Sign in with
Your question

HD 4870 crossfire = not THAT fast ?? help !?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2010 6:37:51 PM

Sorry for bad english..
I've been using dual card for gaming purposes..but after six months using,i felt the performances is NOT as i expected..i had my hopes so high when i saw the all the reviews about this dual configuration card (thats why i bought it at the first place),but all of those BIG FAT fps numbers dont works for me..even for a game like COD 4 MW,i only got 30 fps in 1280x768 (wide) with max settings..do u guys have any idea whats wrong?

I used AMD II X4 Phenom 955, ASUS M4A790T Deluxe, Corsair VS 4GB DDR3 RAM, 2x XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1 GB, 1TB Western Digital HDD, Cooler Master PSU 700 W..my os is Windows XP SP3..i already installed the latest driver and catalyst..my idle card temp is 57'C, my card max temp 71'C..i dont and not planning to overclock any part of my PC..
Thanks for any kind of help..

PS: the reviews i read is not using any overclocking and used all max settings.

More about : 4870 crossfire fast

a c 216 U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 6:42:35 PM

For a more easily identifiable baseline, could you run 3Dmark Vantage or 06? That might help a lot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2010 6:57:40 PM

Yeh, there's definately something wrong. I got 50+ fps in COD4: MW2 maxed out with a single 4870 at 1920x1080.

Although why did you get 2x 4870s if you were only playing at 1280x768?
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2010 2:13:34 AM

Thanks everybody..

@bystander: i've run 3Dmark06 basic..my score is 14694 (is this bad?)..the result page: http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=B16051CD54FCD82151C6E4A8F446CE38

@bluescreedeath: the first time i felt the game is laggy and become slower,so i lowered the res,coz i dont know whats else could be done..my screen is 19",1280x768 is the minimum res which still look good for my eyes..

@branflakes71: i will run passmark tonight..
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 3:35:24 AM

MW has had some issues with crossfire, so that could be a software issue. 14694 for a stock setup isn't too far off what you might expect. You might check to see about patches for that game. I'm pretty sure one of the catalyst drivers mentioned something about fixing the issue. I think it was Cat 9.12, you might want to check differernt drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 4:06:30 AM

Also, post a screenshot of HW-monitor when your CPU is running a benchmark.

That'll determine if there's any over-heating issues or voltage drop issues.
m
l
March 30, 2010 3:51:12 PM

@bystander: my catalyst is 10.2, my driver is 8.702..i think its the newest..

@branflakes71: my Passmark rating is 1129.6..i included the screenshot of the result page-> http://senduit.com/a96813 ..but i dont know how to find the bottleneck is..can u help? thx..

@bluescreendeath: "post a screenshot of HW-monitor"..i dont understand..with what program?when should i screenshot it? thx..
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 4:13:44 PM

Just because it's the newest drivers, does not insure they are the best drivers for any particular game. Drivers have a history of breaking and unfixing things all the time.

I also would suggest again to make sure the game is patched as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 4:15:04 PM

HW Monitor is a software that monitors your voltages, heat, etc

Download HW Monitor (google).
m
l
March 30, 2010 4:36:45 PM

additional info: i only got 30 stupid fps if i let the water detail option "normal" with anything else max (max res,shadow,model detail,sync every frame)..if i turn it to "low" then i get a normal 60 fps..

im so curious..how they(the reviews) can get "three digit number" fps in 1440 with max settings..do the max settings ONLY mean 4x AA and 16x AF? how about the other settings (shadows,model detail,effects,etc)..this review post their screenshot,so i believe it..but do other review is honest? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/734/1/
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 4:44:12 PM

One thing just occured to me. Do you have V-sync enabled by chance? Often times v-sync will force a game to run at 30 fps, or 60 fps with little in between depending on how they impliment it.
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:19:39 PM

@bystander: yes,i absolutely agree with u,i will patch the game..but what about the catalyst version? should i change to the older one? (ver9.12 like u suggest)
YES,i always turn on the V-SYNC option or the SYNC EVERY FRAME option,coz i think it will prevent the game from "screen tearing"..mmm,its a BAD option,eh??

@bluescreendeath: this is HW monitor screenshot,do u see any problem? http://senduit.com/d1fbc0
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 5:25:25 PM

Your temperatures seem to be fine.

I suspect your PSU is bad, but am not absolutely sure.

For some reason, HW-monitor isn't listing the 12v rails for your system.
However, from what it does list, the 3.3v rail is only producing 1.15v, when it's suppose to produce ~3v

If your 3.3v rail is bad, your 12v rail might also be bad. See if you can get HW monitor to show your 12v rails.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 5:46:23 PM

kangtude said:
@bystander: yes,i absolutely agree with u,i will patch the game..but what about the catalyst version? should i change to the older one? (ver9.12 like u suggest)
YES,i always turn on the V-SYNC option or the SYNC EVERY FRAME option,coz i think it will prevent the game from "screen tearing"..mmm,its a BAD option,eh??

@bluescreendeath: this is HW monitor screenshot,do u see any problem? http://senduit.com/d1fbc0

Turning on V-sync prevents you from getting FPS beyond your monitors refresh rate, which is usually 60Hz (or fps).

The truth is, even if your video card is generating 300 fps without v-sync, the monitor will only show 60 FPS if the refresh rate is 60Hz.

If you want to know what FPS you truely are able to get, and what all the benchmarks show, turn off v-sync.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:53:59 PM

bystander said:
Turning on V-sync prevents you from getting FPS beyond your monitors refresh rate, which is usually 60Hz (or fps).

The truth is, even if your video card is generating 300 fps without v-sync, the monitor will only show 60 FPS if the refresh rate is 60Hz.

If you want to know what FPS you truely are able to get, and what all the benchmarks show, turn off v-sync.

