krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
So I've got a motherboard picked out that I want. Seems to be pretty good for what I want it for, and the pirce is right. Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425&cm_re=gigabyte_motherboard-_-13-128-425-_-Product

Now I need to get a processor. I'd like to get an i7 but tooo expensive ha.
What do you all think of the i5..or for the price.. the dual core E5400:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116076

I've also got a case and power supply combo picked out. I'm wondering if the board will be alright in this case:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260590912570&Category=51063&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I'm also looking for a processor and mobo that is 64-bit compatible.

Just lookin for some thoughts, opinions and suggestions. Honestly, I've received more response from HotHardware than here :s Hopefully, I'll hear from you all! Thanks.

To start, that board isn't compatible with that CPU. You need the i5-750 or i7-860.

I wouldn't touch that cas/PSU. It's likely the PSU is most likely crap and the case doesn't seem like it's very high quailty. Be wary of anything that offers a PSU and a case for less than the price of a quality PSU alone.

Grab an Antec 200, Antec 300, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster Elite, Coolermaster Centurion 5, or Coolermaster 690 for your case. For the PSU, get any unit from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic.

And if you haven't heard this on the other site, they're absolute morons.

EDIT: I should add that judging by the parts you've choosen, you should probably be looking at an AMD build. They're a heck of a lot cheaper and just as good. I'd recommend looking at the X4 955 (about $170) and the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 (about $98).

You're probably not getting a lot of responses here because you haven't given us enough information to give a good recommendation. What will you be using the system for? What's your budget? One thing is for sure - you can't use an LGA 775 CPU (E5400) on an LGA 1156 motherboard so that's not even an option.

Without knowing the important information above, this is what I'd suggest for the motherboard and CPU.

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $142.99

This is an upgraded version of the motherboard you linked to. It has a better socket and SATA 6GB/s support for future upgrades.

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor $208.99

My work doesn't allow us to browse to Ebay, so I can't see your case/PSU combo. I'll have to let somebody else comment on that.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
thanks for the input. I noticed that about the motherboard onlly being compatible with i5 or i7 after I already made the post. So, what do you think of i5?

You mentioned the board a step up from the one I chose, for 142.99. Honestly, as long as you guys think its a decent board, I'd like to stick to the first one I mentioned here because the price is right. I'm not looking for anything too hard core. I will only be using this system for personal use: basic internet browsing, email, word processing, dvd burning, some games but not too much. Maybe WoW, runscape, Aion... can't see myself playing games that are too hard core. Not a huge gamer.

I want something fast though. Yet I don't wan to shell out too much for a mobo and cpu. But I want to get my moneys worth thats all. That Gygabyte board I mentioned here off Newegg.ca is about 129.00. I'm not willing to shell anymore than that for a board. I realize AMD is much cheaper, but personally I don't like the performance of AMD. I find Intel performs better. However, if you think I can get BETTER performance from an AMD processor for the money, I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like a 64-bit system, to run 64-bit version of WIndows 7, I'm looking at about 4 GB to start but will probably be upgrading to 8 or 16GB.

With regard to the case/PS off ebay... hmmm...I just thought it was a good buy. With regard to the quality of the case... I'm not too worried about that. I don't need anything super fancy but would like something with a clear/see through side panel. With regard to the PS... buying it seperate, they're is little difference in the price or they're more.

AMD will perform just the same as Intel for your uses. You certainly get more performance for the amount paid if you consider it as a ratio (i.e performance per dollar).

You will not need 8 GB of RAM for a long time.

The point of buying a PSU isn't that you save buy getting them separate from the case. It's that you get a better quality PSU. The PSU can quickly make a build go from a good idea to a waste of money. You should NOT skimp on quality here.

Here's a general idea for a build that will be more than enough for your purposes:

CPU: X3 425 $74
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $98
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $123
GPU: HD 5770 $152
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $60
Case: Coolermaster Elite $45
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W $80
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24

Total: $656

A similar i5 build will add nearly $200 to that and give you absolutely nothing. You could spend a little more and get the X4 955 as the CPU.

I don't know where you got it in your head that AMD chips perform poorly. If somebody sat you down in front of a computer that was running an i5 750 and another one that was running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the tasks you will be performing. That's especially true when it comes to gaming.

If the motherboard and CPU I linked to are too expensive, I completely agree with MadAdmiral about getting the Phenom II X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3.

Edit: Beat to the punch by the Admiral again. :) That's twice in one thread. I really need to work on my typing speed. :lol:

The reliability of the old Foxconn socket hasn't been tested as far as long-term reliability goes. Sure overclocking accelerates the failure rate, but $13 is money well spent on the upgraded socket IMO. I'm not disagreeing with you MadAdmiral, I'm just trying to drive the point home with the OP on the importance of the upgraded socket.

OP, if you're balking at the price of the GA-P55A-UD3 then it would certainly seem that an AMD build would serve you better.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
If you think I could get better bang for the buck with an AMD processor than perhaps ill give it a go. With regard to that other Gigabyte board you suggested, Macadmiral, it doesn' thave great reviews. I'd be willing to get that other one suggested for $142. Only that is in Intel board, no?

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
SO I've decided to go with an Intel Core i3. I've read they're pretty good for the money. And I can upgrade to an i5 or i7 in the future if I really want to. With regard to my budget, I've got a few gigabyte Mobos picked out... Opinions please?

gh-h55m-s2h

h55m-usb3

ga-p55-usb3

The h55M-s2h is cheapest. Comes to about 260 w/ CPU, tax and S&H included.

I typically never recommend the i3 except for HTPCs and some builds that need a little more CPU power than the cheapest AMD systems AND a little more graphics power than onboard. I NEVER recommend them when you're buying a discrete video card because there are better CPUs for cheaper that require a GPU. I don't think the i3s are particularly good for the price.

I would highly recommend sticking with an AMD build. An upgrade to the i5-750 isn't really a good upgrade path when you can get into the AMD build for $150 (CPU+board), currently have the X4 955 for a good price as an upgrade AND can potentially throw in a six core CPU later. AMD is much more upgradeable now than anything Intel offers. In fact, Intel has already announced their next sockets (LGA1155 and LGA1365 I think), so you won't be seeing many CPUs come out for the current socket, if any are released.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
hey all

I havent posted in a while, been busy with other things. Just saw this ad on Newegg though and I really like the combo. I think its good enough or what i'm looking for, not a bad combo, and I don't think the price is too bad. I don't really like the case but other than tht... what do you all think?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.391736

Is this all compatible to run a 64-bit machine though. I think it is...but I would like to run a 64-bit version of windows 7 eventually