Sign in with
Your question

Installing a windows 7 on new mBoard ,memory and CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2011 11:25:30 PM

(I have XP Pro 32) I'm about to install a windows 7 Pro 64 and I will have to change CPU , Motherboard and RAM ...
What is the best way to do it? Do I just change CPU , M-board , RAM and then put windows 7CD in drive to install. in BIOS..???
Will I be able to do it from wind 7 CD with my old hard drive (with old XP ) and all new motherBoard CPU and RAM????
Please advise with details if possible.
Thanks a million !!!
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 11:45:06 PM

Change your hardware and then clean install Win 7
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 11:46:14 PM

Ditto
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:20:05 AM

Treat this as a new build computer - that's really what it is. If you want to use the old HDD (the one with the XP), then perform an NTFS format on this HDD.

Now install all your new stuff, Follow this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

You will do fine!
January 6, 2011 12:42:42 AM

Ubrales said:
Treat this as a new build computer - that's really what it is. If you want to use the old HDD (the one with the XP), then perform an NTFS format on this HDD.

Now install all your new stuff, Follow this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

You will do fine!

I will need to install new Windows 7 on my old hard drive that is why not sure if I will be able to do it with all new hardware.
So is it better to perform an NTFS format on this old hard drive before I boot new windows 7 CD?????
Or it will make no difference?
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 2:09:20 AM

Just be aware that Win 7 OEM cannot be transferred from one computer to another! If you have the RETAIL version of Win 7, you may uninstall from one computer and re-install on a different computer, in accordance with Microsoft's license agreement.

Changing (upgrading) hardware will result in a "new" computer, and you may be out of luck with the OEM version of Win 7.

Make a call to Microsoft and discuss your particular situation. In some instances, Microsoft may issue you an Activation Code to activate the product, but this is not something that you are entitled to with the OEM version.
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:17:58 PM

You can do your format when you boot using the Win 7 DVD.
!