5870 price

Does anyone besides me think it's hilarious that the 5870s (at least on newegg) apear to have gone up by $20-$30 since the release of the 480. I guess that shows what they think about the 480, and $500 for it. :kaola:
19 answers Last reply
More about 5870 price
  1. I know some people are skeptical about the new GTX's. They run HOT, suck tons of power, and there were fab issues that caused Nvidia to disable some cores. Granted they DO perform VERY VERY well, but these things make people worry. ATI, or probably the card manufacturers might be trying to capitalize on this a little. I'm sure the GTX's will be in short supply and if there are people with money in hand, ATI might try and snatch them up, even with a slightly higher price tag.

I think once the dust settles you will see the ATI cards come back down and everything will be the way it was price wise.

My initial though on the Nvidia cards are they are really cool and do SOOO many cool things. However, when I stop and think about it why would I want a card that does all these things I will never use. Mean while I have heat to contend with if I want to overclock. The power doesn't bother me personally, but for a new system builder it will. Granted we will most likely see improvement in performacen from driver updates from both ATI and Nvidia. I think it's a total mixed bag right now and I could go either way.
  2. One thing to look at is that, IIRC, power and heat are two things that kill electrical components. Not to mention that fan running at 80+% whilst gaming will be very sad.
  3. Really if i had a GTX470/480 I think i'd go liquid.
  4. Why spend the extra $350 for a card? At that rate, just get an HD5970 + 5870 Trifire, which beats 2x GTX480 (least in theory). If you have an SLI only board, then you're bottlenecking the cards unless you have an extremely OC'd Q9650.
  5. microterf said:
    Does anyone besides me think it's hilarious that the 5870s (at least on newegg) apear to have gone up by $20-$30 since the release of the 480. I guess that shows what they think about the 480, and $500 for it. :kaola:

I think it is sad. This is because nVidia is so cocky about the 480 to be seized immediately by enthusiast and "I got it first!" wanna be's that they are confident about setting a high price inspite of only a few % better performance wise than ATI's offering. And why wont ATI raise the price too if they have the room to do it. They only need to keep the 480 a little % more expensive as their increase in performance versus the 5870.
  6. jay2tall said:
    I know some people are skeptical about the new GTX's. They run HOT, suck tons of power, and there were fab issues that caused Nvidia to disable some cores. Granted they DO perform VERY VERY well, but these things make people worry.

And rightly so... it compounds the cost of ownership. The real cost is not just the ridiculously high price tag set by nVidia but also the cost of powering it up and cooling it which translates to a regular electric bill you will receive monthly.
  7. randomkid said:
    And rightly so... it compounds the cost of ownership. The real cost is not just the ridiculously high price tag set by nVidia but also the cost of powering it up and cooling it which translates to a regular electric bill you will receive monthly.

The announced msrp of either new Nvidia card is not ridiculous. I'm not going to argue over what exactly the current ATI prices are but its roughly 300~5850 , 400~5870 . They charge a 25% premium for the best within their lineup. Nvidia is doing 350 and 500. It may be high, but its not zzomg ! high. As far as what the current prices of ATI cards are, I read a member ask Charlie this question over at SA forums. His response is, there is no official msrp anymore. In the beginning they (ati) sold a reference card built to the AIB's. Now they just sell a gpu kit, (basically the gpu ). The aib's choose everything else, which represents different costs for different models. Example MSI's military grade electronics and twin cooler, OBVIOUSLY costs them more to build. The electric bill argument is being overblown, its not on the magnitude of a inefficient A/C or electric home heating. We are talking the amount of power in 2 light bulbs, when gaming at most.
  8. notty22 said:
    We are talking the amount of power in 2 light bulbs, when gaming at most.

I feel bad for your eyes then, mate. 2x250Watt lightbulbs?
  9. Agree with shadow unless he mean't a tanning bed lol
  10. notty22 said:
    Example MSI's military grade electronics and twin cooler, OBVIOUSLY costs them more to build.

So what exactly is military grade?
  11. Things that are designed to last longer, cool better, and withstand more heat.
  12. shadow187 said:

+1
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/graphics-cards/356755/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480
    I quote:
    "But it's the GTX 480's power consumption that most raises eyebrows. Nvidia quotes a TDP of 250W, and with it installed in our test rig the system idled at 204W and peaked at a massive 406W. Compare that to a peak of 267W with the HD 5870 installed and you'll see just how hungry this card is. The GTX 480's core also reached a scorching 98°C, and during games you'll have to put up with a noise like a CD drive permanently whirring into action.

Barbecue by GTX480, anyone?
  13. ATI is just takin advantage of the lack of avaiablity of the GTX400's.
  14. I'm wondering if that's a bold-faced "LOL YOU SUCK NVIDIA, -ATI" by raising the prices directly after release.

Though some cards have dropped, some are still high.
  15. shadow187 said:
    I'm wondering if that's a bold-faced "LOL YOU SUCK NVIDIA, -ATI" by raising the prices directly after release.

Though some cards have dropped, some are still high.

I think it's exactly what it is. I love it!.
  16. Just found this Sapphire ATI Vapor-X HD5870 1GB is on sale, currently there's a good price on centralcomputer.

Link
    centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=73698
  17. shadow187 said:

Hey, the 250w is a lie :lol: Its actually ~300w shown in tests look @ the 480, a 250w TDP card pulling more power than a 300w TDP HD5970 , I find that hilarious really.

But really ATi prices should go Down! Cmon nVidia lets put some price pressure! GTX 480 for 449$ and 470 for 329$? Those 5850 should come back to their MSRP price of 259$!! :fou:
  18. I think a big problem is the cost than Nvidia has per card is a lot higher than ATI, so I don't think they can lower much more.
  19. The only reason to go with a gtx 480 is these two conditions. It has to be liquid cooled and run in sli. If your not doing those two things I see you are wasting your dollar.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Product