BIOS Flash, BoardID changed. Card unusable? Please help!!

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hey all,

Old graphics card evga 9500GT 1GB and my friend flashed it with xfx 9500GT BIOS because he said it wasn't working after he flashed a 5970 while the 9500GT was in. 9500GT no longer appeared in GPU-Z, so he flashed them with XFX BIOS for a 256mb version of a 9500GT. When running the program, it said that it was going to change the BoardID if you pressed y. Friend pressed y, now card is unusable.

When booted, the screen will just flash random colors and bug out. Surely there is a way to reset the BIOS? Maybe EVGA has the original BIOS for the 9500GT 1GB, and that would also change the BoardID back and all will be well? :??:

Thank you.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
why does every new person on this site want to flash everything they can get their hands on?

NEVER flash unless:
1 you NEED a new feature that is not in your current bios/firmware
2. you have the EXACT file you need
3. you are doing it from a bootable media NOT IN WINDOWS
4. you aren't going to click yes when you don't understand the question
BAD FLASHES MAKE BRICKS

try flashing it back to the original firmware (bios is for you mb, most other hardware runs on firmware) though you've most likely made yourself a new paperweight

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hahaha. I figured as much, hoping EVGA will get back to me with a BIOS to try but after hearing that my FRIEND (not I, just so we all know!) changed the BoardID it seems like it might be broke now.

It ran before, at low res saying 0mhz/0mhz in GPU-Z for the card, guessing it wasn't recognized that's why that happened. That's when the kid flashed it. Too bad, that was my PPU...

The firmware (BIOS) was being changed because the 5970 was showing the wrong clock speeds, after updating the BIOS the correct clock speeds are displayed, and the fan control is restored. So that was my reason, my friend did not know however that there was a 9500GT in the rig. He should have taken out the 9500GT before flashing the 5970 BIOS.