Sign in with
Your question

Hooking up the power and reset switch???

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2011 8:34:49 PM

I just bought a new case and i can't seem to find where to plug in the 2 pin power/reset switch into on my mobo, can anyone help please ? i have a stock HP Pavilion a6650f pc its an asus mobo. I replaced the power supply and the video card and it was working fine in the stock case. do i have to get a new mobo?
January 5, 2011 9:49:38 PM

I looked at the HP site and found nothing detailed enough to show that. Next step would be to look for the Asus model number and google that.

Can you trace the wires form the switch in the HP case to the mobo?
m
l
January 5, 2011 10:43:33 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
is this your motherboard the pins usually go on the same row upper or lower not 1 pin upper and 1 pin lower you won't hurt anything if you plug it in backwards and the pins from the case usually have writing the writing side always faces up and it should be a group of pins on the bottom of the mobo should say power Ps.
speaker. hd. re reset get amagnifiying glass check pins on lower right side or bottom off motherboard
ps if thats your mobo you can download possibly newer drivers there too
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2011 10:50:54 PM

HankB99 said:
I looked at the HP site and found nothing detailed enough to show that. Next step would be to look for the Asus model number and google that.

Can you trace the wires form the switch in the HP case to the mobo?

Yeah, its a 8 pin connector. I tried wiring up the 2 pins to where the 8 pin went, but that doesn't seem to be working.
m
l
January 5, 2011 10:57:09 PM

marco324 said:
is this your motherboard the pins usually go on the same row upper or lower not 1 pin upper and 1 pin lower you won't hurt anything if you plug it in backwards and the pins from the case usually have writing the writing side always faces up and it should be a group of pins on the bottom of the mobo should say power Ps.
speaker. hd. re reset get amagnifiying glass check pins on lower right side or bottom off motherboard
ps if thats your mobo you can download possibly newer drivers there too

the motheboard i have is yellow, and i tried plugging them in doing what you said, both ways and it still wouldn't work :/  ill try and post some pictures if thats any help
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 11:01:31 PM

We need to know your motherboard make & model to provide this information. Also, a picture of the connectors would help. Some OEM cases use unique connectors, so it would be good to clarify.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:06:51 PM

Napa-GL8E or just asus GL8E.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:11:17 PM

tecmo34 said:
We need to know your motherboard make & model to provide this information. Also, a picture of the connectors would help. Some OEM cases use unique connectors, so it would be good to clarify.

Yeah i meant to, sorry. But the model and pic is up now.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:17:24 PM

It is also a Raidmax Quantum case if that helps
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:17:28 PM

whats that group of pins under the bottom pci slot in the middle
did you get the power switch working hard drive light switch working?
or the lower right corner ? hard to see with just those pictures
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:34:35 PM

marco324 said:
whats that group of pins under the bottom pci slot in the middle
did you get the power switch working hard drive light switch working?
or the lower right corner ? hard to see with just those pictures

I found the markings where the pins go. Lower right hand corner. I plugged them all in with the letters facing toward the markings(right underneath the group of pins.

And the pins under the pci slot are usb 1/2
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:35:08 PM

what are those four small pins on the bottom left side up just a little from those
group of six that look simalar could be 2 for power 2 for reset?
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:36:12 PM

oh good you got it working then great
m
l
a c 103 Ĉ ASUS
a c 221 V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 11:43:41 PM

Most Asus MoBos, at least ones I have used label the pin headers. If ya can't find your specific model, you can also try looking for something close as vendors try and minimize parts inventories and will use the same pin arrangement on mutiple models.

I looked at the P755D for example

Page 2-39 shows a picture of the thing an it shows the two pins for the reset to be the two furthest to the right in the bottom row (in bold text)

oooooooooo
oooooooooo

Going from left to right, bottom row, on this mobo they are:

Pins 1 & 2 = HD LED
Pins 3 - 5 = nuthin
pins 6 & 7 = power switch
Pin 8 = nuthin
Pins 9 & 10 = reset switch
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:43:55 PM

marco324 said:
oh good you got it working then great

no unfortunately. Is it possible that i maybe fryed my mobo or cpu while moving to another case ?
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:56:14 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Most Asus MoBos, at least ones I have used label the pin headers. If ya can't find your specific model, you can also try looking for something close as vendors try and minimize parts inventories and will use the same pin arrangement on mutiple models.

