Max hard drive size for p4m 865 motherboard

stteng

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
What is the maximum hard drive size for FIC's [P4M 865] motherboard. It is a Pentium 4 running Win XP Pro.

I think that 320GB and 500GB are TOO big but NOT 250GB. My BIOS is [Phoenix/Award v6.00G]. How do I flash the BIOS to make the motherboard handle larger sizes? Are there any workarounds? Is FIC still around?

Please feel free to ask me any necessary questions.

Thanks in advance
stteng (s.t.teng@sbcglobal.net)

mavroxur

Distinguished
That motherboard shouldn't have any problem with a 500gb drive. Go to FIC's website (http://www.fic.com.tw) and check for an updated bios in the support section. But with an ICH5/865 chipset and the 6.00 BIOS, you shouldn't have any problems up to 1tb.

stteng

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Thanks for your reply, mavroxur. I am just confused. To be fair, I had A LOT of Blue Screens Of Death (BSODs) with my old hard drive and didn't even try to fix them. Am I right in thinking that BSODs won't affect the hardware?

I used a Western Digital IDE 500GB virgin hard drive (NEVER had been used!) with [Tek-Micros] Win XP Pro Refurbished PC's CDs. I never came across this problem before where the FIC splash screen is stuck on the PC and the POST doesn't even run.

What is going on? I checked the FIC web site and couldn't find ANY BIOS updates. I wouldn't even know how to do it and don't want the power to go out while I am flashing my BIOS making my PC a 'brick'.

Thanks
stteng

stteng

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I am confused. My P4M-865 motherboard uses IDE hard drives. IDE hard drives max out at 500GB unlike SATA hard drives which can be 1TB. My motherboard therefore can't handle the 1TB hard drives. Am I right?

Thanks
stteng