Sign in with
Your question

S.M.A.R.T. Message for bad storage drive--Please help

Last response: in Storage
June 2, 2012 8:13:06 PM

I haven't seen this exact problem asked here, and I did search, so I am that's why I am asking.

So I have gotten the dreaded "Slave Hard disk: SMART status BAD, backup and replace" message when I power up my desktop. Here's the thing, this is by storage drive, my D: drive. It is not running my OS(I haven't seen people ask about a drive not running their OS). But it has all of my family photos on it. I NEED those files. I don't give a crap about anything else on the drive, but I want my photos. So I need to get into this drive.

So when I power up, I get the S.M.A.R.T. message that my drive is bad, then I press F1. It goes to the Windows loading screen, loads for a minute, then stops without booting to Windows itself. The drives cycle when I power up, but once it gets to that spot, they pretty much stop. I tried going into Safe Mode, same thing, I can't onto my desktop.

I am fine with the drive dying, it is about 8 years old anyway, but I need those files. Please help me out.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 2:47:28 AM

Load into Safe Mode and see if you can boot into your desktop and retrieve your important files.
m
l
June 3, 2012 4:15:54 AM

fantastik250 said:
Load into Safe Mode and see if you can boot into your desktop and retrieve your important files.

In Windows(regular or safe mode) it is now telling me it is a local drive that needs to be formatted, but if I boot with Ubuntu it shows me the drive and files but then stops cycling so I can't transfer or move any of them.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 5:34:57 AM

Is there a function in Ubuntu for the drive not to go into idle mode? Such as high performance or keep hard drive always on? I'd suggest once you see the drive try pulling files out of the drive into the desktop as fast a possible before it stops.
m
l
June 3, 2012 5:54:30 AM

fantastik250 said:
Is there a function in Ubuntu for the drive not to go into idle mode? Such as high performance or keep hard drive always on? I'd suggest once you see the drive try pulling files out of the drive into the desktop as fast a possible before it stops.

I don't know if there is such an option. Someone just suggested Ubuntu to me today, so I am new to it. I try to pull the files as soon as the drive folder opens, but right after that it stops.

I just spoke to a friend who works IT desk and he said that if I buy an external enclosure and connect it via USB I might be able to use it long enough to transfer the files off of it. Was he babbling in his sleep or is this a possibility?
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 5:58:24 AM

That's also a possiblity. There is a possible risk of the drive wanting to format, it may happen in windows, but not too sure in Ubuntu.
m
l
!