Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What is the is the best P.C. Speaker Set as of current?

Last response: in Components
July 1, 2010 3:33:44 AM

I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card and I want to make use of it. My main reason is for video gaming, I want the best sound for video gaming.

I am interested and WANT TO get a 7.1 P.C. Speaker Set, that is exactly why I want the Creative Gigaworks S750, but they seem to be discontinued everywhere and I can not find any other 7.1 P.C. Speakers as good as that.

Does anybody know any other good 7.1 P.C. Speaker Set or a really good 5.1 one?

More about : speaker set current

Related resources
July 1, 2010 4:43:22 PM

Your sound card is really best suited for two channel audio. Using it for 7.1 requires using digital out, I believe, which means all that wonderful circuitry in the STX is bypassed.

I would be looking at studio monitors and/or quality headphones. Check out brands like Swan, M-Audio, KRK, Genelec, etc. if you're interested.
July 1, 2010 4:55:25 PM

minun said:
I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card and I want to make use of it. My main reason is for video gaming, I want the best sound for video gaming.

I am interested and WANT TO get a 7.1 P.C. Speaker Set, that is exactly why I want the Creative Gigaworks S750, but they seem to be discontinued everywhere and I can not find any other 7.1 P.C. Speakers as good as that.

If you have the money I recommend
Onkyo 9100
I have these speakers and they sound amazing, I use them for my pc, tv, ps3, and a bunch of other things.
July 1, 2010 5:06:06 PM

I can attest to the quality of the Z-5500 from Logitech I have had them for a few months maybe longer and they sound incredible. For the cost of these speakers is really not that much considering what you get for the money. IMO to get anything to sound better you are gonna be looking at spending at least 750 to $1000 for a set that could even come close to the sound of this system.

Quote:
If you have the money I recommend
Onkyo 9100
I have these speakers and they sound amazing, I use them for my pc, tv, ps3, and a bunch of other things.

This setup will really defeat the purpose of your highend audio card since the Onkyo's DAC will do all the processing which isnt a bad thing but hell you have a $200+ sound card might as well use it to its potential.
July 1, 2010 6:00:35 PM

@astrallite I am looking for a set that is more friendly towards a P.C. set-up rather than a home theater, that is too much/big to match my computer area.

@philologas I already have my monitor, I won't be buying another one just for sound, but I do have headphones for sound, but I also want P.C. speaker set just for general usages when I do not want to wear the headphones. Could you elaborate on your first sentence?

I agree with SAAIELLO on the last sentence
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2010 6:40:27 PM

i found most computer speakers to be utter crap. the creative, logitech, cyber acoustic, etc., all sound like cheap tweeters in tin cans. the 5.1 sound worse then the 2.1 systems. I have the Klipsch THX 2.1 set. http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-over...

they sound like actual speakers and are built off the quintet system
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/quintet-iii-overv...

but if you want the best sounding PC speakers
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4503

i had a pair of B&W stereo speakers. they have an excellent clean and natural sound.
July 1, 2010 8:36:48 PM

There are plenty of sets of Klipsch 5.1 Promedias on ebay.

Those Onkyo speakers are not big at all...they are only 3lbs/each. Typical passive bookshelf/stand-mount monitors monitors are 10-40lbs/each. Of course if you have a tiny desk that can barely hold your monitor I could see that being an issue.
July 1, 2010 11:53:40 PM

I have went through multiple reviews and it seems that Logitech Z-5500 is the top choice for pc video gaming, most reviews even compared it to the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1.

I belive I can going to go with the Z-5500 unless anyone else can recommend something 'better'.

Now, since I have my speakers set, my only other question is what type of connection should I use to connect to my P.C.? The only audio connection that I know is the standard 3.5mm jack since my current Yamaha speaker set is from years ago.
July 2, 2010 2:17:17 AM

The logitech Z-5500 is an excellent choice for gaming.. Although pairing it up with the Essence is out of understanding.. You should've got a D2X instead.. Although the Essence can output multi channel audio via digital, its ideally not meant for that.. May be you could get some quality headphones along with your speakers to properly utilize the cards true worth..
July 2, 2010 2:45:33 AM

Might as well return your Essence if your plain is to run them with the Z-5500s, complete waste of money. There are cheaper solutions that do the exact same thing: optical + Dolby Digital Live.
July 2, 2010 4:03:55 AM

Yup, I have quality headphones to go with them, but like I said, I do not want to wear the headphone EVERYTIME I use the computer, so I just want speakers for when I don't want them on.

Could you guys elaborate on why the speakers won't take advantage of the Essence, I get it but I don't fully understand why.
July 2, 2010 4:06:31 AM

Because using the digital out bypasses the sound cards processing. The sound quality between onboard and the essence stx will be the same since all they are doing is streaming 1s and 0s from the CPU.
July 2, 2010 4:43:39 AM

Ah I see.

