No audio output device detected, device manager has the device listed

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I just installed Server 2008 32bit (updated to sp2) on an old dell optiplex 760.
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...WW1&osl=en&SystemID=PLX_760&catid=-1&impid=-1

Accourding to them I have a "Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio"

I used the vista 32bit driver and it installed fine, I activated the windows audio service though admintools services.
I went to sound to confirm that everthing was working, and found out that the system says "no audio output device is installed" However when I go to device manager there are no ! and under sound devices I have SoundMAX Integrated Digital High Definition Audio listed. It is version 6.10.1.7250 dated 4/23/2009 and Digital Signer is microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

I have tried everything I can think of but I cannot get the sound to work.
Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also if for whatever reason you know this setup is impossible I'm open to buying an external usb sound card if it will definately work.

Thanks alot
Dev

Edit- When I select the device in device manager and check the status it says its working fine.
The hard ware Ids are
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&SUBSYS_1028027F&REV_1004
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&SUBSYS_1028027F

Edit2- When no drivers are installed 2008 sp2 detects the sound card as High definition audio device

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks for the responce.

1. I don't know for sure but that appears to be the case. when I dl the dell drivers for the sound card, listed as adi, the program launches a soundmax installer and installs the soundmax driver.

2. I have effectively no choices, thats the problem.
Under playback and recourding devices both are blank saying, no audio device installed( show disabled and show disconnected are both checked).

Thanks again
Dev

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
New Information:

When I restarted my computer just now it started with the error:

SMax4PNP.exe
This version of Audio ESP is not intended for this Operating System
(the only option is to click ok)

However when I go into control pannel and click soundmax audio esp it loads up fine, shows the imputs and will let me change a couple options.
Even if I go into audio esp and declick enable audio esp and reboot the computer still gives me the error

I hope this helps alittle.