First Time Builder

Hello,

This is my first time building a PC and I am a bit intimidated. If any of you have the time, could you please look over my current component selection and let me know if everything will work together?

Motherboard:
ASUS P6X58D

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930

GPU:
2x GeForce GTX 480

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB)

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 932

What do you think?

Thanks!

EDIT: If any of you have any case, liquid cooling unit, or power supply advice, I will appreciate any help you can provide.

EDIT 2: Budget is around $3,000.
7 answers Last reply
More about first time builder
  1. Instead of Dominators, I'd go for G.SKILL PI 3x2 GB kit.
  2. Thanks, what do you think about the mobo?

Also, do you have any suggestions for liquid cooling? Do I need to buy the parts all separate (pump, exchanger, tank, fan, meter, tubing, liquid, etc) or do any worthwhile pumps come all-in-one?
  3. Well do you have a budget established?
  4. blackhawk1928 said:
    Well do you have a budget established?

Yes - Around $3,000.
  5. Okay! Well depending on what your use is for the build I can start recommending the best parts :) Are you going to be gaming? VIdeo Editing? File Conversion? Web Browsing? Cad?..etc.
  6. I think that all the parts you selected are compatible and will work in that build. The CPU seems to be the bottleneck and the slowest choice. With those 2 480 video cards, why not chose an i-7 980X? It would be a benchmark record breaker. However, if I was building a system, I would only install one video card, probably an HD 5870 and use just 4 GB or RAM with an 1156 chipset.
  7. Answer to your first question: Yes. Everything is compatible.

Suggestions

1] If you are considering water cooling, have a look at the Gigabyte GA X58A UD7.

2] The Corsair Obsidian 800 is a great case specially built for water cooling setups.

3] The Corsair 950TX will be enough to power your overclocked rig.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs