Sign in with
Your question

Is the GIGABYTE| GA-890FXA-UD5 a good choice for

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2011 9:31:21 PM

a phenom II 1100T with 8gb G Skill F-3 12800 CL 9 and a Gigabyte 5750 vid card . Will be used for light gaming and watching video . Want it to be usable for at least 3-4 years before it needs an upgrade . A decent buy for $440.00 or try to find something better for the price ?
Don't want to spend much more , Don't need s super computer , just something decent .
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 2:55:24 AM

While it's a great motherboard, I feel it's a bit too much motherboard for what you intend to do with the system. The 890FX chipset is designed to deliver expanded PCI-E bandwidth (32 lanes) for multiple-GPU configurations. (Ideally, x16/x16 2-way CrossFire, x16/x8/x8 3-way Crossfire, and even x8/x8/x8/x8 4-way CrossFire.) Since you only intend to use a single card, and a mainstream one at that, I'd suggest something more budget-oriented, yet still of excellent quality.

Perhaps one of these two $90 boards:
ASUS MA87TD EVO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock 870 Extreme3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both are capable of 2-way CrossFire should you ever desire it, with the ASUS capable of x8/x4 CrossFire, and the ASRock capable of an equally split x8/x8 CrossFire build.
m
l
January 5, 2011 4:02:28 AM

Thanks , but don't want to save money , just want the best bang for that $ amount . Might decide to add another card , always better to have the upgrade option and 2x16 is more future proof than 2x8 lanes . For now 1 card next month ?? Price is including tax and delivery , just wondering if there were a better board for the price .
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 12:56:42 AM

If it's actually "future-proofing" you're concerned about, buy a less expensive motherboard and use those savings towards the purchase of a more powerful and "future-proof" video card to start with. Further, the difference between x16/x16 and x8/x8 SLI and CrossFire is negligible, and no mid-range or budget GPU will likely come close to saturating even 8 PCI-E lanes anytime soon.
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:03:03 AM

Sure then when I buy a top video card I"ll have to buy a new board as well ??? Vid cards last about 6 months tops before I change them MB about 3 years . But what do I know , I retired at 40 .
Mistake I made , card is 6870 Gigabyte , used , but cheap
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 2:24:59 PM

I don't understand the question of having to buy a new motherboard if you were to "buy a top video card." All current motherboards use similar parts and technology. The differences found are in the chipset, power distribution, slot configurations, additional components (such as SATA 6Gbs and USB 3.0), cooling, and overall board layout. Despite those differences, they all use the same basic technologies, most of which are found in all chipsets and southbridges.

A 6870 is quite a step-up from a 5750 in terms of performance, and it should be more than capable of providing good-to-excellent performance in any game for at least a year or two, rather than 6 months.
m
l
!