Can anyone recommend a 15.4" laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 4:27:31 AM

Hi Folks,

Anyone has experience with a 15.4" laptop that fits the following criteria:

- clear 15.4" display
- lasting battery
- Not so heavy.
- Good power.

Thanks,

J.

More about : recommend laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 6:14:47 PM

John E wrote:

> Anyone has experience with a 15.4" laptop that fits the following
> criteria:
>
> - clear 15.4" display
> - lasting battery
> - Not so heavy.
> - Good power.

15.4" normally is the size of Widescreen displays (standard displays usually
have 15"). The HP nx7010 is a great widescreen notebook with a very good
display. If You need more gfx performance an alternative would be the Dell
Inspiron 8600, but it's bigger and more heavy than the HP.

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 1:26:42 AM

"John E" <jelghani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> Anyone has experience with a 15.4" laptop that fits the following
criteria:

> - clear 15.4" display
> - lasting battery
> - Not so heavy.
> - Good power.

Be aware that with small format, ultracompacts and TabletPCs that there is
insufficient CPU cooling in the design to ever run the CPU at full speed
continuously even on AC power. Large format laptops do not suffer from this
limirtation.
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 7:41:18 PM

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
> John E wrote:
>
> > Anyone has experience with a 15.4" laptop that fits the following
> > criteria:
> >
> > - clear 15.4" display
> > - lasting battery
> > - Not so heavy.
> > - Good power.
>
> 15.4" normally is the size of Widescreen displays (standard displays
usually
> have 15"). The HP nx7010 is a great widescreen notebook with a very good
> display. If You need more gfx performance an alternative would be the Dell
> Inspiron 8600, but it's bigger and more heavy than the HP.

Note that the HP nx7010 is the same as the Compaq/HP X1000 series, which is
more widely available, and very customizable. The best deal on these is from
costco.com.

I'd opt for the 1.6Mhz CPU, increase the graphics memory to 64MB, and the
system memory to 512MB in one module. This system has a very big battery for
a Pentium M system, since the same base platform is used for the desktop
processor equipped notebooks. So it will run a long time, and the graphics
chip makes up somewhat for the lower processor speed.

What you want to avoid is Pentium M systems that use the chipset graphics as
opposed to Nvidia or ATI graphics. Someone at work told me that her husband
has one with a 1.7 Ghz Pentium M, and it cannot play a DVD without massive
frame drops.

6.5 pounds, for a two spindle system with a 15.4" screen is pretty good
these days. The new Sharp MP70G sets the benchmark for two spindle machines,
but it isn't for sale yet in the U.S., and the screen isn't as large as you
want.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 7:45:43 PM

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> Be aware that with small format, ultracompacts and TabletPCs that there is
> insufficient CPU cooling in the design to ever run the CPU at full speed
> continuously even on AC power. Large format laptops do not suffer from
this
> limirtation.

This is not true. It depends on the CPU. Also, on some designs it's the fact
that they don't want to burn your lap that prevents full speed, not that the
cooling isn't sufficient to get the heat out. Some systems allow hotter
temperatures when the machine is on AC than on battery, assuming that on AC
it will be on a table. All this is user configurable.

My ultra-compact is locked to the highest CPU speed. It affects battery life
only, but not enough for me to worry about.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2004 2:51:21 PM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Note that the HP nx7010 is the same as the Compaq/HP X1000 series,
> which is more widely available, and very customizable. The best deal
> on these is from costco.com.

Can't say anything about that since the x1000 isn't sold in Germany. But
there also is a Pavilion model that is exactly the same like the nx70x0
series, but with worse support and an IMHO really ugly design.

> I'd opt for the 1.6Mhz CPU, increase the graphics memory to 64MB, and
> the system memory to 512MB in one module. This system has a very big
> battery for a Pentium M system, since the same base platform is used
> for the desktop processor equipped notebooks. So it will run a long
> time, and the graphics chip makes up somewhat for the lower processor
> speed.

An 1.6GHz P-M isn't that slow, it's fine even for most games. Going to the
64MB gfx is a good idea. The additional video memory itself doesn't help the
Radeon Mobility 9000 very much but the 64MB versions have an 128bit memory
bus as opposed to the 32MB versions with 64bit.

> What you want to avoid is Pentium M systems that use the chipset
> graphics as opposed to Nvidia or ATI graphics. Someone at work told
> me that her husband has one with a 1.7 Ghz Pentium M, and it cannot
> play a DVD without massive frame drops.

Well, the intel Extreme2 shared memory gfx chipset is more than capable of
playing DVD. The frame drops for sure are not because of the shared memory
gfx but certainly because of a different reason (software and/or driver
issue etc.). The intel Extreme2 performs around equally as a Geforce2MX400.
Not fast by todays standards, but more than enough for everything non-3D,
and even for some older games...

Benjamin
!