ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hey community,

I might get a SSD tomorrow, but one thing I am not really sure about. I have a HDD as well, when I install the SSD, do I have to manually go to BIOS and put the system boot priority, for both of my upcoming SSD and my HDD? Like do I put DVD player for first boot, then put my SSD for second boot, and HDD for the third boot? Thanks for the help.

Solution
D
Your motherboard will see the SSD as a hard drive. Just unplug any hard drives you have and plug in the SSD and DVD/CD drive only. Change the boot order in BIOS to DVD/CD drive first and install Windows. Then you can change the boot order to hard disk first and can plug any data drives you have back in.
D

Deleted member 217926

Your motherboard will see the SSD as a hard drive. Just unplug any hard drives you have and plug in the SSD and DVD/CD drive only. Change the boot order in BIOS to DVD/CD drive first and install Windows. Then you can change the boot order to hard disk first and can plug any data drives you have back in.

Solution

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Oh, so when i install my Operating system, first i plug in my DVD drive and my SSD and make the DVD drive as primary boot and SSD for the secondary boot. Then after installing operating system, then i plug the HDD that i have. Am I right? And also, do I have to do anything after plug in the HDD after i install the operating system? thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

You got it. No there is nothing special to do after you install Windows and plug in your data drives.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Ok thanks for that. What if i did plug in both drives when i install my operating system? Doesn't the system shows up two separate drives when i install my operating system? Just wondering if it works also?

D

Deleted member 217926

It will stop alot of problems if you just have the drive you are installing the OS on plugged in by itself. No matter if it's an SSD or a mechanical hard drive. Then, after the OS is installed you can plug in your data drives.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Really? Thanks for your suggestion. Umm, any tips for using the SSD? I know that you DON'T even defrag them, because its not good for the SSD. Any other tips you want to share? Its my first time to get a SSD, I want to take care of it... Thanks.

G

You'll want to reduce write cycles if possible and empty your recycle bin (TRIM). You may want to move the window's temp and log files to another drive to reduce write cycles.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

How do you move window's temp and log files? Never heard that before.

D

Deleted member 217926

You should read this guide.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Personally with a 120GB SSD I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Office 2007 and other programs and about 10 Steam games on my drive and have about 28GB free. I will uninstall a game I am no longer playing when I install new games but with Steam that is extremely easy.

I use my 2 x 640GB WD Blacks as storage. All my music, vidoes and pictures are on these drives.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I am planning to get like a 240 - 256 GB, was planning for a 128GB, but I somehow realized that its little less storage for my programs.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks the the sean's SSD optimization link, but theres couple questions that i don't get from it? What is MBR and GPT format? What is Hibernation File and why to remove it or turn it off? What is Page file and why to shrink it or turn it off? What is Prefetch and Superfetch and why to turn them off? And, so i install the operating system for the SSD, then turn it off, plug in my HDD, turn it back on and download the drivers for the system? Sorry I not that good on SSDs.