Sign in with
Your question

FSX Computer

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2010 6:04:37 PM

Hello,
I'm going to buy a new computer in a short future, hopefully, and most of the time i play FSX. So i want to customize my new computer for FSX. I'd like to play fsx on ultra high settings with REX + Tileproxy with maybe 30 fps and im wondering if u guys have any suggestion on a good video card + processor that can make than? Im considering the Q9650 3.0 ghz, is it possible to run fsx+tileproxy+rex with about 30 fps with that? Oh one more thing, im limited to approximately 900-1100£.

Grateful for the response!

Sry for bad english!

More about : fsx computer

July 1, 2010 6:14:39 PM

FSX like its predecessor is very CPU bound, more so than FS9. Since you are putting together a new rig I'd suggest at the very least an i5 but recommend a i7(any). A 9800GTX+/4850 1 gig ram will get things rolling just fine. Lastly the best place to get the best out of the sim is at the sim outhouse.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

July 1, 2010 6:30:31 PM

sdf said:
FSX like its predecessor is very CPU bound, more so than FS9. Since you are putting together a new rig I'd suggest at the very least an i5 but recommend a i7(any). A 9800GTX+/4850 1 gig ram will get things rolling just fine. Lastly the best place to get the best out of the sim is at the sim outhouse.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

Ok thanx, so the i7 920 with 2,66 ghz is better than Q9650 with 3,0 ghz?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2010 7:36:32 PM

Quote:
You need an i7 quad at 4ghz or more for the best effect.

ok but how do i overclock ,for example, the i7 930 to 4.0 ghz? is it hard? im a total newbie at overclocking and dont want to do the wrong thing ...
August 10, 2010 2:15:56 AM

I honestly don't believe the Processor or the computer has been invented yet that will be able to run FSX, with acceleration , let alone with the new High Detail VRS Superbug F/18 program.

I upgraded everything on my machine just to get FSX with acceleration to halfway decent framerates I was getting about 20FPS with everything 3/4 of the way up, which I still wasn't happy with but it is still better than 10FPS.

I have a lot of friends that fly FSX and I get different reports from all of them , running all different machines and cores.
Strangely, one of my friends who is running a single core AMD3500+ and 4 gig of ram is getting some of the best framerates out of us all, However he has a lot of unused processes and services shut down.
The proof is in his YouTube videos.
So I really don't believe the amount of cores is as important.
I would say inspect your system , see what is running in the backround that you can shut down and check to see which services are running and shut down whatever you can but be careful not to shut down something important.

Look them up on the internet one by one if you have to , don't just go shutting everything down or else you'll have a problem.
If you have Nortons, get rid of it , it is a resource SLOB !
There is better anyway and for FREE !
Update all your drivers .
it seems to work differently for different folks so I have a feeling it has a lot to do with a lot of configuration work as much as processors and ram.
Naturally the better the video card the more you'll be able to suck out of the system.

Then once you got it all worked out and are happy with your framerates, Purchase Superbug for FSX and be prepared to pull your hair out all over again :) 
I must have put about $1200 USD into this machine and have not noticed as much of a difference as when I shut down the things running that don't need to be.
I really think I could have saved most of that Ching, but ya live and ya talk to people and ya read about what others are doing and them ya learn.
Don't even think about O/Cing unless you know exactly what you're doing or you'll wind up frying that brand new $800 processor :) 
personally I think if you have at least a dual core, you're fine 4 gig or ram is plenty . . a 1 gig video card and do what i said , save your money until that supercomputer comes out .

Best of luck to you and maybe I'll see you in the sky .
I'm HesTNTonPMS on there.
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2010 4:15:31 AM

Quote:
I'd like to play fsx on ultra high settings with REX + Tileproxy with maybe 30 fps and im wondering if u guys have any suggestion on a good video card + processor that can make than?

sdf and zipzoomflyhig actually gave you the best advise.

MS actually designed FSX to use 256 cores! However, we do not have that technology yet, as least not on your budget.

FSX likes Intel CPUs with lots of cores and high clocks and nVida GPUs. A (g92) series GPU will serve you best on your budget.

Yes people make all kinds of claims running FSX. I used a dual core Opteron 2.0Ghz OC'd to 2.8 Ghz with a 850 Pro bios flashed to XT and thought I had it made.

Now I have a Q9550 OC'd to 4.0Ghz with a 250 GTS and all but 2 sliders set to Ultra High. The other 2 are on High. My FPS are ~ 30. Not the best that can be done but not too bad.:D  IMO.

Low settings on the sliders and low resolution = more FPS. Almost no matter what you run.:) 

For some serious eye candy at low altitudes you will need an i7 OC'd to at least 4.0Ghz and one graphic card. The sim does not like dual graphic cards.

Yes you can up your FPS by shutting down back ground programs. But...you are beginning to limit what else you might be able to do with your PC. Its a personal call there.

When you play the sim unplug the internet and turn off AV. Helps more than you might expect.

Last but not least, the more money you spend with knowledge about the needs for FSX the better PC you will have.

Good luck and happy flying!
!