die_tryin

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,
I have an HP that I am trying to fix. One night my pc shut off and when powered on the HP screen would load but would sit there. I spoke to a technician who said that likely the mobo was bad. I drove to the local computer store(over an hour away) and bought a MSI board that fit my processor and installed it when I got home. When I plugged it in there was no sign of power. The light on the PSU lit up but no sounds or fans turned on. I heard sometimes mobos are DOA so I returned the item and got a new one with the same problem. I switched out the RAM cards, put a PSU from a working pc in and even switched out the fans. Is this a processor problem? The store I buy from has a 25% restock fee so I don't want to spend another $160 to replace a possibly good part. Geek Squad (who is much closer) won't touch it for diagnosis unless I can get it to power on.

To save some time:
I am fairly familiar with pc's including hardware so I know the mobo is installed correctly. Both the 24pin and 4 pin psu cords are connected.
I know the processor and graphics card are compatible.
I use an active grounding bracelet on both wrists and work on a rubber topped table.
Both of the PSU's are rated at or above the recommended wattage and the red clip on the back is set correctly.

die_tryin

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Would the cpu cause it to not indicate power like that? From the people I've talked to they said I should still get some indication of power even if it won't boot up.

popatim

Titan
Have you checked that the power on switch isn't stuck on? It shoud read as open with a DVM while not being pressed and shorted while being pressed.

Check the reset button also, I've seen reset buttons get stuck in and the system just sits there like you're seeing.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Yes most mobo's have idiot lights of one kind or another for whatever reason, and if none of your mobo's lights are on well then maybe it's time to check the psu, and if I may,, try breadboarding it, lot easier to get around it when not in case, those little pins down in the right hand corner should be power,hdd,reset,etc,you can usually short them [turn on/off] with a small screwdriver or nail file..:)

die_tryin

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah this is barebones model it seems. No indication lights built in. The board I put in my buddies pc had about 15 lights almost blind me whn i plugged his psu in. I'll take a look at it ouside of the case. The store I bought it from wants to charge me $65 bucks just to look at it with no guarantees of it being fixed. :heink: