  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 25, 2005 12:36:30 AM

I notice Cingular has two features "GAIT for GSM" and "GAIT calling areas"
What is the difference?

Phil

More about : gait gsm

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:20:36 PM

In article <ypG0e.38151$8D.9361@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
pclewis@sprynet.com says...
> I notice Cingular has two features "GAIT for GSM" and "GAIT calling areas"
> What is the difference?
>
> Phil

I don't know but that may be why a few people have not been able to get
it to work correctly - they may be missing one of the features.

Just as a pure guess from the wording alone, the first might be the main
feature that allows an ESN to be entered & recognized on the account
while the 2nd might cause a GAIT database to be downloaded instead of a
GSM-only one.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
according to CS.

Darn.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:14:23 AM

In article <1111867802.775784.311820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
dmartin@newarts.com says...
> as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
> according to CS.
>
> Darn.

Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

"Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
> In article <1111867802.775784.311820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> dmartin@newarts.com says...
>> as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
>> according to CS.
>>
>> Darn.
>>

> Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
> least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
> convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
> w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
> keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA

You can still provision GAIT access with a GSM plan from a retail store.

I do it all the time.

--
JJ

http://www.cingular.com
http://www.texaspowerhouse.com
http://www.txmma.com
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:55:58 AM

Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when? No,
they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:51:30 PM

>>as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
>>according to CS.
>>
>>Darn.
>
> Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
> least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
> convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
> w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
> keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.

Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
on a GSM only phone.

TH
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 7:33:31 PM

In article <4246D686.2010608@example.net>, user@example.net says...
> >>as of 26 march the GAIT options have disappeared from the system
> >>according to CS.
> >>
> >>Darn.
> >
> > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be at
> > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
> > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
> > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
> > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
>
> Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
> be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
> Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
> on a GSM only phone.
>
> TH

You mean switch my current GAIT plan to a T62U first, then activate
GPRS, then stick the SIM in a new PDA phone? That's an idea I had't
considered.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

In article <i9q1e.5711$H06.4158@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
> Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when? No,
> they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.

Cares? Apparently not but they "should" be caring--if they fully drop
all GAIT options before most of the small carriers have converted then
they could be pressured to reduce the "official" map coverage which they
wouldn't want to do. By whom you say--Verizon for one would love to rub
it in that Cingular wouldn't really have national coverage anymore.

Compare the data map to the normal national map and you'll discover
those "small" carriers actually cover a huge amount of area - where
Cingular has no presence whatsoever. Some of us actually need coverage
away from the metroplexses and interstates--certainly not "most" but a
significant number need true nationwide not just "cities over 50k".
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

In Iowa all cellular providers are all CDMA
here they are all US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, MidWest Wireless,
Western Wireless (Cellular1), Great Lakes of Iowa (Cellular1), Cellular
29 Plus, Lyrix Wireless.
Only 1 provider will do GSM on 1900 MHz PCS that is Western Wireless.
If you need GSM coverage it will have to be from a PCS provider.
No GSM at 850 in Iowa.

T-Mobiles affilate Iowa Wireless has great rural GSM coverage in the
northeast quadrant of the state.
Other than that Freeways and Metros in Iowa are covered by T-Mobile and
Cingular.
TDMA Coverage is in all Cellular markets in Iowa since US Cellular,
Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa use it.

So if you are a Cingular customer and need to do traveling in areas in
Iowa where there is no GSM you need a GAIT phone to pick up the TDMA
signal.

--
agentHibby
March 28, 2005 9:53:05 PM

Jud,
I tried to send a private email but somehouw I didn't translate your email
address correctly.

If you decide to go this route I have a T62u my wife has stopped using.

Remove "nospam" from my address to send a private email.

I'm in Addison.

Bob Walker

> In article <4246D686.2010608@example.net>, user@example.net says...

>> > Nationwide? What idiot is doing the thinking at Cingular? It will be
>> > at
>> > least another year if not two before all the small carriers in Texas
>> > convert to GSM. I was planning on switching from a GAIT plan to a GSM
>> > w/GAIT plan in order to get GPRS/EDGE on a PDA-phone but guess I'll be
>> > keeping my 6340i if they're going to play games.
>>
>> Actually, if you find a Sony Ericsson T62u, which has GPRS, you should
>> be able to use GPRS/EDGE with a PDA phone. I used to use GPRS on my
>> Preferred Nation TDMA plan after I got the SE T62u, and I was using it
>> on a GSM only phone.
>>
>> TH
>>

> You mean switch my current GAIT plan to a T62U first, then activate
> GPRS, then stick the SIM in a new PDA phone? That's an idea I had't
> considered.
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:51:20 AM

agentHibby wrote:
> In Iowa all cellular providers are all CDMA
> here they are all US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, MidWest Wireless,
> Western Wireless (Cellular1), Great Lakes of Iowa (Cellular1), Cellular
> 29 Plus, Lyrix Wireless.
> Only 1 provider will do GSM on 1900 MHz PCS that is Western Wireless.
> If you need GSM coverage it will have to be from a PCS provider.
> No GSM at 850 in Iowa.

A good portion of Western Wireless's GSM coverage is at 850 mHz,
including some areas also covered by 1900.

TH
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:51:21 AM

Tropical Haven Wrote:
> A good portion of Western Wireless's GSM coverage is at 850 mHz,
> including some areas also covered by 1900.
>
> THWhat I understood was most of the GSM network they have T-mobile gave
them 10 MHz licenses to build a GSM network at 1900 so T-mobile and
all other GSM phones could roam. I am told there are a few areas but
not many were WW put GSM on there Cellular network (850) at dealer in
Southern Utah last fall. Is this incorrect?

--
agentHibby
March 30, 2005 3:21:34 PM

Cingular cared about none of these issues when they terminated GAIT in
GA/NC

Cingular stopped being a national provider months ago.

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> In article <i9q1e.5711$H06.4158@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
> > Like cingular cares what some small carriers in texas do and when?
No,
> > they don't. Neither do most of cingular's customers.
> >

> Cares? Apparently not but they "should" be caring--if they fully drop

> all GAIT options before most of the small carriers have converted
then
> they could be pressured to reduce the "official" map coverage which
they
> wouldn't want to do. By whom you say--Verizon for one would love to
rub
> it in that Cingular wouldn't really have national coverage anymore.
>
> Compare the data map to the normal national map and you'll discover
> those "small" carriers actually cover a huge amount of area - where
> Cingular has no presence whatsoever. Some of us actually need
coverage
> away from the metroplexses and interstates--certainly not "most" but
> significant number need true nationwide not just "cities over 50k".
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:08:40 AM

You listed several carriers as having both CDMA and tdma, USCellular,
Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa. I find that unusual.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:35:46 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> You listed several carriers as having both CDMA and tdma,
> USCellular, Western Wireless and Great Lakes of Iowa. I find that unusual.

US Cellular and Western Wireless migrated their own users to CDMA. I'm
not sure about USCC, but Western Wireless still operates their TDMA
network for roamers, in addition to a GSM overlay. So, Western Wireless
operates AMPS, TDMA, CDMA, and GSM in most of their markets. The only
thing Western is missing is iDEN.

TH
!