GAIT for GSM

I notice Cingular has two features "GAIT for GSM" and "GAIT calling areas"
What is the difference?

Phil
15 answers Last reply
More about gait

    In article <ypG0e.38151$8D.9361@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    pclewis@sprynet.com says...
    > I notice Cingular has two features "GAIT for GSM" and "GAIT calling areas"
    > What is the difference?
    >
    > Phil

    I don't know but that may be why a few people have not been able to get
    it to work correctly - they may be missing one of the features.

    Just as a pure guess from the wording alone, the first might be the main
    feature that allows an ESN to be entered & recognized on the account
    while the 2nd might cause a GAIT database to be downloaded instead of a
    GSM-only one.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
    according to CS.

    Darn.

    In article <1111867802.775784.311820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    dmartin@newarts.com says...
    > as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
    > according to CS.
    >
    > Darn.

    Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
    least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
    convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
    w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
    keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    "Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    > In article <1111867802.775784.311820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > dmartin@newarts.com says...
    >> as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
    >> according to CS.
    >>
    >> Darn.
    >>

    > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
    > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
    > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
    > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
    > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
    > --
    > Jud
    > Dallas TX USA

    You can still provision GAIT access with a GSM plan from a retail store.

    I do it all the time.

    --
    JJ

    http://www.cingular.com
    http://www.texaspowerhouse.com
    http://www.txmma.com

    Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when? No,
    they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.

    >>as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
    >>according to CS.
    >>
    >>Darn.
    >
    > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
    > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
    > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
    > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
    > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.

    Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
    be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
    Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
    on a GSM only phone.

    TH

    In article <4246D686.2010608@example.net>, user@example.net says...
    > >>as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
    > >>according to CS.
    > >>
    > >>Darn.
    > >
    > > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
    > > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
    > > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
    > > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
    > > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
    >
    > Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
    > be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
    > Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
    > on a GSM only phone.
    >
    > TH

    You mean switch my current GAIT plan to a T62U first, then activate
    GPRS, then stick the SIM in a new PDA phone? That's an idea I had't
    considered.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    In article <i9q1e.5711$H06.4158@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
    > Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when? No,
    > they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.

    Cares? Apparently not but they "should" be caring--if they fully drop
    all GAIT options before most of the small carriers have converted then
    they could be pressured to reduce the "official" map coverage which they
    wouldn't want to do. By whom you say--Verizon for one would love to rub
    it in that Cingular wouldn't really have national coverage anymore.

    Compare the data map to the normal national map and you'll discover
    those "small" carriers actually cover a huge amount of area - where
    Cingular has no presence whatsoever. Some of us actually need coverage
    away from the metroplexses and interstates--certainly not "most" but a
    significant number need true nationwide not just "cities over 50k".
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    In Iowa all cellular providers are all CDMA
    here they are all US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, MidWest Wireless,
    Western Wireless (Cellular1), Great Lakes of Iowa (Cellular1), Cellular
    29 Plus, Lyrix Wireless.
    Only 1 provider will do GSM on 1900 MHz PCS that is Western Wireless.
    If you need GSM coverage it will have to be from a PCS provider.
    No GSM at 850 in Iowa.

    T-Mobiles affilate Iowa Wireless has great rural GSM coverage in the
    northeast quadrant of the state.
    Other than that Freeways and Metros in Iowa are covered by T-Mobile and
    Cingular.
    TDMA Coverage is in all Cellular markets in Iowa since US Cellular,
    Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa use it.

    So if you are a Cingular customer and need to do traveling in areas in
    Iowa where there is no GSM you need a GAIT phone to pick up the TDMA
    signal.

    --
    agentHibby
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jud,
    I tried to send a private email but somehouw I didn't translate your email
    address correctly.

    If you decide to go this route I have a T62u my wife has stopped using.

    Remove "nospam" from my address to send a private email.

    I'm in Addison.

    Bob Walker

    > In article <4246D686.2010608@example.net>, user@example.net says...

    >> > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be
    >> > at
    >> > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
    >> > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
    >> > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
    >> > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
    >>
    >> Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
    >> be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
    >> Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
    >> on a GSM only phone.
    >>
    >> TH
    >>

    > You mean switch my current GAIT plan to a T62U first, then activate
    > GPRS, then stick the SIM in a new PDA phone? That's an idea I had't
    > considered.
    > --
    > Jud
    > Dallas TX USA
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    agentHibby wrote:
    > In Iowa all cellular providers are all CDMA
    > here they are all US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, MidWest Wireless,
    > Western Wireless (Cellular1), Great Lakes of Iowa (Cellular1), Cellular
    > 29 Plus, Lyrix Wireless.
    > Only 1 provider will do GSM on 1900 MHz PCS that is Western Wireless.
    > If you need GSM coverage it will have to be from a PCS provider.
    > No GSM at 850 in Iowa.

    A good portion of Western Wireless's GSM coverage is at 850 mHz,
    including some areas also covered by 1900.

    TH
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Tropical Haven Wrote:
    > A good portion of Western Wireless's GSM coverage is at 850 mHz,
    > including some areas also covered by 1900.
    >
    > THWhat I understood was most of the GSM network they have T-mobile gave
    them 10 MHz licenses to build a GSM network at 1900 so T-mobile and
    all other GSM phones could roam. I am told there are a few areas but
    not many were WW put GSM on there Cellular network (850) at dealer in
    Southern Utah last fall. Is this incorrect?

    --
    agentHibby
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Cingular cared about none of these issues when they terminated GAIT in
    GA/NC

    Cingular stopped being a national provider months ago.

    Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    > In article <i9q1e.5711$H06.4158@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    > jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
    > > Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when?
    No,
    > > they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.
    > >

    > Cares? Apparently not but they "should" be caring--if they fully drop

    > all GAIT options before most of the small carriers have converted
    then
    > they could be pressured to reduce the "official" map coverage which
    they
    > wouldn't want to do. By whom you say--Verizon for one would love to
    rub
    > it in that Cingular wouldn't really have national coverage anymore.
    >
    > Compare the data map to the normal national map and you'll discover
    > those "small" carriers actually cover a huge amount of area - where
    > Cingular has no presence whatsoever. Some of us actually need
    coverage
    > away from the metroplexses and interstates--certainly not "most" but
    > significant number need true nationwide not just "cities over 50k".
    > --
    > Jud
    > Dallas TX USA
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    You listed several carriers as having both CDMA and tdma, USCellular,
    Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa. I find that unusual.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > You listed several carriers as having both CDMA and tdma,
    > USCellular, Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa. I find that unusual.

    US Cellular and Western Wireless migrated their own users to CDMA. I'm
    not sure about USCC, but Western Wireless still operates their TDMA
    network for roamers, in addition to a GSM overlay. So, Western Wireless
    operates AMPS, TDMA, CDMA, and GSM in most of their markets. The only
    thing Western is missing is iDEN.

    TH

Cingular GSM Internet Service Providers