EX58-UD3R and Virtual PC Issues

Alash

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
Hey guys, I need to run some older applications on my Windows 7 64-bit OS and heard that Virtual PC was the way to do it (compatibility mode didn't suffice). So I went on to install it and run it, but then get told that I can't because hardware-assisted visualization is disabled. My path then took me towards the BIOS and the search for a Visualization setting, but to no avail.

I then wanted to update my BIOS to make sure I had the latest version (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3265#bios) but failed to do so as running the FLASHSPI.EXE I get the error message that I'm running a 64-bit OS - and thus the endless loop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alash

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I run Windows 7 Ultimate, and Virtualization is set to "Enabled" in the CPU configuration menu.

It seems that the only way forward is to flash the BIOS, but I'm quite wary of doing so as I don't really know what I'm doing. I checked the manual and although it does talk about the option of a "Q-Flash" it doesn't explain how or with what consequences.

Do I simply download BIOS version FI, move the contents to an USB stick, hit the F key and hope for the best?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Pretty much yes. It might ask you to choose which BIOS file and stuff like that, but it's really straightforward.

bilbat

Splendid
Your problem with FLASHSPI.EXE is that it is meant to be run from a DOS boot. If you look on my website, this should give you a bootable USB stick. It has some pieces missing yet, and some bbcode tags uncorrected, but will get you through the basics. Alternatively, there are a couple of prelims to loading from a stick, using the BIOS utility. First, your stick must be formatted to FAT32 before placing the BIOS on it, as the BIOS can't 'see' NTFS. Second, on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page, the "USB Storage Function" must be set to "Enabled"...