Hammy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can anybody tell what the file vssdrv.exe does. I find it in my running
processes. I try to end the process but it wont end
The file is located in the Windows XP Pro Prefetch folder. It seems to be
running something and using up my CPU to
excess to where my computer is at a Crawl.

Thanks in Advance Hammy

Hammy wrote:
> Can anybody tell what the file vssdrv.exe does. I find it in my
> running processes. I try to end the process but it wont end
> The file is located in the Windows XP Pro Prefetch folder. It seems
> to be running something and using up my CPU to
> excess to where my computer is at a Crawl.
>
> Thanks in Advance Hammy

There should not be any .exe files in the prefetch folder. Have you run a
complete virus scan on the system?

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:58:52 -0600, Hammy wrote:

> Can anybody tell what the file vssdrv.exe does. I find it in my running
> processes. I try to end the process but it wont end
> The file is located in the Windows XP Pro Prefetch folder. It seems to be
> running something and using up my CPU to
> excess to where my computer is at a Crawl.
>
> Thanks in Advance Hammy

Are you sure that's an .EXE file in Prefetch? It's not unusual to see .EXE
as part of the file name in this folder but there should also be a .PF
extension tagged on at the end. Examples:
program.exe.PF or
program.exe-<071F52.>.PF

--
Sharon F