Upgrading RAM

G

Hello,

Your help would be so appreciated.
I have inherited a Dell Dimension DIMC521 with AMD processor 3400+ 1.80 GHz, but it only has 446MB of RAM. It is 32 Bit OS and runs Vista Home Basics. Can I upgrade the RAM and if so would you be kind enough to tell me how to do this and what I need. We want to access the internet by adding a netgear adapter currently in the old PC (which seems to have ground to a halt) and to use Office 2007 for home plus small business use. Does this make any sense?

Use cpuz, a free download, to verify that your ram is ddr2 533. If it is, the ram speed will show up as 267 with this free software. Your board can use 2 ddr2 sticks at one or two gb each for a total of 4 gb; to use the pc4200, you'll probably have to find some used sticks, but if pc2 5300 is cheaper, go with that, even though it will run at the slower speed. I recommend crucial (micron), corsair, kingston, or gskill low latency ram. Don't go for a no name brand. Dell can be picky about the ram it uses. If you order from crucial.com and use their configurator software listing your dell model number, it's guaranteed to work. Order from other places, and you may be charged a restocking fee to exchange it.

G

C521 Dell (slim unit)
max settings possible 285-watt power supply.? please verify..
all this info is just FYI in-case you want to keep this unit for some time.
it can be fairly upgraded and make a solid HTPC when all said and done as well as simple office unit.
if wanting to run dual monitors then you will need a dedicated gfx card .

4GB of RAM max - DDR2 800MHz CL5
65-watt processor max - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2.9GHz) ADO5600IAA5DO - better choice
89-watt processor max - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.1GHz) ADV6000IAA5DO

Thanks for this information sorry to be a duuuhh brain but how do I find out the watt power supply? On the base unit by the power outlet there is a red box with 230 is this it? You are dealing with a novice when it comes to hardware.

G

Thanks o1die. I am a novice at this so forgive the questions :wahoo: I have downloaded and run the cpuz software and it shows Type: ddr2, Channels: single, Size: 512 mbytes, (you can tell I am not sure what I am looking for can't you!!). Does this change any of the suggested specification? Huge Thanks.

After you open cpuz, click on "memory". The speed should be listed under "dram frequency". Multiply that reading by two to get your actual speed. Then check your vender for prices on 1 or 2 gb sticks of pc2 5300 (ddr2 667). If the price is too high, check for used stuff on craigslist or ebay. I wouldn't pay more than the equivalent of $25/gb. Your board might also work with pc2 6400 if it's cheaper.