6 GB Mem installed, 2 GB usable

I've got a relatively new build (my first from scratch), and while Win 7 Professional (64-bit) finds 6GB Installed RAM, it says only 2GB are usable.

What do I do?!?

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 930 2.80G
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
MEM 2Gx3|CRUC CT3KIT25664BA1339
8 answers Last reply
More about installed usable
  1. And, the memory checkbox is empty in msconfig.exe...
  2. Open the task manager, click on the performance tab, then click on the resource monitor, then click on the memory tab. How much memory is hardware reserved can you post a screen shot?
  3. I have a screenshot, but I don't know how to get it into this message :-(

It says Hardware Reserved: 4098MB

Does this help?

N
  4. I have a screenshot, but I don't know how to get it into this message :-(

It says Hardware Reserved: 4098MB

Does this help?

N

Snipergod87 said:
    Open the task manager, click on the performance tab, then click on the resource monitor, then click on the memory tab. How much memory is hardware reserved can you post a screen shot?
  5. Are you having some major issue using the computer?
  6. Not really, but I do a lot of graphics work and when I have a bunch of the Adobe suite programs open, and a lot of files, things really slow down.

marcellis22 said:
    Are you having some major issue using the computer?
  7. Okay, "problem" solved!

Having not really read (in the terrible documentation for my mobo) how to install the memory in the right slots, I had two sticks in the wrong slots.

When I popped them out and moved them into alternating slots, they worked just fine. (I'd read about this as a possible fix in another forum).

So, the problem was human error, which I would never have discovered had Snipergod87 not asked about Hardware Reserved Memory...

Thanks everyone!
  8. Best answer selected by nicor.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets New Build Motherboards