Dropped hard drive, still spins, but no data.

Kizran

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My external hard drive was accidentally dropped and now I cannot access my files. The drive still spins when plugged in, the indicator light goes on, Windows recognizes that there is a drive connected, but when I go to My Computer, I only see a Local Disk (F) and not the name of my hard drive, when I open F:, I only get a blank. The files properties for this drive are both 0 bytes for used and free space. Any chance I can still get some, if not all, of my files? I have a few documents there that unfortunately were not backed up.

Kizran

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

I tried EasyRecovery Professional, but the weird thing is, even though Windows recognizes that there is a drive connected (although the drive's blank with 0 bytes), the program only recognizes my PC's main hard drive and F: is nowhere in the list of drives.

if the unit is out warranty you can try and remove the hard drive from the case. you could have broken the controller board inside or pop the data cable on the drive. i had wd ext go bad..the drive still going strong in new case but something died on the old one.

Kizran

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Will the drive require a major repair? And I don't know how much I will be charged for this. Do you guys have a guesstimate? The drive in question is a 1 TB WD MyPassport.

Kizran

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Out of curiosity I hooked up the drive in my Dane-Elec Home Media Player (the model is "So Speaky PVR") and to my surprise it was able read the drive! I was even able to play a video file. So...does it still have a chance?

EDIT: After posting this, I tried to do it again with the media player and now it won't recognize the drive. :( I tried to plug it in back to the PC, and the same problem happens, just Local Drive F.

Just another bit of info. Even though Windows is listing Local Drive F in My Computer, it doesn't show up in Disk Management.

Kizran

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

I checked the site, it's still in warranty. But is it possible to have the warranty transferred locally to the country I'm in? It's because the drive's bought from UAE.