Sign in with
Your question

Changing default install drive

Last response: in Storage
June 1, 2012 11:00:08 PM

So I recently built a new computer and installed a OCZ Vertex SSD. I loaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit onto the SSD. I was able to change my User directory from the SSD to my regular hard drive using tips from the forums. I am still having trouble changing my default installation drive from my C:\ drive (SSD) to my A:\ (HDD). The link in the useful SSD links thread did not work for this issue. I would like to do this before I install to much onto my computer so I minimize my risk of messing up certain programs.

Or is it easier to just change the location every time I try to install something? Curious what peoples opinions are when it comes to loading the OS onto a SSD with limited space.

Thanks
a c 260 G Storage
June 2, 2012 12:38:00 AM

I never found the need to default it since I always specify the path myself anyway. As an example every install just wants to go in a program folder but I like the default folder for games to be "games" what ever drive I decide to install on.
June 2, 2012 9:49:36 PM

Im just trying to prevent myself from having to change the drive every single time that I install a program.
Related resources
June 3, 2012 1:32:13 AM

Ok so I tried this method and it doesnt seem to work. It just installs to C:\ still. Im assuming that I need to restart my computer after I change the registry. That still does not help. It worked perfectly for my User folders. Program files is just giving me problems.

The only thing that I noticed was after changing the path to the A:\ instead of C:\ it would not let me open program shortcuts that were in C:\. It would tell me the path from A:\ did not exsist. So in that respect it worked.

So really the only problem is getting programs to install onto the A:\
June 3, 2012 1:33:26 AM

Ok so I tried this method and it doesnt seem to work. It just installs to C:\ still. Im assuming that I need to restart my computer after I change the registry. That still does not help. It worked perfectly for my User folders. Program files is just giving me problems.

The only thing that I noticed was after changing the path to the A:\ instead of C:\ it would not let me open program shortcuts that were in C:\. It would tell me the path from A:\ did not exsist. So in that respect it worked.

So really the only problem is getting programs to install onto the A:\
a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 1:35:16 AM

What kind of programs? The best method is to custom install into your other drive (HDD). As far as windows updates is concerned it will update where your OS is.

I also read that you can change the registry. But, it doesn't seem to work in your case.
June 3, 2012 2:30:18 AM

I tried installing Firefox..maybe im just being OCD about it and want everything to be uniform on this new build..I like all my files to be organized.
a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 2:32:46 AM

No worries, I know what you mean.
!