Sign in with
Your question

Advice on $2800AU (approx) gaming comp

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2010 11:17:41 AM

hello everyone,
im currently about to purchase the parts for my first desktop (for a long time). i have done large parts of my research on tomshardware so i thought i might make an account and ask the knowledgeable crowd on these forums for advice

thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read/reply to my post :) 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this fortnight
BUDGET RANGE: around $2800 if more ill be buying 2 weeks later

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD gaming on max settings (is my dream), anything else that i may want to ever do

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: moniter, keyboard, mouse etc.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ill buy from a warehouse that is local, need more technical advise rather than cost advise (although im willing to save a dollar here and there if possible ;)  )

PARTS PREFERENCES: quality :p  first build of desktop so not much prior knowledge on brands
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI
CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 24"+ 1920x1080 or higher

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
question 1- a problem i have is i cant decide on a case. is water cooling a good option? ive been looking at some of the coolmasters, however im wondering if there are any recommended towers with a price range of anywhere up to about $400 au ($300 US id guesse) is it worth getting a $400 case as opposed to a $150 case?

question 2- this is my first build of a PC since highschool so im a bit out of date, if anyone can give me any advice on if i should change any of these parts below (and a reason why) and also if i have missed out anything that i will also need to buy (excluding moniters, mice, keyboards, bluray/dvd players/burners etc.etc.) really im just looking for some advise to get the maximum performance machine i can with comparable priced parts as the ones i listed below

edit: i forgot to ask question three
question 3- will i need aditional cooling for this set up? if so any recommendations (eg. advice on heatsinks etc.) i feel this is very important issue as i dont want to burn out any parts. if i overclock it will likely only be a small overclock.

G-B EX58-UD5

Core i7-930

6G Kit DDR3 2000 G.Skill-Trident

Kingston SNV425-S2 SSD 2.5” 128GB

2.5” Seagate SATA-500G

1GB 5870 Gigabyte x 2 W/ CROSSFIRE (not 100% sure which one of the gigabyte cards im getting from that link, whichever is in the warehouse im buying from as either will be fine for me)

Corsair TX850
April 23, 2010 12:25:53 PM

Firstly, I'd get a Corsair HX750W which would be more than enough for HD 5870 in CrossFireX, unless you're adding another one later on, then, the TX850W should be fine. Also, I'd get a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R or UD5. As for the HDD, why not get a normal 3.5" size HDD, specifically the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200RPM. I'd get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - it's a cheap cooler, but does the job well.
m
l
April 23, 2010 12:46:14 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I am getting the 850W psu mainly for some room for future upgrades and just to be on the safe side.
as for the mother board availability is my problem, with my 1366 pin options being rather limited. however i can get a larger selection of 1156 pin boards. the problem i have with this is that any discussions comparing the two are.... somewhat hard for me to understand. the general "gist" that i gathered was that the 1366 was mroe desirable for aiming for a 'top end machine' so i was going to go with that. any information to the contrary would be much appreciated, as swapping to a 1156 pin mobo and the i7 8x0 equivilant is fine by me.

as for the HDD availability was to be the issue, however if it will make much of a performance differance i think i shall just go to a retail shop and pay a bit more for the wider selection. as for the cooler master hyper 212 is something i now think will definately be in the build

thanks for the advice so far. any further suggestions are more than welcome :) 
m
l
!