I looked at the P755D for example

Page 2-39 shows a picture of the thing an it shows the two pins for the reset to be the two furthest to the right in the bottom row (in bold text)

oooooooooo
oooooooooo

Going from left to right, bottom row, on this mobo they are:

Pins 1 & 2 = HD LED
Pins 3 - 5 = nuthin
pins 6 & 7 = power switch
Pin 8 = nuthin
Pins 9 & 10 = reset switch

I have it exactly as you decribe, still nothing...i tried plugging the connectors in the opposite way (words on the connector facing away from the markings on the mobo) and still nothing.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:57:24 PM

Im just thinking about going to best buy tomorrow and see if their Geek Squad can do anything, this is getting really annoying.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:57:51 PM

thats unlikely some thing could have come loose do you have your old case
is the cpu and heatsiink seated snug cpu fan plugged in good connections to your hard drive maybe you screwed the motherboard down to tight or is grounding on something maybe try loosening the motherboard standoffs screws just a little
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:04:42 AM

is your memory seated snug anyone of those things could stop it from starting
"do your fans power on" if not then your not getting power the power switch is not on right
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:09:55 AM

marco324 said:
is your memory seated snug anyone of those things could stop it from starting
"do your fans power on" if not then your not getting power the power switch is not on right

Absolutely nothing is coming on. I have 5 fans connected directed to the psu. And im pretty positive everything is snug, i loosened some of the screws, made sure all connectors were in, made sure power to the psu was in all the way, tryed the switch both ways. Still nothing. When i had it in the case before, nothing would turn on unless the motherboard was on. The psu didnt even have its fan spinning or the blue led. I can take a picture of it if thats any help.
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:21:48 AM

try the power switch in different positions don't need the reset or speaker or hard drive light activity on yet ?
maybe it is up and down shut power supply off when doing this and back on after the wire is connected
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:32:32 AM

not sure never had a bad cpu before but i would think if it was the cpu you would
get some fan activity
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:45:11 AM

marco324 said:
try the power switch in different positions don't need the reset or speaker or hard drive light activity on yet ?

Nope, no lights, no sounds.
Here are some photos..

Build

The connectors

-orange(power)
-Green(power led)
-red(hdd led)
-blue(reset)
-All connector markings are looking south
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 1:11:18 AM

Switch your "Green" and "Orange" wire locations. Power should be cross from reset.
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:17:32 AM

on a regular motherboard the writing on the end of the wires from the case should be facing up on all connections top row and bottom could be the case markings are wrong though i read somewhere befor someone said that happend to them
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:22:27 AM

marco324 said:
on a regular motherboard the writing on the end of the wires from the case should be facing up on all connections top row and bottom could be the case markings are wrong though i read somewhere befor someone said that happend to them

Which way is up ? Facing away from the end of the mobo? That's how I have it
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:28:05 AM

tecmo34 said:
Switch your "Green" and "Orange" wire locations. Power should be cross from reset.

Yes! Thank you sooo much.
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:32:58 AM

tecmo34 said:
Look at page 1-14 of this manual. It is how it should be hooked up (similar model)

http://static.compusa.com/pdf/e4438_m2n68-am%20se2_cont...

Now I have everything hooked up, everything appears to be working, but it auto shuts off in like 30 seconds and nothing is going to the monitor
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 1:38:15 AM

At what point does it shut off?? After going through the BIOS or before finishing the BIOS process??
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:43:53 AM

tecmo34 said:
At what point does it shut off?? After going through the BIOS or before finishing the BIOS process??

Nothing is going to the monitor so I can't tell, it turns on, all fans spinning, all leds turn on, but after like 30 seconds it beeps then shuts off.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 1:47:10 AM

Can you provide a full system spec (make&model)... CPU, RAM, PSU, Hard Drive & GPU (we got the motherboard :)  )
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 1:52:10 AM

1) Do you have the monitor plugged into the GPU or motherboard?? Once a GPU is installed, you connect the monitor to it or else it won't boot from the on-board.

