Hooking up the power and reset switch???

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I just bought a new case and i can't seem to find where to plug in the 2 pin power/reset switch into on my mobo, can anyone help please ? i have a stock HP Pavilion a6650f pc its an asus mobo. I replaced the power supply and the video card and it was working fine in the stock case. do i have to get a new mobo?

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I looked at the HP site and found nothing detailed enough to show that. Next step would be to look for the Asus model number and google that.

Can you trace the wires form the switch in the HP case to the mobo?

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00906129&lc=en&cc=de&dlc=en&product=3424294%E2%8C%A9=en
is this your motherboard the pins usually go on the same row upper or lower not 1 pin upper and 1 pin lower you won't hurt anything if you plug it in backwards and the pins from the case usually have writing the writing side always faces up and it should be a group of pins on the bottom of the mobo should say power Ps.
speaker. hd. re reset get amagnifiying glass check pins on lower right side or bottom off motherboard
ps if thats your mobo you can download possibly newer drivers there too

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, its a 8 pin connector. I tried wiring up the 2 pins to where the 8 pin went, but that doesn't seem to be working.

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

the motheboard i have is yellow, and i tried plugging them in doing what you said, both ways and it still wouldn't work :/ ill try and post some pictures if thats any help

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Napa-GL8E or just asus GL8E.
4714889.mic.jpg

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah i meant to, sorry. But the model and pic is up now.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
whats that group of pins under the bottom pci slot in the middle
did you get the power switch working hard drive light switch working?
or the lower right corner ? hard to see with just those pictures

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I found the markings where the pins go. Lower right hand corner. I plugged them all in with the letters facing toward the markings(right underneath the group of pins.

And the pins under the pci slot are usb 1/2

Most Asus MoBos, at least ones I have used label the pin headers. If ya can't find your specific model, you can also try looking for something close as vendors try and minimize parts inventories and will use the same pin arrangement on mutiple models.

I looked at the P755D for example

Page 2-39 shows a picture of the thing an it shows the two pins for the reset to be the two furthest to the right in the bottom row (in bold text)

oooooooooo
oooooooooo

Going from left to right, bottom row, on this mobo they are:

Pins 1 & 2 = HD LED
Pins 3 - 5 = nuthin
pins 6 & 7 = power switch
Pin 8 = nuthin
Pins 9 & 10 = reset switch

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I have it exactly as you decribe, still nothing...i tried plugging the connectors in the opposite way (words on the connector facing away from the markings on the mobo) and still nothing.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
thats unlikely some thing could have come loose do you have your old case
is the cpu and heatsiink seated snug cpu fan plugged in good connections to your hard drive maybe you screwed the motherboard down to tight or is grounding on something maybe try loosening the motherboard standoffs screws just a little

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Absolutely nothing is coming on. I have 5 fans connected directed to the psu. And im pretty positive everything is snug, i loosened some of the screws, made sure all connectors were in, made sure power to the psu was in all the way, tryed the switch both ways. Still nothing. When i had it in the case before, nothing would turn on unless the motherboard was on. The psu didnt even have its fan spinning or the blue led. I can take a picture of it if thats any help.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
try the power switch in different positions don't need the reset or speaker or hard drive light activity on yet ?
maybe it is up and down shut power supply off when doing this and back on after the wire is connected

iMarino

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Nope, no lights, no sounds.
Here are some photos..

Build
imag0046.jpg

The connectors
imag0045.jpg

-orange(power)
-Green(power led)
-red(hdd led)