit more!

Thank you!
m
l
!