Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Red LED Car Break Lights In my computer case?

Last response: in Components
July 1, 2010 6:27:46 PM

I have a HAF X case and I'm planning to to put these awesome Car Break lights in my Case!

Its almost as if its ment to be! :o 

Here it is.

It even has adhesive strips so it stick on the top of my case!

My question is, Do you think these LEDs will be a normal yellow with just a Red cover on top?
Or are the LEDs themself red? In any case, I got these LEDS for $1 (free shipping) so if the Break Lights turn out to be yellow LEDs I can solder these on.

You think 32 LEDs (5mm each, 5000mcd) can illuminate my case nicely?

Best solution

July 2, 2010 1:23:30 AM

saif1994 said:
I have a HAF X case and I'm planning to to put these awesome Car Break lights in my Case!

Its almost as if its ment to be! :o 

Here it is.

It even has adhesive strips so it stick on the top of my case!

My question is, Do you think these LEDs will be a normal yellow with just a Red cover on top?
Or are the LEDs themself red? In any case, I got these LEDS for $1 (free shipping) so if the Break Lights turn out to be yellow LEDs I can solder these on.

I'd bet they're red. LEDs create more or less monochromatic light, so turning a yellow LED into red light with a lens wouldn't produce much red light. You would need to use more expensive white LEDs (which are simply monochromatic LEDs exciting a phosphor coating to create polychromatic white light) to be able to get red light using a red lens.

Quote:
You think 32 LEDs (5mm each, 5000mcd) can illuminate my case nicely?

5 cd is a relatively bright LED and 32 of them would light up a case pretty well.
July 2, 2010 2:15:58 PM

`Cause he got them for a dollar!

Yep, brake LEDs are red. Have you ever seen the paint peeling from professionally installed LED brake lights?

(Edited to correct too fast typing syndrome.)
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2010 4:00:00 PM

misry said:
Have you ever seen the paint peeling from brakes?

Yes, I have. There are quite a few idiots out there that try to rice up their cars by spray-painting their brake calipers or drums ( :lol:  ) red or some ugly fluorescent color. They nearly always just spray on some cheap non-high-temperature rattle-can spray paint straight over all of the rust and dirt and crap on the brakes, so it flakes off in short order. I'm not surprised when I see it as anybody dumb enough to want to turn their car into a garish ricer is dumb enough to not know how to properly paint metal.
Score
July 2, 2010 11:17:09 PM

Thanks a lot MU_Engineer!

Your reply was very helpful as well as informative.

@ zipzoomflyhigh
The Break lights are 2" thick (including the mounting things) and the HAF X has 3" of space from the top where nothing can be seen from. So onces the lights are in the case, you cant see them. There perfect! :D  And yea, what MISRy said, They were $1 lol.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 7:44:15 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 7:44:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!