SSD or Flashdrive for fast backup

rmlew

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I am looking for a removable backup device for about 55GB of data. I intend to use this device every weeknight.
I am considering a 64GB USB flash drive
The alternative is a 64gb SSD. I see that ADATA has one with a built-in USB 2 interface. As the server I am planning to backup only has USB2, this seems optimal. However, I am worried that the drive may break.

With USB2 you will be limited to about 30MB/sec transfer rates, which is not fast by any means at all.

IMO a flash drive and SSD drive would not be good for a back up every night. I find USB flash drives tend to fail quite a bit over time (faster than HDD based USB drives).

I think you would need a "beefier" solution than a USB based one depending on how critical you find your data.

USB2.0 will be very slow. Test with a small usb stick to see if that is OK.
If you need faster, use a usb3.0 port if you have one, or buy a usb3.0 add in expansion card.

A SSD is beneficial mostly for random access, not sequential like you will be doing in a backup.
The faster sequential speeds of a ssd come only when attached to a sata port.

I would use a hard drive based device. You can get a 320gb external hard drive for about the same price as a 64gb usb stick.
That would let you put 5 generations of your backup on the device.

rmlew

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
We have a hard drive, which we use for backup nightly. I am looking for an alternative to take home.
I should clarify that while the total data is ~50GB, the data that changes nightly is about 1GB.
I'd like to be able to back this up quickly every night and take it home. We had a flood and I don't trust cloud backups.

Then speed should not be an issue if you do a basic baclup, followed by incremental backups.

I would think a cloud backup would be mor secure. A quality organization will have plenty of redundancy.

Perhaps both a belt and suspenders. Usb flash drive, cloud, and hard drive too.

rmlew

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006

Thank you. I ordered this as I appreciate the built in security. I've lost USB sticks before. Who hasn't?