Need help with my IP address

natas_heresy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
hi since i only have 1 physical computer at my place, and i want to practice servers, and all networking, i set up VMWARE . virtual machines which has Windows server 2008 and some windows xp virtual machines. i noticed just now that the reason i cant ping anything locally is because it says "media disconnected"

i have wireless broadband set up with a usb cable for my internet connection, and i set up dial up connection wizard.. but the actual "local area connection" icon shows as "network cable unplugged" which is normal since i dont have an Ethernet cable attached, BUT when i go into CMD and use IPCONFIG it shows the local area connection as "media disconnected" . so my problem is i cant even have a local IP address that i can ping from a virtual machine or anything, even if i setup to automatically obtain IP address, it doesnt give me an APIPA, it still just says "media disconnected" i know this is strange because even if no network cables attached, i still shud be able to make a local IP address shouldn't i? cause how else would someone be able to set up virtual machines and communicate with them from the physical machine?

i can ping 127.0.0.1 btw so i dont see why i cant make a local IP address

I would really appreciate some help, because if i cant resolve an issue with my IP address how can i even begin networking.

natas_heresy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

yea i did assign a static ip (192.168.2.10) but it stilll shows as media disconnected. so u need a cable to be able to have a LAN IP?

natas_heresy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

but i would have thought that you could still do something to ping or connect with a virtual machine that THE SAME computer is running, i mean the NIC is still working etc, its able to ping 127.0.0.1. but are you saying the only way to communicate with VIRTUAL MACHINES ON MY COMPUTER is to creat a local loop cable? will it trick the computer into thinkin that its connected to another pc or something>?

mitchflossin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

By pinging the loopback address, you're testing to see if the TCP/IP stack is working properly.

natas_heresy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
so lets conclude my question.
so can you not have a static IP address when there is no cable connected to the NIC? willl it just show as media disconnected? do i need to connect it to an insignificant other network device in order to have an IP that i want to use for VIrtual machines?