But for me to further understand, Could you tell me what connections are 'Digital Out' and what connections would take advantage of the Essence Stx's processing power?
July 2, 2010 9:08:17 AM

First of all, I'm sorry to have confused you about "monitors." I was talking about monitor speakers; they are called "monitors" because they are designed to sound best when they are close to your position (such as on a desk), just like video monitors are intended to be seen up close. They are sometimes labeled "studio" because they are often used for mixing audio.

Your STX has five external connections. Front L and Front R are RCA analog connections; they are for hooking up a left and right speaker for 2.0 audio. They can also be passed through a subwoofer for a 2.1 system. There's a 1/4 headphone jack (analog), and a 1/4 input jack often used for a microphone. Finally, there's a S/PDIF out (Sony/Philips Digital Interface), which has an RCA type connection that uses coaxial cable.

Your analog outputs will use the very good components in the STX that convert digital music to analog (all music must become analog at some point - sound is analog). Your digital output will use similar components in a receiver, or sometimes the subwoofer of a system like the Logitech Z-5500. Unless you use a high end receiver, those components will be of much better quality in the STX.

The STX is a rather niche sound card for audiophiles using high end headphones or speaker pair. If you're really looking for a 7.1 gaming sound card, you really choose poorly, I'm afraid. You should return if at all possible.

I would recommend a Creative X-Fi or ASUS D Series card.

edit:

Both analog and digital outputs will use the cards processor and potentially take some load off your CPU. However, with today's CPU's the effect is supposedly small. Creative's cards and ones based off their audio processors like the Auzentech's are really much better at boosting performance than ASUS cards.
July 2, 2010 5:34:35 PM

minun said:
Ah I see.

But for me to further understand, Could you tell me what connections are 'Digital Out' and what connections would take advantage of the Essence Stx's processing power?

The STX only has 3 outputs: digital coaxial, 3.5mm ( 1/8" ) stereo minijack (for headphones), RCA (for 2 channel stereo).

There is nothing for surround sound using the STX's DAC or DSP.
July 2, 2010 6:07:34 PM

for 2.1 the best PC speakers out there are razer mako

if u want 2,1 that is better then u will have to invest in an amp and some passives.
July 2, 2010 6:09:15 PM

...or you could invest in some studio/reference monitors.

but you will need a mixer if you want to connect them with ease.
July 2, 2010 6:13:55 PM

ct1615 said:
i found most computer speakers to be utter crap. the creative, logitech, cyber acoustic, etc., all sound like cheap tweeters in tin cans. the 5.1 sound worse then the 2.1 systems. I have the Klipsch THX 2.1 set. http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-over...

they sound like actual speakers and are built off the quintet system
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/quintet-iii-overv...

but if you want the best sounding PC speakers
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4503

i had a pair of B&W stereo speakers. they have an excellent clean and natural sound.

the B&W and the Razer MAKO, comes real close, for the actual performace regarding the price, B&W wins in terms of sound quality, not that much better, but still you hear a noticable improvement, however bass cant extend as low as th MAKO, if money aint the problem, then id either go for the B&W or some reference monitors, with a gd mixer.
July 2, 2010 9:31:58 PM

For $500 you can do so much better than those B&W MM-1s. It's "okay" if you have extreme space requirements but I can't see myself ever listening to tiny speakers again. They strain extremely hard to to produce full range extension. A 3" driver can only do so much, and B&Ws obsession with kevlar doesn't help.

Those specs are pretty generous...38 Hz to 22 KHz. I wonder if that's like +/- 10 dB? I've got a pair of monitors weighing 80lbs that can't extend that low.
July 3, 2010 8:13:00 AM

I recommend the audioengine 2's if price is concern. The sound impressed me for their size and especially their price. $199 a pair just can't be beat. Just pair it with a sub and it will be pretty good.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2#overview

I agree with astrallite that spending that much money on such small speakers is somewhat wasteful. If space is an issue might as well go with a pair of headphones.

Also astrallite just curious what kind of speakers do you have?
July 3, 2010 9:04:25 AM

the MAKOs are 40hz-18Khz (-/+ 2.5db)

the b&W might be within 3db idk..

my logitech speaker z-4 back in 2005 could hit down to 40 while going 2 times quiet, im sure the mm-1's could do a little better.
July 3, 2010 8:27:48 PM

anonymousdude said:
I recommend the audioengine 2's if price is concern. The sound impressed me for their size and especially their price. $199 a pair just can't be beat. Just pair it with a sub and it will be pretty good.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2#overview

I agree with astrallite that spending that much money on such small speakers is somewhat wasteful. If space is an issue might as well go with a pair of headphones.

