Sign in with
Your question

Laptop not turning on correctly

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2010 11:54:27 PM

Not sure if this really belongs in CPU and Components because it could be the motherboard.

When I turn on my laptop (Dell Inspirion XPS Gen 2) the power switch will turn on and I can hear a fan turn on as well, however the LED lights on the sides and the monitor itself do nothing at all. If I leave it on in this state after 10~ minutes I can turn it off and then turn it back on quickly and it will then usually turn on and act normal. However I have noticed if I do anything that requires more cpu power than talking on aim or surfing the web the laptop will become very hot on the right side and the fan on the left side will turn on full blast as if a fan on the right side isnt doing its share of the work.

My laptop knowledge is near nothing, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction to what needs to be replaced or corrected.

Thanks for any input.
July 2, 2010 8:08:00 PM

Are there ports on both sides of computer with fans?
I believe you can actally see the fans spinning. If the right side is hot take a look, is there a fan?
it should be spinning!
i
m
l
July 3, 2010 12:49:09 AM

Finally got it to turn on fully and sure enough the right side fan isnt turning at all, the left side seems to be working fine.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2010 1:13:28 PM

I've seen many Dell's with fans that were about to fail.
Go to Dell website with your service tag handy.
You should be able to find a replacement fan and review the installation instructions.
These should be easy tro replace.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
July 3, 2010 1:31:17 PM

You could try blowing any dust out of the fan or poking it round with a screwdriver (this worked on my Dell).
m
l
!