Installing Core i3 Processor

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm building a new desktop machine and it is time to install my Core i3. The motherboard onto which it is being installed is an EVGA P55 LE. I will assume you know what modern CPU clamps look like, and I'll assume they're pretty much universal these days since the CPU instruction booklet showcases a picture of it.

I know how to install the processor and I am following the directions from both the processor's instruction booklet and that of the MoBo. However, when I attempt to lock the processor clamp into place with the arm, it offers significant resistance, and I am afraid I will break something if I push it down.

My question is, is the extreme resistance this is giving me normal, and will everything be okay if I lock the arm into place, or is there something wrong with one of the components?

Thanks. I hope to get some responses today, since I want to get this thing up and running tonight for testing.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Check this out http://www.evga.com/articles/00502/le/ scrol down there is a vid. As for how hard that is something different for everyone! i would hate to tell you to go for it!!!! i would think about a pound of force or so hope this helps

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Perhaps I did not see the video you were talking about; the only one I found did not really help me.

Anyway, I went ahead and clamped the CPU down, and there were no problems. This is my first experience with such a clamp--my previous machine was a socket 775 and the proc just sat in there, and the HSF effectively clamped it down--in short, I simply was not expecting the amount of force I needed to apply to the clamp, and therefore was afraid to damage the proc.

Thanks for your help. Perhaps you can help me with the new problem I have with my now-finished machine:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289219-31-computer-shuts-boot-starts-back-fine

I'd appreciate it greatly.

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm looking at my old board right now, and I guess it kinda has a clamp. It's got nothing that sits over the CPU, just an arm attached to the socket that tightens the CPU a bit when engaged. But it was always super-easy to engage, hardly any resistance.

So yes, this sort of thing was entirely new to me.