Sign in with
Your question

USB ports not working

Tags:
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 30, 2010 11:50:53 PM

Hi. I have recently been fixing an HP Compaq v3000 laptop. It was dropped about a year ago and it was thought that the hard drive was bad. Turns out the hard drive is fine and all I had to do was reinstall Windows XP. Everything on it is working properly except the USB ports. I have all the drivers straight from HP's website even the chipset drivers but to no avail.

The mouses and external hard drives I have tried are reviving power from the ports but are not being registered by windows at all. I have heard that this is a problem sometimes when doing a fresh install of XP and have even tried to find drivers for the mother board itself (30B5) but could not. I have even tried Ubuntu 10.4 and Windows 7 on this laptop and was still never able to get the usb ports to work. The only thing I can think of is to do another install of XP and then install the chipset drivers right away bc last time I did not do it right away and I was told that it's the first you're suppose to do. That or the Mobo is dying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It has an AMD processor.

More about : usb ports working

July 3, 2010 2:01:28 PM

Are the USB ports enabled in the Bios?
m
l
a b α HP
July 4, 2010 4:35:40 PM

Yes, when you re-install XP, install the chipset drivers first. After that, video, and then the rest. The order is important.

Everything will be at their default settings, and the USBs should work.
m
l
!