Also astrallite just curious what kind of speakers do you have?

The speakers in question are Usher Be-718 bookshelves. They weigh 38lbs each due to thick cabinets to reduce resonance (1.5" MDF). They've got a 1.25" beryllium tweeter and a 7" long throw woofers that weigh in at 12.2lbs.

They measure 48 Hz - 45 KHz, +/-3 dB, which is deeper than many floorstanders.

I've got them paired with a pair of Infinity Cascade 15s. Each of the subwoofers weighs 100lbs, and go down +/-3db at 32 Hz.

There is no way in hell any of those tiny PC speakers go any deeper than 70 Hz -3 dB. Here's what Razor Mako claims on their website: 25 Hz - 20,000 Hz (+/-2.5dB 40 Hz - 18,000 Hz), shipping weight 23lbs.

-_-
July 3, 2010 8:48:59 PM

ive got them at home... and ye it hits down to 40 without to much change in volume... im sure most 8inches can hit down to 40hz without much deviations.

logitech z-2300 back in 2007 could hit to 50 b4 fallbbing down quietly.
July 3, 2010 8:56:54 PM

astrallite said:
The speakers in question are Usher Be-718 bookshelves. They weigh 38lbs each due to thick cabinets to reduce resonance (1.5" MDF). They've got a 1.25" beryllium tweeter and a 7" long throw woofers that weigh in at 12.2lbs.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/usheraudio_be718/frequency_listeningwindow.gif

I've got them paired with a pair of Infinity Cascade 15s. Each of the subwoofers weighs 100lbs, and go down +/-3db at 32 Hz.

There is no way in hell any of those tiny PC speakers go any deeper than 70 Hz -3 dB. Here's what Razor Mako claims on their website: 25 Hz - 20,000 Hz (+/-2.5dB 40 Hz - 18,000 Hz), shipping weight 23lbs.

-_-

im sure msot bookshelves could go deeper then floorstanders. some do some dont, they all have disadvantages and advantages, some have higher SPL in cost to sound quality,

you should check the frequency resonse on the logitech z-5500, it can hit down to 30HZ and thats with squat all deviation. you can check them out on tomshardware

and jsut so you know the logitech z-5500 is still only a PC speaker.
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 9:09:16 PM

MEgamer said:
im sure msot bookshelves could go deeper then floorstanders. some do some dont, they all have disadvantages and advantages, some have higher SPL in cost to sound quality,

you should check the frequency resonse on the logitech z-5500, it can hit down to 30HZ and thats with squat all deviation. you can check them out on tomshardware

and jsut so you know the logitech z-5500 is still only a PC speaker.

The Z-5500 might go down to 30, but there's no way it does it anywhere NEAR as cleanly or clearly as any decent set of non-PC speakers.

Oh, and Astrallite: nice to see someone else cares about sound. I've got a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 685s paired with an SVS 16-46 PC Plus sub. It's not quite as nice as your setup, but it does a darn good job, and I've measured it in room as flat to 18Hz.
July 3, 2010 9:12:19 PM

cjl said:
The Z-5500 might go down to 30, but there's no way it does it anywhere NEAR as cleanly or clearly as any decent set of non-PC speakers.

Oh, and Astrallite: nice to see someone else cares about sound. I've got a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 685s paired with an SVS 16-46 PC Plus sub. It's not quite as nice as your setup, but it does a darn good job, and I've measured it in room as flat to 18Hz.

we are not talkign about sound quality, we are jsut talking about how low speakers can hit, within the specified frequency response
July 3, 2010 9:31:31 PM

Considering the fact that the thread started with the very intention of obtaining speakers geared primarily towards gaming, the z-5500 remains the best choice.. Its only that the Essence is impractical to be used for gaming.. If only OP could swap it with the D2X, everything will get resolved.. But till then, the Essence will surely work with the 5500..
July 3, 2010 10:56:50 PM

cjl said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCVsyVBCV4

I believe this individual measured the Z-5500s to be either down -30 or -40 dB at either 30 or 40 Hz.

Going "down to 30 Hz" would actually require to be no less than -6 dB at 30 Hz.

I would take Tomshardware's measurements with a grain of salt. This is the same guy who can't seem to get the same video card benchmarks as everyone else. The Dayton Sub-120 is considered an excellent budget sub with a 12" driver and it is down nearly 30 dB at 40 Hz.
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 11:46:45 PM

astrallite said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCVsyVBCV4

I believe this individual measured the Z-5500s to be either down -30 or -40 dB at either 30 or 40 Hz.

Going "down to 30 Hz" would actually require to be no less than -6 dB at 30 Hz.

I would take Tomshardware's measurements with a grain of salt. This is the same guy who can't seem to get the same video card benchmarks as everyone else. The Dayton Sub-120 is considered an excellent budget sub with a 12" driver and it is down nearly 30 dB at 40 Hz.

