Core i7 970 this month, hefty price tag

xartion

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Saw this on several blogs/news aggregators this morning:

"Intel plans to launch several new desktop processors in the third quarter of 2010 to replace some previous models, and will also reduce some CPU prices to boost demand, according to sources from motherboard makers.

In mid-July, will launch three processors including the six-core Core i7-970, priced at US$885; quad-core Core i5-760 with core frequencies of 2.8GHz and priced at US$205; and quad-core Core i5-870S for small form factor PCs and priced at US$351. All prices are in thousand-unit tray quantities."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100701PD209.html

If this information can be believed (and it still seems somewhat unconfirmed) looks like the Wikipedia estimate of $562 for the the i7 970 was off by about $300. What's the point of getting this chip when you can just get the 980X for less than $120 more? :??: :??:

loneninja

Distinguished

Or go with a 12 core opteron for less if you really need some cpu horse power. lol

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
What's the point of getting any of them? Is there something you do that requires 12 threads? Likely not. It would just be a waste of money unless you can actually use 12 threads. 99% of users cannot even use 8 threads so a quad w/hyperthreading is overkill for most.

AMD has been shipping 8 and 12 core Opterons w/quad channel memory for quite some time, Newegg has been selling them for months, if the average consumer could actually use that, they would be selling them to the average consumer. They don't. Yet.

Most consumers benefit more from a faster 2,3 or 4 core processor.

Dude, the average person in the world will drive his car to his office, take his wife & kids to the park, go on a vacation once in a while. For all this, a Ford will suffice.
But that doesn't stop companies like Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Porsche from producing & marketing their super fast cars. These are cramped, gulp a gallon to the mile & cost a bomb. But the fact is that the market does exist for these, & so they are in existence.

Same goes for CPUs. I guess Intel never intended the 980X to be mainstream, nor it seems, the 970. It's for those fraction of people who can dole out the $ for the performance, & most important of all, bragging rights.

Yes, for you & me, a simple quad will do the job. But there are those who will be able to buy the rest. Intel also caters to those.

Personally, I'm in favour of companies rolling out such costly & impractical products. They possess performance which is a benchmark for the rest. Also the technology eventually trickles down to lower end products, benefitting users like you & me.

There's not a whole lot of point to getting this chip if it is only $120 less than a faster, unlocked i7 980X. The i7 970 may or may not launch at that $885 figure, but the price will likely drop to something much closer to that $562 figure after Intel finds that it sells slowly if it does launch at more than about $700. That's still a lot of money, but it would be enough of a difference from the i7 980X to be worthwhile.

jart

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Why not $120.00? Almost always buy 80% of newest tech. "The Point" -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFlACG6qvI.

jart

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Hey you and I received 2 thumbs down. Probably the same shrew. lol.