Sign in with
Your question

ASRock x58 Extreme sent in for warranty, now I'm told pins are bent!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2011 7:56:30 PM

Two things first:
1) Am I posting in the right forum :??:  ?
2) Pic's and email from ASRock attached below.

Ok, so I had this issue from day 0 with my ASRock x58 Extreme (It's my second one from them; the first one had some other issue, I can't even remember what) which is that memory channel 2 didn't work. Evereything else worked beautifully: no error's during stress testing, no memtest erors, no hangs, decent overclocking (it's 40ºC outside!), etc.
Of course I looked and looked for the source of the problem: memory modules, memory slots, etc and I even checked for bent CPU pin's, and I didn't see a single one!. It would be understandable if they claimed a single one is bent, but the pic's of my MB they sent me have at least a doezen! I think this is impossible: I would have noticed them one of the numerous times I took the thing apart (and inspected the socket and CPU), and if that many pins are broken, something else would of had to have failed, I think? This is one of the principle answers I'm looking for, could the system have worked as well as I described previously, taking into account the photos below?
So I decided to send it in for an RMA, and contacted them. I could barely understand what they said over the phone (they have a very bad connection and even worse accent). I got them to agree to pay for shipping, and they sent me the supposed link to print my fedex label in a document that -believe it or not- had no extension. I added .html and was able to open it, but the formatting was all wrong, and it took about 1m to make out one line of text -there where about two pages of it to go thru. When I finally had time to sit down for an hour and read thru that, I found out I had to go to a website, enter some info, and only then could I print the label. Problem was it had expired 2 days ago (they gave me about 3 to print it). So I had to call again, bla bla bla, long story short I got it sent, with the socket cap on and all. They in theory took care of shipping and packaging, so I don't see how I can be responsible if anything happened to it on it's way there.
So now they have my MB, and want me to send them $35 to repair it because they don't cover physical damage. I seriously believe (as in I'm 99.9% sure) that I didn't send them the MB in that state, but I seriously doubt they'll care.
What do you guy's think? Is it possible that my MB really was in that state? What can I do, I mean, has anyone ever been in my position before and have some advice to give?

ASRock email:
Hi $%^ %^&,

We received your package yesterday. However, our RMA person found out your motherboard has very serious CPU BENT PINS and the memory slot is not a problem. Please find the attached pics regarding the defective part. CPU BENT PINS belong to physical damage and it’s not cover under our one year warranty. Physical damage product, we will charge $35 service fee if you like to get a replacement. Please send your check and Money order payable to “ASRock America Inc” to following address. We will ship the replacement at the same day once we receive your payment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Please send the payment to:
ASRock America
13848 Magnolia Ave.
Chino, CA 91710
Attn: RMA Dept.

Pictures coming soon... with my conection they'll take another 5' to download :na: 
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
January 5, 2011 8:51:36 PM

Did you use the plastic cpu pin cover that originally came with the board? Did you take a photo of the board before sending it in? You need to do both next time. I can understand your frustration, and you can take your business elsewhere when you purchase your next board.
January 5, 2011 11:28:58 PM

o1die said:
Did you use the plastic cpu pin cover that originally came with the board? Did you take a photo of the board before sending it in? You need to do both next time. I can understand your frustration, and you can take your business elsewhere when you purchase your next board.

Yeah, I did put the cap on, I didn't however take pics: lesson learned. Next time I'm going Gigabyte or Asus.
Read the update I'm about to post below thou... it ended up working up fine.
Related resources
January 5, 2011 11:36:45 PM

Ok, so I phoned ASRock again (I had called out of office hours this morning) and after a quick discussion with CS I got passed onto tech support, who quickly said they'd send me a new MB "fully tested" without any payment. I was like wait wait wait ---so you'r going to send me a new MB at no cost? It seemed all too easy!
I still am not all too happy with ASRock, but I do like the guy at tech support ;) 
Thank's for your input anyways.

P.S.: I ended up not even uploading the pics, I went out while they where uploading, and came back to an error. If anyone is curious, just ask and I'll post them.
January 7, 2011 11:20:37 PM

Apperently, when the "tech support" guy responded "yeah" to the question: "So you'll be sending me a new MB at no cost?" He ment "No".
So a little while ago I got an email saying: "When are you going to cash up?" I called them and was like, NO WAY. So after a while on hold, and a very heated discussion, I convinced them to send me the replacement. They said it would be my last. Like I care... if I have a problem again it's time to just get a new board... I don't want one that's that unreliable anyways.
December 27, 2011 6:57:03 PM

adriangb said:
Yeah, I did put the cap on, I didn't however take pics: lesson learned. Next time I'm going Gigabyte or Asus.
Read the update I'm about to post below thou... it ended up working up fine.

I have an asus p8z68-v pro and they told me the same thing bent/broken pins are not covered. the pin just snapped while inserting the cpu. he asked if I inserted the cpu the wrong way and asked was I sure I did not break it. He then went onto say how asus put 100% attention to the cpu socket and was sure it was not their fault. I spoke to 2 people and both said the same thing. I argued with the 2nd person for 30 minutes. I never yelled and I was never belligerent. I have had good luck with asus and asrock up to this point. at least if I would have purchased the asrock I would have saved 50-100 dollars in the original purchase price.
!