Interesting. I'd be more interested in anechoic or ground plane measurements, but that's a decent start (in-room extension is heavily affected by placement of both the sub and the measuring device).

Oh, and there is no decent sub with a 12" driver that is down 30dB at 40Hz. Any remotely decent 12" sub should hit 30Hz relatively flat (into the 20s is harder).
July 4, 2010 1:09:36 AM

cjl said:
Interesting. I'd be more interested in anechoic or ground plane measurements, but that's a decent start (in-room extension is heavily affected by placement of both the sub and the measuring device).

Oh, and there is no decent sub with a 12" driver that is down 30dB at 40Hz. Any remotely decent 12" sub should hit 30Hz relatively flat (into the 20s is harder).

"Decent" to you and me is >$300 on an online direct subwoofer and >$1000 on a retail subwoofer. For most people that's not in their budget.

Also it depends on design needs. Retail brands like Klipsch, Energy, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Velodyne, sell subs that are designed for more output (home theater needs) and thus have very little extension below 30 Hz under $1,000 price range. They don't really offer you subs with notable sub-25 Hz output until you start going into monster ~100-200lb subwoofers in the $2k price range. Online direct companies sells subwoofers for extension starting from the smaller models, although output is lower unless you go to one of their larger offerings.
July 4, 2010 12:32:38 PM

i think itd be easy to go for live sounds if your looking for subwoofers that will extends flat till 30 with very little deviation (-3dB)
July 5, 2010 8:33:43 AM

astrallite said:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/usheraudio_be718/frequency_listeningwindow.gif

-_-

I wish I had as nice speakers as you guys, but sadly I don't have enough money as I am still in school and almost all of my money goes towards college. I did however find out that my dad had drivers from which I can assemble my own speakers. Just have to find them, but according to my dad they're dynaudio, focal, scanspeak, seas, and a couple others. Might have to do that in my spare time, but for now my Grado SR60's will be enough.
July 5, 2010 12:36:19 PM

minun said:

I also was after the Gigaworks S750 about 2 yrs ago and couldn't find them, so I bought the Gigaworks G500 5.1 which totally rock, and I was going to recommend them to you but cannot find them available anymore, anywhere, either?

I went straight to Cambridge Soundworks, as they were the originators behind the Creative EAX speaker release, obviously there's been some serious problems between them and Creative, and they don't even offer a 5.1 PC solution that I could find and it appears they've turned their efforts towards Home Theater line of products.

You probably won't find what you're looking for but maybe on Ebay, most that own those speaker systems won't depart with them, they're that good IMO, so I'll second this suggestion that's already been suggested to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=
July 5, 2010 3:30:17 PM

i swear the creative cambridge sound system is overrated.
July 5, 2010 5:52:28 PM

MEgamer said:

The Gigaworks S750 is the last speakers that Cambridge Soundworks design team created before it was completely dissolved (along with the entire brand; the retail stores shut down) because after Creative "acquired" CS they decided it wasn't profitable enough. They were pretty much just milking the name in other releases.

And we know how that turned out...Creative's idea of "hi-fi" is high margins, nonsensical designs.
July 5, 2010 5:59:18 PM

exactly.
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2010 2:49:50 AM

anonymousdude said:
I wish I had as nice speakers as you guys, but sadly I don't have enough money as I am still in school and almost all of my money goes towards college. I did however find out that my dad had drivers from which I can assemble my own speakers. Just have to find them, but according to my dad they're dynaudio, focal, scanspeak, seas, and a couple others. Might have to do that in my spare time, but for now my Grado SR60's will be enough.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a good pair of headphones. I have a pair of grados and love them.
July 6, 2010 9:15:15 AM

MEgamer said:

Do you actually own a Creative Cambridge Sound System yourself?
July 6, 2010 9:30:06 AM

astrallite said:
The Gigaworks S750 is the last speakers that Cambridge Soundworks design team created before it was completely dissolved (along with the entire brand; the retail stores shut down) because after Creative "acquired" CS they decided it wasn't profitable enough. They were pretty much just milking the name in other releases.

And we know how that turned out...Creative's idea of "hi-fi" is high margins, nonsensical designs.

I have 2 sets of Cambridge designed and built speaker systems for the PC, the first set is 5.1 with a Cambridge metal embossed emblem on each speaker, the only credit towards Creative was on the box the speakers came in, they still today are excellent gaming speakers.

The second set are also 5.1 the G500 series, they have Creative / THX metal embossed emblem on each speaker, they are absolutely superb speakers, I've never the first time regretted purchasing either of these speaker systems, no matter how Creative screwed things up with Cambridge, for the record Cambridge itself designs and makes a quality product.

!