Sign in with
Your question

Vapor-x overheat

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2010 6:27:06 AM

I have a Sapphire HD4890 vapor-x.
I think vapor-x means less temp and its a cooling solution, but while playing BFBC2 the temp goes around 80 degrees.
(before that I had a Sapphire HD4870 with alo heat pipes and it never went over 65 degrees in any game.)
But in Idle mode the temps are the same.(about 60)

What is the problem?
PS:My catalyst version is 10.3

More about : vapor overheat

March 29, 2010 7:10:25 AM

you have the fan set at auto in CCC ? set it manually until temps are cooler
March 29, 2010 7:29:59 AM

The ATi Radeon HD 4890 chip is bigger and faster than the HD 4870, and thus runs hotter. 80 degrees is actually not too bad temperature for that GPU, with Vapor-X it should still be lower though. Check your fan speeds.
Related resources
March 29, 2010 3:14:56 PM

I manually increase the fan speed (to about 80%) on my Sapphire 4890 because I have found that the automatic setting does not increase the fan speed enough for long gaming sessions.
March 29, 2010 7:40:19 PM

1-Increasing fan speed will draw more power and reduces the fan life and make more noise.
2-Overheating reduces GPU life.
3-So what should I do?
March 29, 2010 7:59:29 PM

@ Atomicprince11: Speed up the fan, although those load temperatures are not really anything to worry about.

The temperatures may also be reduced by: Installing a more powerful exhaust fan and by Installing either a side or front intake fan, depending on case design.
March 29, 2010 8:04:37 PM

Thank you coozie7.
But i paid more 20$ for vapor-x because i didn't want to add external fans.
March 29, 2010 9:51:45 PM

atomicprince11 said:
1-Increasing fan speed will draw more power and reduces the fan life and make more noise.
2-Overheating reduces GPU life.
3-So what should I do?
Increase the fan speed. AFIAK, increasing the fan speed will not decrease fan life. Chances are you will upgrade your video card long before you burn out the fan. Temporarily increasing the fan speed for gaming sessions will have negligible effects on how long the fan lives. And, I'm sure it could be argued otherwise, but I doubt that temporarily increasing the fan speed for gaming sessions will increase power consumption enough to be noticeable on your monthly power bill. Increasing the fan speed may put more load on the psu, but if you have a quality psu delivering enough amps, it is a non-issue. Increased fan noise is the (unfortunate) by-product of having high performance components and part and parcel of higher frame rates.

atomicprince11 said:
Thank you coozie7.
But i paid more 20$ for vapor-x because i didn't want to add external fans.
I paid extra for the VaporX so I could increase my gpu/memory overclocks; it was utlimately cheaper than buying an aftermarket gpu cooler. Also, proper case airflow and cooling is essential for optimal performance. If the case does not have proper airflow, no factory (or aftermarket) gpu/cpu cooler will keep your components within reasonable temps.

Heat is the killer of all high performance electronics. As mentioned, I manually increase the fan speed (to 80%) only for the time I am gaming and reduce the fan speed (to 40%) when not gaming.

Manually changing the fan speed and extra noise while gaming is better than burned out parts.
!