2) Does your GPU require a power cable to be installed/connected & does it?
m
l
January 6, 2011 1:57:50 AM

tecmo34 said:
Can you provide a full system spec (make&model)... CPU, RAM, PSU, Hard Drive & GPU (we got the motherboard :)  )

Cpu - Amd phenom x4 9550
Ram - 6 gb stock hp
Psu - rosewill Rbr1000-m
Hard drive - 500gb seagate
Gpu - sapphire Radeon hd 6850
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:00:35 AM

tecmo34 said:
1) Do you have the monitor plugged into the GPU or motherboard?? Once a GPU is installed, you connect the monitor to it or else it won't boot from the on-board.

2) Does your GPU require a power cable to be installed/connected & does it?

The monitor is plugged into the gpu, I'm not that stupid.. and yes it is plugged directed into the psu.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 2:00:52 AM

marco324 said:
looks like your cpu fan should be plugged in over the memory some older motherboards won't start unless a fan is plugged in to it worth a try

You are correct... It is hard to tell from the pics if the OP has the fan connected in the right spot or not. It is worth a try!!
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 6, 2011 2:04:39 AM

iMarino said:
The monitor is plugged into the gpu, I'm not that stupid.. and yes it is plugged directed into the psu.

Was not trying to imply you were :) 

You helpout in forums long enough you see the little stuff get missed, so you have to ask. I helped one guy with a "boot" issue and it came down to he didn't install a heat sink since his case had a lot of fans and thought he be fine.
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:05:14 AM

i can't find the specific manuel for your mobo but this is the same chipset from asus and am2 on page 15 of the manual you can see the pin setup on this one it's on the bottom row pin 6 and 7 from the left to right
- - - - - "- -"
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2NPV-VM/...
thanks tecmo34
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:16:43 AM

tecmo34 said:
You are correct... It is hard to tell from the pics if the OP has the fan connected in the right spot or not. It is worth a try!!

The wire doesn't seem to reach, the cpu and fan were never disconnected from when I moved into the new case so I know its not that..it has a red 3 pin connector and its in the red 3 pin slot where its been since day 1. Maybe I messed up the battery or something? (But I hope not because it was a hassle to get the gpu in there with all the wires and the battery is under it)
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:32:40 AM

maybe clear the cmos explains how on this page towards the bottom unplug the power supply when you clear it
do you have another fan to plug in there might be worth a shot
make sure the motherboard screws are snug too don'ty want them to come loose if you get it going
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:38:59 AM

marco324 said:
maybe clear the cmos explains how on this page towards the bottom unplug the power supply when you clear it
do you have another fan to plug in there might be worth a shot
make sure the motherboard screws are snug too don'ty want them to come loose if you get it going

There are actully 2 fans on the cpu, the stock one to the mb and the other one to the psu. Ill try clearing the cmos..
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:51:06 AM

Still didn't work :/  ugh.
m
l
January 6, 2011 3:08:06 AM

damn i can't think of much else except trying to find the right 2 power pins looks like theres only 9 pins there if i could find a manual for that motherboard it would tell you the pin setup
m
l
January 6, 2011 8:44:21 PM

i just read this the four pin power on the top board near the cpu?
Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

oh ok i did not try resetting the bios with the jumped i went down the list (from lamp testing the socket in the wall all the way to step 18.) And it turns out that i had to switch around the power/reset switch connectors i put the reset one where the power one SHOULD go and it booted up and am now installing win 7. i double checked both my Mobo manual and the case manual to make sure i had everything in the right spot i then checked the colors of the wires and the label on the connectors my buddy has the same case as me so i called him up turns out my pwr_swch wire was labeled wrong
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302282-31-built-wont-...
m
l
January 6, 2011 8:48:22 PM

marco324 said:
i just read this the four pin power on the top board near the cpu?
Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

Yes that is plugged in so is the 24. Like it starts up and all it just auto shutsdown within like 30 seconds with no video output. Neither from the gpu or the motherboard
m
l
January 6, 2011 10:55:57 PM

i've had that happen to me and it was something not seated right
might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling video card check hdd connections to motherboard a loose cable will cause it to not start i doubt its anything serious ?
m
l
!