Oh man, that is hilarious. That was likely his problem the whole time.
m
l
March 31, 2010 2:54:07 AM

Didn't even occur to me to ask about V-sync. Tell us if that fixes it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 3:18:00 AM

I don't think it's a V-synch issue. V-sync usually limits the frames at a minimum of 60fps. The OP says he was only getting 30fps.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 4:01:43 AM

Sometimes games will lock it at 30 fps, if the game isn't able to run at 60 the whole time. Some games will allow fps in the middle. I wouldn't be suprised if there were other issues, but v-sync will prevent him from getting what he wants to see regardless.

EDIT: reading the artical below, it does explain triple buffing is what allows the possibility of frames between 30 and 60 with Vsync on, otherwise you'll usually end up with 30 or 60 FPS and nothing between.
m
l
March 31, 2010 4:55:43 AM

Guys,i've read a very good guide about v-sync..and im so eager to test the performance with v-sync on and off..i will test it throughly tomorrow (i got a day off) and i will post the result..i hope it fixes the fps problem for good..

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

PS:if u had the time,read all of it..its a very good guide (in my opinion)..
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 7:24:11 AM

kangtude said:
Guys,i've read a very good guide about v-sync..and im so eager to test the performance with v-sync on and off..i will test it throughly tomorrow (i got a day off) and i will post the result..i hope it fixes the fps problem for good..

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

PS:if u had the time,read all of it..its a very good guide (in my opinion)..

This pretty much sums up why I thought of Vsync after you mentioned you'd get 30 FPS, and when you disabled shading, you'd always get 60 fps and no more.
m
l
April 1, 2010 5:24:25 PM

I use FRAPS application..120 second of gameplay when benchmarking..settings menu screenshot is also taken (all included at http://senduit.com/553c50 )
All max settings: highest AA,AF,shadows,texture,model detail,and anything else that i can turn on or set to the highest..
Resolution used is 1440x900(the highest option i can get),60Hz,fullscreen..if changed,i'll noted it..
Without v-sync turn on,screen tearing (ST) occured when moving ur view (left-right,etc) and when firing ur weapon (which induced a cloud of smoke afterwards)..if the game showed this phenomenon,i'll noted it..

1.Assassin Creed
without v-sync : 51 fps
with v-sync : 39 fps
*ST occured but still bearable

2.Batman Arkham Asylum
without v-sync : 61 fps
with v-sync : 60 fps

3.Battlefield Bad Company 2
without v-sync : 55 fps
with v-sync : 54 fps

4.Borderlands
without v-sync : 61 fps
*theres no v-sync option available
*ST dont occured at all (sweet!)
*very stable fps

5.Burnout Paradise
without v-sync : 60 fps
*ST dont occured at all (nice!)
*very stable fps

6.Call of Juarez 2 Bound in Blood
without v-sync : 105 fps
*ST dont occured at all (yeehaw!)

7.Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Hohoho..this one is special..so special,i decided to test 4 scenarios in 2 episodes..
I notice that turning "water detail" to LOW,really boost the fps!
In the settings,i turn off "dual video cards" and set the "number of corpses" to MEDIUM..
So i run test at EPISODE 1 Blackout and Warpig..why?
Coz in Blackout theres many water area in the starting zone..
Coz in Warpig,the starting zone if filled with intense open area fire fights..
-Episode 1 Blackout-
Without v-sync,water detail normal : 62 fps
Without v-sync,water detail low : 142 fps
With v-sync,water detail normal : 43 fps
With v-sync,water detail low : 60 fps
-Episode 1 Warpig-
Without v-sync,water detail normal : 36 fps
Without v-sync,water detail low : 121 fps
With v-sync,water detail normal : 52 fps
With v-sync,water detail low : 60 fps
*ST is really irritating now especially when ur using a rifle that puff a cloud of smoke after shooting..some ST just at the smoke cloud area,other ST affect the whole damn screen..

8.Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 2
without v-sync : 111 fps
*ST is SUPER irritating coz everything in my screen split up when i shot the machine gun on top of the humvee..

9.Dynasty Warriors 6
without v-sync : 57 fps
*ST occured,but still bearable

10.Hellgate London
without v-sync : 51 fps
with v-sync : 40 fps
*even without v-sync,theres no ST
*at the menu screen,the fps meter shows 2300 FPS!! i wish those numbers stay at gameplay..lol

11.Prototype
without v-sync : 43 fps
with v-sync : 46 fps
*yes,with v-sync the fps is higher than without..but the fps rate is very fluctuatif here,yet no ST occured

12.Street Fighter IV
without v-sync : 60 fps
*theres an option to lock the frame rate
*screen tearing occured at win/lose cutscene

13.The Witcher
without v-sync : 56 fps
*ST dont occured at all (yeah!)

14.Titan Quest Immortal Throne
without v-sync : 67 fps
with v-sync : 57 fps
*ST occured,but still bearable

15.Watchmen
without v-sync : 42 fps
*ST dont occured at all (banzai!)
m
l
April 1, 2010 5:30:45 PM

If u want to know the whole story http://senduit.com/553c50
Now my questions is:
1.Are these framerates are "normal" for dual cards like hd 4870?
2.Whats the "dual video cards" option do?
3.The water detail (at COD 4 MW) really sucks the fps down..is it "ok"?
4.Somehow i felt my performance is bottlenecked..but i dont know where..can u help?

Many thanks guys..
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 5:32:56 PM

One thing to keep in mind, if you are getting 60 fps with V-sync on, you are getting the same amount of displayed fps as when v-sycn is off and getting 120 fps.

As a result, don't be afraid to use the v-sync to fix tearing in this situation. It'll also help with your cards temperatures.
m
l
!