Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard wont beep

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:20:57 AM

Hello,

This is my first time building a computer. I got AMD athlon II X3, ATX mobo, 500w PS, Gigabyte HD 5570 graphics card, and 4GB dual channel ram.

When I plug everything in and turn it on, all the lights and fans turn on but there is no signal to my monitor and I do not hear a beep from the motherboard.

Initially I thought it was my motherboard, but I returned it and got the one I have now and it is the same problem.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback!

John

More about : motherboard wont beep

a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 2:55:00 AM

Try breadboarding it, [build outside the case], might be a bad connection, [ground], or psu/cpu, does your gpu need one or more 6pin connections, or 4 pin to the mobo for the cpu ????? :) 
m
l
July 1, 2010 4:53:53 AM

dokk2 said:
Try breadboarding it, [build outside the case], might be a bad connection, [ground], or psu/cpu, does your gpu need one or more 6pin connections, or 4 pin to the mobo for the cpu ????? :) 

GPU=graphics card right?

My graphics card goes right into the motherboard PCI express slot with no other connections. I will try building it outside the case. How do you recommend I do that?
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2010 8:35:58 AM

Make sure you haven't screwed the graphics card in too tight.

The 5570 shouldn't need a 6pin PCI express power cable.

Motherboard manuals aren't very clear but yes you need the 4-pin Ps to the mobo as well as the 20(24)pin one.
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 10:06:33 AM

System specs?

You have worked through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
yes? I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard - that will isolate any kind of case problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

The breadboarding thread has a paragraph about how to build and test a PC in stages.

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.
You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, borrow a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 2:28:00 PM

Hey just to add on, I'm OP's friend BTW, he has two sticks of dual channel RAM. I made him try one stick at a time and had him flip the CMOS several times on his old Mobo.

His old mobo also had an integrated video card so I had him try and use that for his monitor. Also had him try without the video card installed, with video card (monitor attached to vid card).

I'm not 100% convinced that it isn't the RAM or the PS. But it definitely could also be the CPU.

With the old mobo, he installed the CPU the first time without lifting the lever first. He realized his mistake and then reinstalled the CPU by lifitng the lever, dropping the chip in, and locking the lever down. He said there weren't any pins bent or damaged when he took the CPU out.
m
l
July 9, 2010 5:12:53 AM

Quote:
Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.
You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

I got the system speaker. However, being a super noob at this, I can't figure out where my speaker goes. Like to my MB site: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=m...
Let me know if you guys figure out where the speaker goes! Appreciate all the help!

John
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2010 5:39:02 PM

On the JFP2 header:

Use the 'buzzer pins'

m
l
July 9, 2010 6:06:12 PM

or the speaker pins. if the speaker has a 4pin plug use pin 2+8
if its 2pin use 4+6.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2010 8:29:43 PM

my first thought when hearing the problem is powersupply. maybe try hooking up your friends psu , you can sometimes have enough power get the fans running but not enough juice to boot

afterthought. as said above if another psu doesn't load it try breadboarding with mobo cpu and ram only leave graphics card off (provided there is onboard video) and only use one ram module

also even it doesn't look bent trying to press the cpu in a zif socket bar down might have damaged it. if you know anybody with a working cpu willing to let you try putting that in if neither of these options result in function might be a good idea
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:57:49 AM

Best answer selected by johnzw89.
m
l
!