I5-750 computer for HD video editing for use with Adobe CS3

boxinone

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hi. Thanks already for the advice I've received from reading earlier posts. But I need some specific advice about my setup, and was hoping I could get it here. FYI, I'm in the US and have no preference of where I buy the parts.

I am in the process of putting together a system that can handle HD video editing. These will be short clips of about 10-20 minutes. The footage will be shot on a Sony HDR-FX1 and will be edited with Adobe Premier CS3. I might be able to upgrade to CS4, but I currently only have CS3. I already have some components but need to finish it out. I will be using an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard with an i5-750 2.66Ghz CPU. I currently have 2X2GB DDR3 PC1333 RAM (4GB total). I have a 320GB SATA II 3Gb/s 16MB HD, Apevia 700W PSU, EVGA GTS250 1GB GPU, LG 22X DVD-RW, and running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I also have 2 monitors, Hyundai X224W 22". I currently have an AZZA Solano 1000 case.

Now that you know what I have, I need help on what else I might need. I read on here in another post where specialk90 gave, what I thought, excellent advice on a similar situation although over a yr ago. He recommended using 4 total HDs where the two smaller ones were set up in a RAID 1 and a RAID 0 configuration. RAID 1 being where the OS and apps were and the RAID 0 being where the editing would take place. Something about the media cache needing to be cleaned out every few months so if this RAID 0 died, no biggie anyway. Then the two larger drives being a RAID 1 to store the footage.

I am currently thinking I'd like to set this up so when I power the unit on it asks me which "system" to boot up. The 320GB HD I already have has some games on it and I'd like to use this HD alone as the way I get online and basically "play". But since I will also be using this system for my video editing work, I'd like to separate my "play" from my "work". So I'd like to have the 4 HDs that I get for my video editing to be separated from my "play" HD. Is this possible? It would be great if I could achieve this. Can anyone suggest which HDs would be best for HD video editing with my system. I would like to utilize the 2- SATA 6Gb/s ports on the motherboard.

I have never set up a RAID configuration and would greatly appreciate anyone being able to explain to me how to do this. Especially considering I'll need to set up 3 RAIDs if I follow specialk90's advice. I don't even know how big each RAID should be on the HDs. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Let's see...

Don't worry about special SATA 6Gb/s HDDs. You'll see no improvement over normal SATA 3Gb/s. Even running RAID0 with multiple drives. Mechanical drives just don't have the throughput currently to saturate it.

You can have multiple RAID configurations setup. I'm not sure where you'd need 3 however.

I'm mildly confused as to what exactly you're after. Do you want two separate RAID configs, one being RAID0, the other being RAID1 or are you just going to setup a RAID1+0.

From the sounds of it you're looking for two separate RAIDS. You're buying 4x HDD so the only way to do it would be 2x on RAID0 for your editing, and 2x on RAID1 for your apps/os. That still leaves the 320GB all by itself, which is fine.

As far as configuring them goes. It's alot easier than you'd think. Remove your 320GB, Install the 4x new drives. Enter bios change them from SATA to RAID, save exit. When the pc reboots hit CTRL-I and configure them. It should list all 4, select 2 of them and RAID1, save. Select the other 2 and select RAID0. Save. When you go to install your OS select your RAID1 drive. Easy as pie. Once it's installed make sure you download Matrix Storage Manager so you can adjust your cache settings on the RAID0 drives. Once everything is up and running you can put your 320GB back in.

Here's a decent walkthrough for setting it up, but really, it's easy.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/393/1