Eyefinity output quesetion

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
So I'm getting ready to build a new gaming computer and I'm almost sure I'm getting a 5970 and I would love to try 3x1 eyefinity setup. So I've got two questions. I know that you would use each output on the card for each monitor. But what if your monitor doesn't have Display Port and only has HDMI or DVI. Dose converting them one way or the other still work with the eyefinity stuff?

Also what monitor would you suggest getting. I need something that doesn't have a huge bezel and has low response time. I'm currently looking at what samsung has in the 20-27inch range but they are somewhat pricey. There are a number of brands I've seen on newegg that I've never seen before. (It's been about 4 years since I last bought a monitor) I also don't need speaker, it just needs to look good.

Solution
Yes, you can convert a DVI signal to Display Port, but you need an "active" adapter which information can be found here. The active adapters can be found for about $100 USD. The active adapter is needed for three or more monitors. A passive adapter could be used if you were only using two monitors. Make sure if you get another adapter not by that brand (which there really isn't besides that one) it is active. You also need an extra USB slot for the active adapter because it requires one. You would need three DVI cables to each of your monitors (and then hook it into the graphics card) and then hook one of the DVI cables into the Display Port adapter and next hook the adapter into your graphics card.

I am in the market for a...

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Yes, you can convert a DVI signal to Display Port, but you need an "active" adapter which information can be found here. The active adapters can be found for about $100 USD. The active adapter is needed for three or more monitors. A passive adapter could be used if you were only using two monitors. Make sure if you get another adapter not by that brand (which there really isn't besides that one) it is active. You also need an extra USB slot for the active adapter because it requires one. You would need three DVI cables to each of your monitors (and then hook it into the graphics card) and then hook one of the DVI cables into the Display Port adapter and next hook the adapter into your graphics card.

I am in the market for a new monitor too that I want to use in an eyefinity setup. I am looking at either this LG W2486L (there is also a 22" version of that monitor) or a Samsung XL2370. Both of these monitors are basically the same. It looks like the Samsung could have a slightly bigger bezel than the LG. The LG bezel looks to be about an inch. If to want to ask my recommendation I would go with the LG because it looks cooler, but it looks like the Samsung could have better color, but I am not sure on that one. Both of these monitors are $300 USD. So if you want to drop $1000 on eyefinity those are really good monitors. What is your price range? How big do you want each monitor?

Solution

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Ok so at least right now I'm blowing all my money on the system with one monitor. I'm hoping to be able to buy the other two monitors in about 6 months, maybe less, so my budget is kinda a moot point. If I can swing it I may just buy them right away if the price is right but that is a BIG if. I would looking for something in the middle of the road as far as size goes. Maybe something 22" to 27" I would like to stay under $250 per monitor.

So let me get this straight. If i was to use a 5970 I would either have to have a monitor that had a Display Port on it or get a active converter to go from DP to DVI?

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Well for $250 you can get the Samsung P2370 (23") which can be had for about $225 with free shipping in the US and can be found here. It has 50,000:1 contrast ratio, 2ms response time and 1080p. Just remember that the cheaper you go in monitors the lesser quality manufacturing and materials you get, though the P2370 is not a bad monitor at all.

You would have to get a Display port monitor or get the adapter. I have only seen 30" monitors that have Display Port on them. I have not seen any 22-27" monitor that has Display Port. So yes you will probably have to get the active adapter for DP to DVI that I listed above. You only need to get that if you are going with three monitors, right now when you are only buying one monitor you don't need that. So in six months the adapter might come down in price, but I don't know for sure.