Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle SD30G2

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2011 9:11:15 PM

Hi there,

I have a Shuttle XPC SD30G2 which is a Socket 775 system running a Core2Duo CPU. I want to upgrade to a Core i3/5/7 CPU. What motherboard will i need to buy to put it in this case. Is it even possible?

I contacted shuttle and they said i have to buy a whole new Shuttle system.

More about : shuttle sd30g2

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
January 5, 2011 10:11:14 PM

That's probably true. Shuttle puts non conforming boards in their boxes. Just like some old early IBM systems, so you have to buy from them. When I worked at IBM about twenty years ago, I bought a refurbished 486 system for the employee price of $899. The board had a bad mouse port, so I sent it back in, and it took over two weeks for a replacement system. I vowed to build my own from then on.
m
l
January 6, 2011 7:42:28 PM

o1die said:
That's probably true. Shuttle puts non conforming boards in their boxes. Just like some old early IBM systems, so you have to buy from them. When I worked at IBM about twenty years ago, I bought a refurbished 486 system for the employee price of $899. The board had a bad mouse port, so I sent it back in, and it took over two weeks for a replacement system. I vowed to build my own from then on.

thanks for that. one would have thought that there would be another board that would fit into this unit. surely i cant be the first person that has wanted to do this. ahhh well, i guess i'll have to get rid of the shuttle and build a tower from scratch. i liked the shuttle because of its size. to buy a new shuttle, its too much for me.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 7:54:18 PM

You can build some small PC's using the microATX form factor, and slimmer ones if you get a slim case. WHile it wont be as small as the shuttle it will still be a respectable size.
m
l
January 16, 2011 12:06:49 AM

Can i put a microATX board in a shuttle case?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
January 16, 2011 11:52:16 AM

No. Very unlikely. You're welcome to try, but shop anyway for a micro atx htpc case so when you see it doesn't fit, you're ready to order. I use the newegg specials; they sometimes have regular stand up cases for $20-25 shipped in their email promos. Htpc starts at around $50. In today's ad, frys in stores only (as far as I know) has a zotac amd mini itx board that uses ddr2 for $35, the same board they sold on black friday for $15 after rebate. It works with nearly all am2 or am3 cpus up to 95 watts.
m
l
!