5770 win 7 64bit display corruption

jetpack

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I just built my system and am having an intermittent problem with display corruption. POST screen is always fine, but when windows starts sometimes the welcome screen is only partially painted. Or the password text-box is filled with video turds or some other part of the screen is messed up. Sometimes the whole screen exhibits a checkerboard pattern.

I've upgraded to the latest ATI drivers (Catalyst 10.3) but still have the problem intermittently. It might be worse at cold-boot but I'm not sure. Note I also have a general cold-boot problem with my mobo I'm trying to resolve with the manufacturer. My set up:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r
video: sapphire 5770
ram: 12Gb corsair dominator
display: dell 3007

Note - I can clear up the display temporarily with cntl-alt-delete which takes you to the lock/switch user/task manager etc selection screen. My theory is that this screen doesn't use the fancy win 7 ui bits so clears things up.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot appreciated. I do have a ticket in with Sapphire but have not heard back this weekend.

draconias

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
when i saw "checker board pattern" i stopped reading the post sortoff ...

memory modules on gfx card could be fried or corrupt.
waayyyy back in the day i had a 8600gt that had this problem. i got the shock of my life , restarted and it was fine again but never again the same.

you didnt get response back because they dont work on weekends ;P im assuming.
they might have to replace the card .

are you using 10.3 final or 10.3Beta ? also try driver sweeper and reinstall the drivers clean.

regards
DRac