rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I have a choice between a 500 GB hard drive or 120 GB SSD.

atm, my current computer is only using 127 GB. If I were to get rid of all the garbage it has, I could free up maybe half of it. (I have had this comp for around 4 years, and this is the most I have used ever!)

I would stay with an SSD forever though, I would eventually get a real HD to store more data on.

What do you think?

Solution
You can go with the SSD now, just try not to overfill it.

When many SSDs get full, they no longer have room to clean them selves as well. SSDs take a performance hit when they try to find/make empty blocks in real time. TRIM helps. but even the best SSDs perform better when not overly full.

Adding the hard drive in the future will allow you to map it to all your files(Desktop/Docs/Pics/Vids). It is easy to just add a new folder to a library in windows or even move the folder it self from its properties. Please note that some games do not work with special folders moved without some tweaks(Unreal 3 based games for the most part will not save your game unless you add the -nohome command to the shortcut).

I an playing with windows 8 on...

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
If I go HD now, I won't go SSD. As I can get a pretty good deal on a HD if I were to get one later.

I think I will get SSD now, and down the road get the HD. I would follow your suggestion on HD first then SSD, but my situation is in favor of SSD first.

You can go with the SSD now, just try not to overfill it.

When many SSDs get full, they no longer have room to clean them selves as well. SSDs take a performance hit when they try to find/make empty blocks in real time. TRIM helps. but even the best SSDs perform better when not overly full.

Adding the hard drive in the future will allow you to map it to all your files(Desktop/Docs/Pics/Vids). It is easy to just add a new folder to a library in windows or even move the folder it self from its properties. Please note that some games do not work with special folders moved without some tweaks(Unreal 3 based games for the most part will not save your game unless you add the -nohome command to the shortcut).

I an playing with windows 8 on a 64 gig SSD. ohh how fast it fills(and linking back to my HDD install of 7 for games now because they are linked to another SSD anyway and I am trying to not have multiple copies of things.).

If you are adventurous you can use a program like Junction Link Magic to make windows see folders on a SSD as folders on a hard drive. Very useful for SSD + HDD if you ask me. This is how my Steam games are on a SSD and steam still thinks they are on my hard drive.

Be warned, messing with junctions can break the computer. Please use with care and PM me if you have questions(better save then sorry).
http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Solution

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks rolli59 and nukemaster!

I really do not take up much space at all. 4 years only only 127 GB's. I usually monitor my space pretty good, but with an SSD I may need to do some extra work. I am betting on only using maybe 50% - 75% of the SSD before I get the HD.

Thanks again!